PDA

View Full Version : Aniline leather - Adding gloss finish to new dull aniline

jasonwatkinspdx
10-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Hi,

I've recently purchased an anilne couch and chair. The pieces have a much more flat finish than I expected based on the leather swatch samples I saw. Since the pieces were sold at clearance, I'm not particularly disappointed, but I'd like to know if there's a way I can add a bit more of a glossy finish myself.

Roger Koh
10-31-2010, 11:50 AM
Yes it can be re-topcoated with Topcoat Aniline-79G (gloss) as found in this kit; however it is recommended that the leather is prep clean prior to topcoating: Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-4.0.

If it is absorbent, hydrating and fatliquoring is recommended as a second continuous process prior to topcoating.

Topcoating is done when the leather is completely dry and dry preparation using leather eraser, brushing or fine sanding with 1200 / 1500 sanding paper prior to airbrushing them to give the best appearance without the streaks as compare to padding.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

#1. Aniline - Leather Care Kit A250.pdet
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/A250pdet-AnilineLeatherCareKit.jpg
Contents:
Prep-4.4 - 60ml
Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
Topcoat Aniline-79G -60ml
Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
Leather Scent-B - 120ml
Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
Leather Brush-1 - 1pc
3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
Washable Rags - 5pcs

Aniline Leather Problem Shooting Guide
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/A-LeatherProblemGuide-1.jpg

Roger Koh
11-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Since this is brand new leather, how important is the cleaning
process, or could it be skipped this time without dire results?

To reapply a new topcoat; technically it has to done onto the original; nothing should be in-between to cause an adhesion problem; be it micron layers of soiling or unknown aftermarket conditioner; otherwise it has to be stripped clean to the original tannery finish. You decide!

In your reply you mentioned hydrating and fatliquoring if the leather is absorbent. How do I determine if this is needed?

By looking at the leather texture to see of wrinkles or creases; by testing with water droplets to see how fast the absorbent rate comparing the unexposed with the exposed areas; by comparing the shade of the color between exposed and hidden will also tell the dryness of the leather.

A healthy leather moisture level should average 15% when it’s dry, otherwise it’s time to top up; and this is mostly from the fatliquor (fat, oil and water). It’s this lifeblood of leather that gives the leather its characteristic suppleness not found in any other material.

Besides it also plays an important role in the feel, handle, softness, thickness that also affects the shade of the aniline color.

I don't have an airbrush. I do have an HVLP paint spraying system. Is
this suitable for the 79G? Alternately I assume I can wipe the
material on at the risk of some streaking?

It would depend how grainy the texture is; application can be from a foam brush to a better plush brush to compressed air spraying. However from experience spraying will give a better shine due to fine deposition of the finish.

I'd need enough to do a couch and love.

It would depend on how absorbent the finish is and how many layers you wish to apply to your custom satisfaction. On average two quarts would be enough, for there are exceptions too! Don’t forget the leather needs to breath for seating comfort! And absorbency is as good as breathability; for the leather to self regulates through transpiration; the taking and releasing moisture from and to the atmosphere.

I suggest you post some pictures!

Roger Koh
[email protected]