PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Dyed Leather Sofa Starting to Dry Out and Show Excessive Wrinkling

LeatherNeophyte
04-08-2012, 07:50 PM
Hello Roger,
It's been a while since we last talked - thank you for sharing your knowledge on leather care and possible next steps to get my sofa back in shape. I performed the water test and did not see any absorption. I am posting selected pictures of my sofa. I'm hoping that you can recommend a cleaning/conditioning kit that will address some of the following issues:
1. Loss of suppleness - tackiness when running finger across sofa arms.
2. Extensive stretch on seat cushions causing puddling.
3. Starting to notice dryness and excessive wrinkles on top of back cushions.

Roger Koh
04-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Pictures show that this is pigmented two-tone effect.

If the reverse side shows that it is dyed then it’s a semi-aniline leather with a two-tone effect.

When water remain pooling on the surface, it’s tells that it is not an “aniline” leather type.

However, water will still absorb through when micro-creasing develops on semi-aniline and pigmented leathers.

1. Loss of suppleness - tackiness when running finger across sofa arms.

Suppleness of leather depends on the fatliquor level of the leather; as it diminish through evaporation in this case as gases (VOC) volatile organic compound, it loses its suppleness and will require replenishing to return to the desire softness with strength.

Tackiness may be due to the deteriorating of the topcoat – commonly due to alkaline overexposure from sweat and alkaline solution. This tackiness is the beginning of the wearing off of the secondary color commonly associated with Two-Tone leathers.

Rectification is by pH neutralizing with Acidifier-2.0 with a pH value of 2.0, partially remove the existing topcoat and refinish with gloss, satin or matte luster matching Topcoat-72.

2. Extensive stretch on seat cushions causing puddling.

Corrections are done by hydrating and fatliquoring the leather from the reverse suede side.

Preventive maintenance is done by rub-resistant protection on a routine basis; this will reduce the friction rubs that cuts stretching as the seating weight is easily shifted by the natural buttery-feel of the leather. This is done with leather scented Protection-B+, the odorless version is Protection-B (without the + sign).

3. Starting to notice dryness and excessive wrinkles on top of back cushions.

This is rectifiable by hydrating and fatliquoring from the reverse suede side to increase the suppleness thus reduces creases and wrinkles.

Kit Sa5.ts is recommended to address your immediate concern. . .

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Doctor%20products/KitSA5t.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Semi-Aniline Leather – Topcoat Refinisher - Tackiness pH Neutralizer - Kit Sa5.ts

Roger Koh
[email protected]

LeatherNeophyte
04-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Perhaps "tackiness" was not the right term. I meant to say that the leather feels dry when running finger across it. If I press down on the arm of the sofa with my finger, an impression remains with wrinkle marks radiating out from the impression. Is there a kit that does not include the Topcoat and Prep solutions? I would also like additional information on pricing and where the products can be purchased. Thank you.

Roger Koh
04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
>>> I meant to say that the leather feels dry when running finger across it.

Protection-B+ will solve this problem by imparting a natural buttery-feel; that ease the friction rubs.

>>> If I press down on the arm of the sofa with my finger, an impression remains with wrinkle marks radiating out from the impression.

The leather has loss its suppleness, from fatliquor that evaporates as VOC gases; hydrating with fatliquor replenishing will return the leather with softness and strength thus will reduce impression marks; however since it is non-absorbent it has to be replenished from the reverse side instead. Picture shows that this may be the frame of the sofa, and as such unless micro-crazing has developed it will be quite difficult to get the
below surface hydrated prior to fatliquor replenishing it.

Kit without the topcoat and prep is available; individual refills are available too. Need your shipping address to prepare you a PayPal invoice, email me instead!

Note:
Besides, the creases and wrinkles developing; the next stage of worry is the secondary color wearing off once the clear topcoat is not there from friction rubs as describe by being feeling “dry when running finger across it”.

Picture shows example of color rubs off from armrest and headrest – typical of a Two-Tone finish leather.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Leather%20Upholstery/Two-Tonecolorrub-off-0931.jpg

Roger Koh
[email protected]

LeatherNeophyte
04-21-2012, 01:57 PM
I Received the kit. I must say, I am somewhat overwhelmed with the number of products. I will need some guidance on how to start on the high wear areas and what I need to do differently for sections of sofa that are not visibly damaged (like sides and back).

Javier

Roger Koh
04-21-2012, 03:48 PM
We can start by indentifying the most used areas from body contact, especially the headrest, armrest or edge of seat cushion.

With your hand wet with tap water, see if you can pick the difference in feel between these areas and the unused areas.

Second is to drip water especially on the seat cushion to check if micro-creasing has developed and water absorbed or pools on the surface.

The wet finger or hand test is to determine the health of the finishes; squeaky is good, tacky or slimy is bad. This purpose is to determine the best approach to safely clean these areas without removing the sensitive Two-Tone finishes prior to topcoat restremgthening them.

The water absorbency test is to determine whether leather rejuvenating is possible from the surface; otherwise it has to done from the reverse suede side, or through stitching seams to take care of excessive wrinkling.

So, if you can show with pictures would be better; and we can move forward from these findings.

Roger Koh
[email protected]