PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented-Monotone: Ballpoint Ink: How to Remove Ballpoint and Marker Ink from our White Sectional Leather Sofa?...by Mark.

Roger Koh
12-03-2008, 11:24 PM
I've been googling for solutions to some ballpoint and marker ink that my three-year-old left all over our white sectional leather sofa.

I saw your name in several forums discussing products such as Leather Doctor dInk7.7, plus a rinse and (as I understood it) some kind of dye that would help to re-color the leather if the d'ink7.7 removes some of the white along with the ink.

Since seeing your notes, I've searched around for these products, but can't seem to find an online store that sells them.

Do you know where I can find them?

I'm not a professional -- I'm a total novice who happens to own a leather couch that is something of a family heirloom and I'd like to buy quantities appropriate for family use.

Do you sell it or know where I can buy it?

The stain has been there for two months.

Within a day after it first happened, I attempted to remove it using Magic Eraser and some store-bought leather cleaner (I don't know the brand).

After looking around on the internet, I also tried bug spray and perfume.

I tried each of these repeatedly for about two weeks, and then gave up until I found your information online yesterday.

My method was to apply each of these cleaning agents and then rub with a soft towel, rinsing with water.

So the stains have been there for about two months and the cleaning attempts where 6-8 weeks ago.

I am pretty sure that the stain has soaked into the leather, because it looks like some of the ink is a little dissipated from the surface, and also because of how hard it was to scrub any of it out.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks Mark.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/DSC02274-01.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/DSC02289-01.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/DSC02290-01.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/DSC02291-01.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/DSC02293-01.jpg

Roger Koh
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
The stains have to go for sure.
But the stains if left alone in the first would be easier to deal with of course!
However we need to do a test on which methods produce the most ideal result.
Thereafter we can consider how to match the color and do a refinishing.
d’Marker10.5™ removes Sharpie® Permanent Marker on non-absorbent leathers.
This product works instantaneously, any residual stains can still be work on by d’Ink7.7™.
The second product to test is d’Ink7.7™ that works well on ballpoint ink.
This product works so slow but very safe on non-absorbent leathers.
Residual stains of either product can still be work with bleach10.3™.

Testing is preferred on isolated stains not more than 1 inch in length.

Test #1 - d’Marker10.5™
Step 1: Saturate d’Marker10.5™ on a cotton swab and rub on a hidden area to test the finish strength.
Step 2: If the finish strength is good, then proceed testing on a corner of both the ballpoint and marker stains.
Step 3: When the result is satisfactorily, continue.

Test #2 - d’Ink7.7™
Step 1: Level the stains on a horizontal level.
Step 2: Drip one drop d’Ink7.7™ at the end of each ballpoint and marker stains.
Step 3: Let it dwell for at least an hour.
Step 4: Thereafter use a cotton swab and lift the stains.
Step 5: Repeat step 2, and let dwell another 4 hours or overnight and lift stains again with a cotton swab.

Test #3 - bleach10.3™.
Step 1: Mixed bleach10.3™ with warm water 90ºF to a creamy paste with non-metal tools.
Step 2: Apply on the same spots as test #1 & #2.
Step 3: Use a skewers stick or tooth pick to apply onto the non-absorbent stains (water pools on stain surface).
Step 4: Let it dwell a minimum of 6 hours for chemical reaction to take effect (repeat as necessary and leave overnight).
Step 5: To neutralize its high alkalinity - use acidifier2.0™.
Step 6: To clean up residues - use clean3.8™.
Step 7: To acidify rinse it - use rinse3.0™.

We will go from there depending on the result of these testing.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System

markgoldrup
12-04-2008, 09:37 AM
We will go from there depending on the result of these testing.

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor® System
Thanks so much, Roger! It sounds like, between the three of those products, we should have a decent solution. :)

Roger Koh
12-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Yea! It would not be a problem with these combinations if they were left untouched.

To see the difference in the testing, I suggest you take hold of the same marker and ballpoint pen, and mark them at a hidden corner (maybe the underside) now if possible to let them set a few days before a test removing them.

That will give you the standard removal procedure and best to practice on such before attempting on these “corrupted stains”.

Can you also identify which lines that are done by Marker and which are done by ballpoint?

Roger.

Roger Koh
03-16-2009, 03:01 PM
>>>Sent: Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:42 PM
>>>To: Roger Koh
>>>Subject: Re: ink on white sofa on pigmented leather - Mark

>>>Hi Roger.
>>>I just wanted to let you know that the d'Ink7.7™ worked great and it did not seem to discolor the leather at all.
>>>So thanks again for all your help!!

Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 3:29 PM
To: M...
Subject: RE: ink on white sofa on pigmented leather - Mark

Dear Mark,

We appreciate you send us some pictures to confirm that the d'Ink7.7™ works great!

Roger