PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented - Two-tone: Streaking Discoloration: How to solve this streak problem?

Roger Koh
07-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Leather Identification:

From this picture visual leather identification it looks like pigmented leather.
(Need a phisical inspection to confirm)

Stain Identification:

This streak shows both circular and elongated flows.

Probably from solution that contains some kind of solvent that causes the protective top coat to melt away.

Objective:

Matching protective top coats may be the answer to this problem, otherwise requires a color match too!

Procedure steps:

Step 1
d’Grease4.9™ is recommended to degrease the entire arm.

Step 2
clean3.8™ is recommended to clean all sticky residue.

Step 3
rinse3.0™ is recommended to rinse until towel shows clean.

Step 4
semiTop57G™ gloss, semiTop57M™ matte or a mix between them to get a satin look is the choice topcoat system, besides others.
It is then tested against existing hidden area for an exact match.

Step 5
The matching topcoat is to be further test again on a little corner of the streak.
If it matches the job is done.

Step 6
Then follows by leatherScent’B™ a non-stick, buttery feel leather scent conditioner.

Step 7
Otherwise, some colors have been removed by the solvent content too.

Step 8
semiColor74™ color matching is require to match the existing color before step 5 and 6.

Pick your choice, either products DIY or professional services the above procedure applies.

What do you think?

Roger Koh
[email protected]
604 468 2340

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/StreaksonPigmentedLeather.jpg

Shorty Down Under
07-05-2008, 12:51 AM
To me, it appears that it may be a windex (window cleaning solution) product that has taken away the top coat also what appears to be black speckles.

Bear in mind that I do not have your products as yet, but with what I have, I would do the following.

It does not appear to have damaged the grey pigment, so I would probably leave the grey alone.

I would clean the area with a strong cleaner to remove any foreign matter.

Rinse with distilled water.

Apply the black pigment (speckles).

Apply two top coats of gloss with duller to achieve the satin finish.

This is what I have done in a similar situation with a green/black Chesterfield with acceptable results for the owner.

Shorty.

Roger Koh
07-05-2008, 03:50 PM
Shorty,

Appreciates your participation!

Put the products aside first!

We go generic.

Principle is the same.

It appears to me too, that the pigment looks good too but only upon closer inspection can we be certain.

I think as you do, the color is only for a standby.

I would certainly want to avoid it if possible as without a perfect match the end result may took worst.

This (speckles) is new to me, what is it, only in black?

Out and Over!

Roger Koh

NoFace
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
I think Shorty has the right idea. It appears that only the print coat has been removed, and the base color is unaffected. What's the best way to re-apply the print (speckles?). It seems the real problem is the the defined edge of the problem area. If you apply print color via airbrush or some other tool, how do you confine it only to the area where the print is missing? Any bleed-over (across the line) and the already-dark existing print will be made even darker, contrasting against the print that falls onto the base color only.
Shorty, how did you solve this problem? I've always had to re-match the base color, blur the demarcation line at the edge of the problem area, and then re-print, with clear-coat over that.

Shorty Down Under
07-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Sorry for my tardiness this last couple of weeks.

When I say speckled, I refer to the specks of black pigment, not like a solid colour. Just black over-spray in speckles ?? :o

I'm no expert on this, merely an avid learner that has made a lot of mistakes, but I keep on learning from them.

As I said above, re; the prep; steps.

For the application of the black over spray, which I think appears to be similar to a two tone effect.

To me the black appears to be a roller coated effect (?).

I would first mask off the good areas where you do not want excessive amounts of the black.

Gentle application of the black with an air brush, combined with a hair dryer in the other hand.

In effect, you are holding both tools side by side, this gets a quicker dry as well as giving the black more gloss.

You would be "feathering" the edges for lesser black.

This would be an on/off application to get small shots of the black until you get the desired effect.

I have performed similar on a green Chesterfield, however, in that case, I removed all the black from the entire cushions and re-sprayed the black over again.

Following the black would be two coats of top coat finish.

Hope you can understand what I mean, my translation is not that good at times.

regards,

Shorty.

PS ::: Roger, thanks for the pm ;)