PDA

View Full Version : This a cheap leather thing?

MJN
07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Keep in mind these are not my seats but they are from same vehicle as the ones I have posted in another thread. Im just cuirous what would do this? Is this a case of cheap leather used or what. The pics of the seats i am using this person is getting the seat replaced under warrenty but, can it happen again?

Roger Koh
07-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Not sure what you are talking about...

Can you rephase, please?

Roger Koh
[email protected]

MJN
07-12-2011, 04:06 PM
The wrinkle looking finish in the leather what causes this, could it be just cheap leather or bad finishing? The dealer is giving him a new seat under warrenty but this is not the first time of seeing this same thing in other seats on my forum and the thinking of the cause of this is cheap leather Ford is using. One is saying his leather is cracking and even the black is coming off.

Roger Koh
07-13-2011, 11:23 AM
The wrinkle looking finish in the leather what causes this,

The pictures show the back of the section as “coarse break” (artificially created by flexing). It may be a sign of dryness due to diminishing fatliquor and will most likely becomes coarser as fatliquor continues to evaporate by heat as VOC (volatile organic compound). Simply say the leather has lost it suppleness. Hydrating and fatliquoring through the stitching seam is the solution to hold up this structure weakness.

could it be just cheap leather or bad finishing?

Nothing to do with the finishing, it is the structure “emptiness” or “dryness”. The average total thickness of the leather is 1mm, the average finish thickness averages 0.02mm. It is usually the structure that affects the finishes.

One is saying his leather is cracking and even the black is coming off.

The “coarse break” if leave unattended to replenish the diminishing fatliquor will eventually leads to cracking with constant flexed when used.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

MJN
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
As always excellent info thanks Roger. Kinda along the lines of what I was thinking from what I contuine to learn but just wanted to confirm :D