PDA

View Full Version : Hair-on-Hide (Zebra) - How to Clean an African Zebra Skin Coffee Table with Beverages Stains.

Roger Koh
01-25-2012, 03:24 PM
I've been reading your posts about cleaning a zebra skin and find your input very helpful. However, I have an African drum made out of zebra skin which I use as a coffee table. Since the skin is not accessible on the "suede" side, how would I go about cleaning the fur which has beverage stains on it? You mention a full array of products but there's no link on how to purchase them or how much they would cost.
The surface area that I would be cleaning is very small (approx. 20" in diameter.) I'm wondering whether these cleaning agents come in a smaller size to compensate for small areas since I don't have any other animal skins that would require cleaning. Please see some of the photos attached. Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated. I will look forward to your response.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/zebra-coffetable1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/zebra-coffetable2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/zebra-coffetable3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/zebra-coffetable4.jpg

Roger Koh
01-25-2012, 05:06 PM
Since the skin is not accessible on the "suede" side, how would I go about cleaning the fur which has beverage stains on it?

There are two sides to the care of “hair-on-hide”; the suede side is the structural integrity of the hide that is maintain by hydrating with Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0. It depend whether the hide is tanned and fatliquor originally; thus fatliquor replenishing periodically is recommended to replace what’s evaporated as VOC (volatile organic compound).

The cleaning of the hair side is done with Cleaner-5.5 > Rinse-3.0 to remove the other component of these compound stains; thereafter the “tanning” beverages stains are “bleach” with this leather and hair safe d’Tannin-3.5.

Cleaner-5.5 is a 2-in-1 hair-on-hide cleaner having a pH of 5.5 to match the pH of the hair from turning browning at the tip of white hair. This acid cleaner also helps tighten the scale of hairs to impart a natural luster. It will also sanitize the hair at the same time and control bacteria causing odor while drying, unlike other cleaners.

Rinse-4.0 follows to remove suspended foreign soiling to a healthy squeaky feel; and you will know the chemistry integrity is right.

Beverage stains “tanning” treatment is done by applying the d’Tannin-3.5 and let it dwell until natural dry to see the browning color disappearing.

Hair non-stick silky-feel lubricating protection is done with Protection-S+ that also imparts a classic leather scent with renew luster.

The surface area that I would be cleaning is very small (approx. 20" in diameter.) I'm wondering whether these cleaning agents come in a smaller size to compensate for small areas since I don't have any other animal skins that would require cleaning.

What you need is Kit H4 with d’Tannin-3.5 (in 30ml) as an add-on.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/106.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Kit H4 : Hair-on-Hide - Standard Care Kit

However, individual products are available and all comes in 250ml including the Protection-S+.

Although the surface area might be only 20” in diameter, we do not know how much of the stains you might have to pull out. And if it is penetrated, it will continue need to be wick up and may need repeat cycle of application / blotting / wicking-up / cleaning until nothing shows on a white towel that “bleaching” with d’Tannin-3.5 starts.

Check prices for kits, add-on and individual products from my emails; shipping information is required to prepare you a PayPal invoice.

Once you have the relevant products at hand, I will walk you through.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
Roger,

Thank you for your prompt shipment. Now that I have the products, I would appreciate your guidance as to how and In which order I would apply these, e.g. rinse, tannin, protector, etc. Finally, since the akin is quite old, it is shedding. Any suggestions as to which of the products would alleviate the shedding?

Roger Koh
02-08-2012, 04:35 PM
Is it the skin or the hair that is shedding?

Roger Koh
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
Finally, since the akin is quite old, it is shedding. Any suggestions as to which of the products would alleviate the shedding?

If the hair is shedding complete with the hair roots – the problem is in the deteriorating or dryness of the skin.
Hydrating and fatliquor replenishing will strength the skin to reduce the shedding problem.
This can be accomplished in this sequence of process from the hair side – Cleaner-5.5 > Rinse-4.0 > d’Tannin-3.5 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Cleaner-5.5 > Rinse-4.0 > Protection-S+.
Note:
Cleaner-5.5 > Rinse-4.0 is repeatedly done after Fatliquor-5.0 to remove fat and oil residue from the hair to a non-sticky feel prior to the silky protection-S+.

If shedding is due to breakage of the hair – it’s may be due to balance of pH from unknown spills turning it brittle, the pH value of hair is 5.5 and cleaning with the pH 5.5 cleaner with the pH 4.0 rinse may help restore the pH balance.

If shedding is due to end splitting – the hair itself may be too dry, routine protection with Protection-S+ will help lubricate it suppler to reduce friction shedding.

Now that I have the products, I would appreciate your guidance as to how and In which order I would apply these, e.g. rinse, tannin, protector, etc.

Recommended sequence of process is as follows:

Dry Soil Removal:
1] Dry vacuum with an upholstery tool in the direction of the lay of the hair.
Note: Since the hair is fragile, it’s recommended to reduce mechanical suction action by covering the tool with a thin cotton handkerchief.

Wet Soil Removal:
1] Liquid stains may have made the hair stick together; to avoid physical damages, it is recommended to spray the Cleaner-5.5 over such stains and use a hair comb to separate the stick-together hairs in the direction of the lay.

2] The brass Brush-3 is work in conjunction with a hair comb in the direction of the lay of hair and use a terry towel for extraction, until towel shows clean.

3] Repeat the process with Rinse-4.0 using brush-3 brushing at a slant angle in the direction of the lay of hair and towel extract until towel shows clean.

4] Leave to natural dry as absorbed stains may take the time to wick to the surface.

5] Spray Rinse-4.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean; and when no stains shows on the towel, the next treatment is to use the d’Tannin-3.5.

Tannin Treatment:
6] d’Tannin-3.5 is spray to the tannin stains, agitate with Brush-3; towel extract until towel shows clean and re-spray to leave it natural dry for the bleaching reaction to take effect.

7] Any residue may be vacuum away, follows with spray of Rinse-4.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean.

8] Repeat as necessary until stains are gone.

Optional Rejuvenating Process to Strengthen the Skin:
9] Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Cleaner-5.5 > Rinse-4.0.

Non-stick, Silky-Feel Protection:
10] Mist sprays Protection-S+ and brush in the lay of the hair for natural drying.

Please take pictures of steps followed, so we can help to see if it’s done accordingly.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
02-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Roger,

Leather Doctor to the rescue!

Thank you for checking in... It's been a busy few days so I haven't had the chance to report back.

The cleaning solution and rinse worked wonders in overall soil and stain removal. I was reluctant to apply the d’Tannin-3.5 as it seemed to bleach the white hairs while the bottom of the drum is quite a bit more beige in overall color. I applied the protective finish when done and as suggested it imparted a nice classic leather smell and a clean sheen to the hairs. The drum immediately looked markedly better.

However, after following the above steps, I found that by the next day the skin had significantly dried out. I scurried to apply some neetsfoot oil that I had on hand to the entire surface of the drum. This seems to have improved the overall condition and surprisingly did not leave an oily residue, which leads me to conclude that perhaps before applying the protection spray, I should have applied a fatliquor directly to the hairs. I would certainly welcome your further feedback. Overall, I am very pleased with the outcome and greatly appreciate your guidance... I would not hesitate to recommend you to anyone who might be looking to restore the health of their leather products.

Let me know if you are able to view the attached photos.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/ZebraCoffeeTable2.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/ZebraCoffeeTable1.jpg

Roger Koh
02-14-2012, 02:40 PM
If you would like to work further, my recommendation would be:

Tannin Stain Removal:
In order to have even color to the white, it has to be evenly sprayed and brush or comb deep into the skin. This I suggest to go over only to the white pattern.

Rejuvenating the Skin:
The skin can be further hydrated follows with fatliquor to rejuvenated the strength of the skin.
Hydrator-3.3 separates the fibers of the skin and precondition for better distribution of the Fatliquor-5.0 (negative charged fat, oil and water).
Unlike other stuffing oils, fatliquor hydrogen bond with the protein leather fibrils; the fat plumps the skin, the oil lubricate the fibers and the water leaves breather pores for effective transpiration that gives life and health to the skin.

Roger Koh
[email protected]