PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented - what is the difference of micro pigment and pigment color

Ramaral
11-01-2011, 04:43 AM
I am looking to see the difference between the the micro pigment you carry and the pigment color. i am looking to find the best product for touching up new furniture and repairing service warranty leather. i currently use Mohawk leather pigment but in the market to find other fits.

Roger Koh
11-01-2011, 09:14 AM
They may look exactly the same with no differences in prices but difference in finesse.

Micro pigment is recommended to be used for “semi-aniline” or “micro-pigmented” leathers. These leathers types are aniline dye through and easily recognizable with its reverse suede side color closed to the front. While the pigmented chrome-tanned leather suede side is often the grayish/blue no matter what the front color is.

In leather, finesse is more expensive comparing the semi-aniline versus the pigmented. Thus we developed this micro-pigment which has proven its worth as you can find being used in the forum more often than pigment in high-end home furnishing.

Note:
It is important to have either pigment or micro-pigment to be “sand-able” with 1200/1500grit sandpaper during repairs especially in between coating to blend in and disappear.

The training kits with hands-on in-house training would be a good way to start - http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7271

Roger Koh
[email protected]