PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - dye transfer stain - I have a white leather couch and there is red/pink dye transferred stain from a cushion stained onto the seats and really hope I can get it out!

Roger Koh
06-09-2011, 11:26 AM
I have a white leather couch and there is dye transferred from a cushion stained onto the seats. It is a red/pink stain

Not sure how long the cushion was on for. Not sure how old the couch is as I bought it used. I didn't notice the discoloration until I got home. Now I am made I bought it and really hope I can get it out.

Ok I have tried guardsman leather cleaner and weiman leather cleaner and polish. I have also tried mr clean magic eraser. The magic eraser got some of the pink out but much remains. I will also need a leather conditioner.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/S-Dye1-3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/S-Dye2-3.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/S-Dye3-3.jpg

Roger Koh
06-09-2011, 01:46 PM
I believe these pictures are after your attempt with Mr Clean Magic Eraser.
“The magic eraser got some of the pink out but much remains.”

Was there any effect at all with the other cleaners as well before you tried the eraser?

Anyway the magic eraser works just like fine sandpaper – physically removing the penetrated stains together with micron layers of finish with it too.

Thus the topcoat is removed for sure that need refinishing with matching satin or matte Topcoat-72.

The colorcoat without the protective topcoat becomes weaker against chemical reaction either with Prep-7.7 or Bleach-10.3.

The continue effort to have the stain gone is not much of a choice; thus a matching (Pigment Micro-54) may be necessary as a standby.

Hopefully a little caution avoiding physical rubbing may still keep the colorcoat intact, is the objective; with only a mandatory topcoat refinishing to re-strengthen it.

This is the recommended kit that uses the Prep-7.7 as the first phase, d'Tarnish-1.3 as the second phase and Bleach-10.3 as the third phase, with Acidifier-2.0 as the pH neutralizer.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Kit-PISs.jpg
Leather DoctorŽ Pigmented Leather Ink and Dye Stain Removal Kit-PIS5

Individual products and instructions can be found in this link: http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360

We shall discuss the how-to when you are ready to proceed.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

These are the refinishing products…you will need the Topcoat-72 – and hopefully you may not need the rest by keeping the colorcoat intact.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Auxiliary3-1.jpg
Leather Dyeing & Coloring Auxiliary (3)

Leather DoctorŽ Adhesor-73
It’s an auxiliary for Pigmented and Aniline leathers refinishing.
This is an aqueous compact resin adhesion promoter to ensure proper adhesion prior to color coating.
Ready-to-Use packing sizes are available in 60ml, 250ml and in Quart.

Leather DoctorŽ Thickener-48
This is an auxiliary aqueous carboxylated acrylic co-polymer thickening agent to stabilize color during spraying.
It’s to adjust the flow of color to improve hold-up especially on vertical panels and antiquing two-tone fashion leathers.
This product is available in 60ml and 120ml.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Micro-Pigment12.jpg
Semi-Aniline Leather Coloring System (12)

Leather DoctorŽ Pigment Micro-54
It’s micro-pigment for semi-aniline leathers.
It's an aqueous soft compact resin blend high performance pigment color; strong against UV light than standard pigment.
Standard colors available in Black-512, White-505, Tan-586, Ochre-584, Maroon-502, Yellow-526, Orange-504, Red-554 and Blue-540.
Ready-to-Use packing sizes are available in 60ml, 250ml and in quart.

Leather DoctorŽ Topcoat Micro-72
It’s available in Gloss, Satin or Matte to match existing luster.
It’s for Micro-Pigmented or Semi-Aniline leathers.
This is an aqueous soft polyurethane leather topcoat.
It is lightfast and non-yellowing.
It has excellent flow and leveling properties.
Recoatable and forms a flexible film coat.
It gives good performing results when used for fine semi-aniline effects.
Ready-to-Use packing sizes are available in 60ml, 250ml and in quart.

Roger Koh
07-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Place a drop on the edge of the stain, let it dwell 2 to 4 hours and see if the stains moves, otherwise retry another 8 hours or overnight and see what happen to the stain. Take pictures before and after.

lawsonsh
07-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Hi place a drop of which chemical??

Roger Koh
07-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Place a drop of Prep-7.7

lawsonsh
08-24-2011, 02:07 PM
Hi Roger, I finally got around to attempting to fix my couch. I used the drops of 7.7 and the pink color came right up. Whats next? Do I apply a layer of 7.7 to all parts that are pink tinged? Also what is step to to repair the surface?

Roger Koh
08-24-2011, 03:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Roger, I finally got around to attempting to fix my couch. I used the drops of 7.7 and the pink color came right up. Whats next? Do I apply a layer of 7.7 to all parts that are pink tinged? Also what is step to to repair the surface?

Show us some pictures of what's be done!

Yes apply a layer of Prep-7.7 to the entire section with the foam brush - as soon as the color moves - extract with towel - repeat if necessary - otherwise remove the sticky residue with Cleaner-3.8 - follows with Rinse-3.0.

Show us some pictures, if the finish is still in good condition - no repair is necessary - proceed with the non-stick proterction with Leather Scent-B.

Roger

spotlessclean
08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
I was in a similar situation myself, not with dye, but with ink (which by the way is much worse!). Anyway, I used a lot of cleaners and it eventually began looking like a pale blue version of what you've shown us. I looked everywhere for a product to get rid of those stains, and I was afraid for the worst until I came across Prep-7.7. It did the job with just a few drops. Definitely recommended :-)

lawsonsh
08-25-2011, 05:21 PM
HI Roger,

While the 7.7 appears to be working I need more of the product. Could you send a large bottle or 3 of the smaller bottles?

Also as I used the magic eraser to attempt to get some the the stain originally I think i need to fix the surface, I just want to make sure I have enough of those products to do three seats cushions as well.

Roger Koh
08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
I have email you the packing size and price for the Prep-7.7 and Topcoat-72

Also as I used the magic eraser to attempt to get some the the stain originally I think i need to fix the surface, I just want to make sure I have enough of those products to do three seats cushions as well.

To fix the surface, do you just need the topcoat or the color coat as well.

If the color is still intact, what you need is the matching topcoat.

Topcoat comes is Matte, Satin and Gloss luster.

To do just the three cushions you have to match the existing luster as well.

The only way to determine the luster level is to test it on unused areas, perhaps the reverse side of cushion.

The three level of luster can be intermixed to achieve a custom sheen as well.

Roger Koh
[email protected]