PDA

View Full Version : How to fix this ’99 4Runner driver seat cracking problem?

Roger Koh
08-22-2011, 02:29 PM
My main project has been on this 99 4runner, the steering wheel as you have seen in the pictures was the main issue. However if the amount of product in that kit can help fix other problems as well then I can more easily get it. In the same vehicle the drivers seat is a disaster, I was quoted 250 to just recover it completly in a matching vinyl (that supposedly will match perfectly)..which seems like a decent deal. However if some of the products from say the steering wheel project could be used on the seats as well, then the steering wheel package is alot more affordable, etc. I've included pictures of that.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/07-27012a1.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/4Runner1-3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/4Runner2-3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/4Runner3-3.jpg

Roger Koh
08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
The below recommended product system for the steering wheel would also apply to the seat; instead of using the Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 system, the seat restorative cleaning system would be Prep-7.7 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0. All the rest are applicable in similar fashion.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/KitAP3R.jpg
Leather Doctor® Leather Degreaser Kit AP3.dr

Auto pigmented leather degreaser Kit AP3.dr - features Degreaser-2.2 with a pH value of 2.2. This is a high viscosity aqueous formulated leather degreaser; for degreasing leather of penetrated sweat, oil and grease stains from skin and hair contact. In most cases the finishes in these areas has deteriorated to allow such penetrated grease into the leather structure. Degreasing the leather structure will inevitably remove these deteriorated finishes as well. Therefore finishes restoration is a mandatory recommendation with degreasing as the 1st phase. Follows with leather rejuvenating as 2nd phase; leather impregnating as the 3rd phase; adhesion coating as the 4th phase; color coating as the 5th phase; top coating as the 6th phase and ends with a non-stick rub resistant protection for a holistic approach to leather restoration.

Restorative Cleaning System
This is the ultimate restorative or salvage cleaning system that removes accumulated soiling including the unwanted aged old conditioners to its original OEM finishes. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. This restorative cleaning is also achieved by the strength of the Prep-7.7 to effectively deflocculates those tough soiling with the help of the detailing horsehair Brush-1.
Instructions
1. It is recommended to use tap water for a wet finger test for tackiness or sliminess. If it is, acidifying it with Acidifier-2.0 found in Kit AP3.T to return the leather to a squeaky feel is highly recommended prior to Prep-7.7 application.
2. Apply Prep-7.7 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, to a panel at a time and let dwell for ˝ to 1 hour to deflocculate tough soiling.
3. Towel extract the suspended stain and check if the leather color is removed at the same time, especially where the topcoat has already worn out prior to application; protective matching satin or matte luster Topcoat-72 is recommended to further protect the colorcoat after Rinse-3.0, even though color may remain intact. Stain removal needs to be continued; otherwise it will eventually wick up on the new finishes too.
4. Sticky residue is removed by Cleaner-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and extract until towel shows clean.
5. This restorative cleaning system ends with Rinse-3.0 spray and towel extract to a squeaky clean.

Leather Rejuvenating System
Rejuvenating system is the process of restoring the original fatliquor diminished through aging and cleaning to return to its characteristic suppleness. Leathers, when wet and then dry again, have the tendency for the fibrils to becomes stick together - known as the Van der Waals or London force phenomenon. This results in stiffness and when flexed, may lead to premature cracks, as often seen on neglected leathers. It is recommended to hydrate these exposed leather structure and replenish the diminished fatliquor while it is still damp. When dry thereafter, the leather fibrils will be well separated and lubricated to slide over one another smoothly during practical usage.
Instructions
1] Apply Hydrator-3.3 with the foam brush to the exposed absorbent areas, especially the stitching seams and perforated panels.
2] Semi-absorbent panel is best applied through a layer of paper towel acting as reservoir, to allow a slow seep through the micro cracks.
3] The entire seat is thereafter wrapped with clear plastic sheet, to control evaporation for an overnight dwell.
4] A visual and hand massage inspection are to ensure thorough hydrating, with structure softness without blotchiness.
5] Fatliquor-5.0 follows the same procedure as the Hydrator-3.3, with in between drying application as water evaporates.
6] When dry the surface is check for strays from milky to clear, using the hydrator to further drive the fatliquor into the leather structure.
7] The rejuvenated leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Repairer5.jpg
Leather Repairer (5):
Leather Structure Impregnator,
Leather Bond,
Leather Bonding Aid,
Leather Stucco &
Leather Patch.

Leather Doctor® Impregnator-26
It’s a Leather Surface Repairer for Pigmented and Aniline leather types.
This is a protein compact resin blend compound impregnator.
It’s for impregnating worn leather grains and micro cracks.
It’s to seal, strengthen and leveling out uneven absorption for further coating process.
It fills and tightens with good leveling properties that is film forming for improve abrasion resistance.

Leather Doctor® Leather Bond-3D
It’s for leather structure bonding repairs.
This is an aqueous medium soft polyurethane leather bond that will not lift the leather finishes unlike other solvent based glue.

Leather Doctor® Leather Stucco-90
It’s for leather filling repairs or in conjunction with leather Bond-3D colors and dyes.
This is aqueous high concentrated compact resin blend leather stucco.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Auxiliary3-1.jpg
Leather Dyeing & Coloring Auxiliary (3):
Leather Adhesion Coating,
Leather Topcoat Crosslinker &
Leather Colorcoat Flow Controller.

Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73
It’s an auxiliary for Pigmented and Aniline leathers refinishing.
This is an aqueous compact resin adhesion promoter to ensure proper adhesion prior to color coating.
It's also added to Aniline Dye-21 for dye coating absorption resistant areas to reduce color blotchiness.
And it’s also used after WaxEffect8.6 prior to top coating.

Leather Doctor® Thickener-48
This is an auxiliary aqueous carboxylated acrylic co-polymer thickening agent to stabilize color during spraying.
It’s to adjust the flow of color to improve hold-up especially on vertical panels and antiquing two-tone fashion leathers.
It is highly effective and maintains the viscosity over the period of use.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Micro-Pigment12.jpg
Semi-Aniline Leather Coloring System (12):
Micro-Pigment Black Color,
Micro-Pigment White Color,
Micro-Pigment Tan Color,
Micro-Pigment Ochre Color,
Micro-Pigment Maroon Color,
Micro-Pigment Yellow Color,
Micro-Pigment Orange Color,
Micro-Pigment Red Color &
Micro-Pigment Blue Color.
Micro-Pigment Gloss Topcoat,
Micro-Pigment Satin Topcoat &
Micro-Pigment Matte Topcoat.

Leather Doctor® Micro Pigment-54
It’s micro-pigment for semi-aniline leathers.
It's an aqueous soft compact resin blend high performance pigment color; strong against UV light than standard pigment.
Standard colors available in Black-512, White-505, Tan-586, Ochre-584, Maroon-502, Yellow-

Leather Doctor® Micro Topcoat-72G, S or M
It’s a choice of gloss, satin or matte finish for Micro-Pigmented, Semi-Aniline leathers.
This micro-pigment topcoat is an aqueous soft polyurethane leather topcoat.
It is lightfast and non-yellowing.
It has excellent flow and leveling properties.
Recoatable and forms a flexible film coat.
It gives good performing results when used for fine semi-aniline effects.

Roger Koh
[email protected]