PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - Leather Cracking

mred
08-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Hello- I have a couple of leather sofa/loveseat sets I need to repair. One is creme and the other a brown color. Don't really know what to do as there seems to be many different opinions. Can someone in the know help? I don't want to spend alot as the creme set was from CL and the other garbage picked. BTW...I was wondering what "PH" damage is? Examples of the worst areas are pictured. Thank you!

Roger Koh
08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
BTW...I was wondering what "PH" damage is? Examples of the worst areas are pictured.

In a simple comparison, when ice melts, we can say that the ice is “temperature” damaged; because temperature rises above the freezing point and transform it to water. Having the above example in mind, let’s go into leather and see how they are pH damaged. Leather is hide/skin process into leather with other chemistry like the tanning agent, fatliquor and more others all holding together at the right pH value. The other constituents that make up the leather is always ionic negative (-ve) stable. While the leather protein fiber average 70% is unstable under alkaline (pH above 7) influence; and since protein fiber is amphoteric it will shift negative (-ve). The leather then at the molecular level behaves like magnet; negative (-ve) repels negative (-ve); also known as the denaturing of the leather. The side effects you see in picture #4 shows cracking. This cracking is due to the leaching out of the fatliquor when the leather is exposed to alkaline solution (pH above 7), becomes stiff and when flex, compress or stretch cracks. To prevent leather pH damages, all solution used should be between the pH of 3 to 5; otherwise if a higher pH is used, it should be neutralized with a lower pH value solution; to bring the leather back to its pH equilibrium, neutral pH of leather or so called the isoelectric-point of leather. When leather is at its prime health, it should have a tensile strength of 2000 psi. This picture #4 the cost of repair may not be justifiable unless this is a collector’s item.

I have a couple of leather sofa/loveseat sets I need to repair. One is creme and the other a brown color.

Pictures #1, #2 & #3; shows finish damages and the holistic sequence of restoration takes this manner as follows:

1] Preparation Cleaning:
Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0
With help using leather Brush-1, leather Eraser-4 and sanding with 1500/200grit.

2] Leather Rejuvenating:
Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0

3] Dry Preparation:
Repair to deep scratches with Stucco-90 > Sanding

4] Adhesion / Sealer / Foundation
Use Adhesor-73

5] Color Coating:
Use Micro Pigment-54 + Thickener-48

6] Topcoating:
Use Micro Topcoat-72matte

7] Non-stick, rub-resistant, buttery-feel and leather-scented protection:
Use Protection-B+

Products mentioned is found in this Kit Sa6.dr

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitSA6g.jpg
Leather Doctor® Semi-Aniline Leather – Color Refinisher - Degreaser – Kit Sa6.dr

Roger Koh
[email protected]

mred
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Hello Roger,

Thank you for the detailed explanation. So the brown, cracked couch if beyond rehab? Is there anyway to get to "sellable" you think? I went to your website looking for those products but it was "Closed for Maintenance". Thanks again for the help!

Roger Koh
08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Order the products direct through email

[email protected]

If you are keen to know how to salvage for resale - I will do it the next post.

Rather have an overview of the entire sofa, and post it as a new thread, would be less confusing with the "creame' ones.

mred
08-16-2012, 12:18 PM
Okay, great! Yes, I would love to know how to rehab for resale. I see so many different opinions and products so I'm not sure the best approach. Ever heard of vinylladies.com and their "Rub N' Restore" product? Is Fiebings dye any good? Any chance crack filler and light sanding will help the brown cracks? I was thinking about making both couches black because it would be easier than color matching if I could rehab the damage. Just want these presentable so they will sell. The creme color one was advertised as Natuzzi leather. The other one was a garbage pick. What type of leather would you call these? Any insight about replacing the screw in type legs? The creme one has a rather large hole as I was trying to use some old couch legs but that didn't work. From what I have been reading it seems to boil down to clean, strip, fill cracks, sand dye and top coat. Is that close or to much of an over simplification?Thanks so much!

Roger Koh
08-17-2012, 10:41 AM
From what I have been reading it seems to boil down to clean, strip, fill cracks, sand dye and top coat.

What is missing is the “Leather Rejuvenating” so the complete restoration process would be in this sequence:

1] Wet Preparation:
This is done with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 with tools like leather Brush-1, leather Eraser-4 and sanding grit 1500/2000. The main objective is to remove foreign contamination especially oily or greasy soiling residue, old and deteriorated finishes that may impede adhesion of new finishes. Notice the suffix number of products, these numbers is the pH value. At pH value below the neutral of leather approximate 4, the protein fiber is ionic positively (+ve) charged to strengthen the chemistry integrity of the leather structure.

2] Leather Rejuvenation:
This process objective is to return the leather to its original suppleness with strength; and it is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0

3] Repairs to the Leather Structure:
Leather structure looseness is strengthen by Impregnator-26 and repair to cracks, hlding them back together is by using Leather Bond-3D.

4] Adhesion Coating:
This is also known as sealing to even out the surface absorbency prior to color coating and to ensure proper adhesion; product use is Adhesor-73

5] Color Coating:
This is done with matching color Micro-Pigment-54 – these are finer micro-size pigment that will not give a plasticky feeling to the leather.

6] Topcoating:
Topcoating is done with Micro Topcoat-72 available in matte, satin or gloss.

7] Non-stick, rub-resistant, buttery-feel, leather-scent protection:
Use Protection-B+

Any insight about replacing the screw in type legs? The creme one has a rather large hole as I was trying to use some old couch legs but that didn't work.
Picture will help.

The creme color one was advertised as Natuzzi leather. The other one was a garbage pick. What type of leather would you call these?

These are “pigmented” leathers, pigment is used as finish to cover the leather with opacity (non see through) rather that aniline (see through). There are still varieties of pigmented leather, the two are the common mono-tone types. Besides looking at the finish, the value of the leather depends on the form of leather types as well; example a full-grain leather will be typically be micro-pigmented and will be the most expensive types among all pigmented leathers. Next is the top-grain leather, follows with corrected grain; corrected grain and embossed; split, coated and embossed will be the lowest grade. Simply to say, take a look at the reverse suede side, in comparison the finer the texture the more expensive the pigment leather is.

I was thinking about making both couches black because it would be easier than color matching if I could rehab the damage. Just want these presentable so they will sell.

When having a contrasting color change, having in mind that more attention is needed to crevices and corners; moreover when scratch the existing color will show.

Any chance crack filler and light sanding will help the brown cracks?

Sure sanding and filling will help improve the appearance of the cracks, but without rejuvenating the thickness of the structure and returning to its suppleness when dry; the repairs will soon crack when flexed.

I would love to know how to rehab for resale. I see so many different opinions and products so I'm not sure the best approach. Ever heard of vinylladies.com and their "Rub N' Restore" product? Is Fiebings dye any good?

Dyes are “transparent” and are not suitable for such restoration; micro-pigment is recommended not to produce a too heavy finish over existing finish.
Ever heard of the story of the Blind men and an elephant? “All opinions maybe partly in the right”, and to some these are acceptable standard, while others seek for an holistic answer.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

mred
08-17-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks. Roger! How much are these recommended products?

Roger Koh
08-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Please email me for products prices.

[email protected]

mred
08-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Done! Thank you!