PDA

View Full Version : Aged, filthy Volvo interior! Pictures inside as well as an assistance request!

Questions!
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
The seats feel like cardboard, seem to be a bit darker than other Volvos of same year (REALLY dirty?) no tears though.
The dash and interior trim is pretty stained (but not too cracked and damaged).
Here are my questions.
What is the best (most efficient, safest) product to use and should I just scrub away with a scrub brush?
It’s same with the dash and trim.
The dash and trim look to be darker/dingy in the exposed areas compared to the hidden areas, I think the entire interior needs to be scrubbed heavily.
I have a plan of attack for the carpets, just not the dash/trim and seats.
I haven’t worked on a car that is this age and this level of filth.
Thank you VERY much in advance!
Msuperbauer

Roger Koh
03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
1] Seats feel like cardboard.

This cardboard stiffness is due to diminishing of original fatliquor (ionic charged fat, oil and water). Fatliquor diminishing through evaporation as VOC (volatile organic compound) and leaching through breaking of hydrogen bonding; where a non-leather-safe alkaline solution is used and by degreasing with solvent contents solution like alcohol. Caution is to check the products used; its pH value and its alcohol contents, as the usage of such products will further harden the leather when dry.

Leather protein fibers shift poles and if a pH value of a cleaning solution is above the isoelectric point of the leather it will shift the protein fiber negative (-); all other leather constituents are mostly negative in nature too; thus the other constituent especially the more sensitive ones like the fatliquor will repel like magnet “like poles repel” and leach out during cleaning. When dry without the fatliquor that separates and lubricates the individual fibers acting like millions of connecting hinges becomes stick-together and the result may be stiffer than before.

Pure solvent will be without a pH value, most alcohol cleaners will still have a pH value; and if the pH is alkaline it will make the leather even stiffer when dry.

The answer to this leather cardboard stiffness is using “leather-safe” cleaning strategy with hydrating to relax and separates these stick-together leather fibrils prior to fatliquor replenishing it.

Why is it so?
This original non-absorbent leather now behaves just like aniline absorbent leather found commonly in the Ford King Ranch.
What solution used will affect the secondary leather structure, which will cause further denaturing of the leather by breaking of hydrogen-bonding and leaching them out.
We are no more just cleaning the mere coatings of the leather anymore; but the leather itself.

2] Seem to be a bit darker than other Volvos of same year (REALLY dirty?); Should I just scrub away with a scrub brush?

Scrubbing is done with the “physical mechanical action” sure contribute to the result; but should caution of doing over its threshold (most novice may be oblivious) and may cause more damages to the texture.
The ideal cleaning technique is to utilize contribution from these 4 factors, Chemical, Heat, Physical Action and Dwelling-Time:

A] Chemical – Leather-safe is using product range that has a pH value of between 3 and 5 (that is also the neutral pH of leathers); another consideration is the strength of the product and it can range from a prep-cleaner to super-cleaner to strong-cleaner to cleaner. In this situation is recommended to use a prep-cleaner within the pH of 3 and 5.

B] Heat – Heat is recommended to be done at room temperature, although the power of cleaning may double at every increment of 18 degrees; excessive heat may further shrink the leather causing lost to the fatliquor; resulting in further stiffness when dry.

C] Action - Scrubbing sounds too harsh for leather, agitation sound more like it; it is recommended to use a horsehair detailing brush and limit suedeing to the leather exposed grain.

D] Time - Products instructions that emphasize on dwell time usually works by “Penetration, Lubrication and Suspension” – you have paid for the products, shouldn’t you allow the products to take its time to do the dirty work safely for you instead?

3] What is the best (most efficient, safest) product to use?

Everyone will swear to you that the products they have mentioned works!

Anyway these are the general structure sequence of structural and finish restoration for your consideration.

Leather-Safe-Restorative-Cleaning > Hydrating > Fatliquor-Replenishing > Wet-Prep > Dry-Prep > Adhesion-Coating > Pigment-Coating > Topcoating > Rub-Resistant-Protection

“I haven’t worked on a car that is this age and this level of filth.”

And if this is your first attempt; you want to make sure you “Do It Right the First Time”.

You need to borrow someone’s “hindsight to become your foresight”.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
03-02-2012, 02:46 PM
A preview of the products you might need for this project…

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/KitAE3.jpg
Leather Doctor® Kit AE3 : Auto Aniline Leather Standard Care Kit

Auto aniline leather care Kit AE3 is design for aniline leather interiors like those found in the Ford King Ranch. These aniline leathers used transparent dyestuff and fine urethane topcoat to allow the natural beauty of the leather to show through. Aniline is the finest, besides the look and feel; it has better seating comfort as compared to the other semi-aniline and the pigmented leather types. These products pH value range from 3 to 5, that matches the pH neutral of leather to be leather-safe. It’s designed to provide safe and effective care of leather appearance through stain removal, cleaning, and protection. Including the essential leather rejuvenating system to prevent dryness and restoring its softness, suppleness and strength much desired for these finer leathers.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Auxiliary3-1.jpg
Leather Dyeing & Coloring Auxiliary (3):
Leather Adhesion Promoter, &
Leather Color Flow Controller.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Repairer5.jpg
Leather Repairer (5):
Leather Impregnator,

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Micro-Pigment12.jpg
Micro-Pigment Coloring System for Semi-Aniline Leathers (12):
Color:
Black,
White,