PDA

View Full Version : Cowhide Rug - How to Condition it to Lay Flat?

colt
12-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I have a Brazilian tanned hair on cowhide that has been on the floor for a couple of years and the hide appears to be pulling together just behind the front legs on both sides. It is the same area on either side of the backbone and goes to the outer edge of the hide and creates a buckle that is easy to trip over when walked on. Is there a product or procedure that can be used to make the hide soften or stretch enough in that area to allow it to lay flat? The rug itself is still very soft and all other areas lay flat. Can you tell me what causes this?

Roger Koh
12-21-2008, 09:35 AM
The cause is mainly due to the diminishing fatliquor throughout the different thickness of the hide -
therefore uneven dimensional shrinkage that result in stiffness and buckle

To relax the buckle - Hydrator-3.3 pH 3.3 is spray soak into the thickness of the hide to hydrate it,
if it is semi-absorbent covering up with a clear plastic overnight will help better even absorption.

Observed how the hide relax and straighten out to your satisfaction.

Now it is the time to replenish the fatliquor with Fatliquor-5.0 for suppleness and strength.

Spray Fatliquor-5.0 and let it soak in as well and allow slow natural drying.

Additional application can be done when the hide is semi-dry.

This treatment will eliminate the buckle.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
01-06-2009, 10:53 AM
Roger,
Attached is a picture of the rug.
How much I would need for a 2m x 2m rug.
Jeremy Hull.
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/P1030516.jpg

Roger Koh
01-06-2009, 01:07 PM
The amount used for both products (Hydrator-3.3 & Fatliquor-5.0) depends on:

1. Leather Thickness.
2. How Dry.
3. How relax and soft you wish to achieve.

We only can approximate, better with leftovers for future or other uses than have it short during work in progress.

I would suggest you go for the concentrates, example:

Hydrator-3.3 250ml concentrate mixed with 25 parts distilled water makes you 6.5 liters.
Fatliquor-5.0 906ml concentrates mixed with 5 parts distilled water makes 5.44 liters.

Jeremy Hull
01-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi Roger,
many, many thanks for the information on quantities - one final piece of info if you can please - where can I get the products being here in the UK. I cant even get Leather Doctor off google!

look forward to hearing back.

Jeremy Hull.

Roger Koh
01-07-2009, 03:59 PM
Where can I get the products being here in the UK?

Express Postal Service takes about 4 business day direct from Leather DoctorŽ.
Check your email for prices.

Also could you recommend a leather smell product – some of the leather we bought from Morocco has a rather rank smell to it!

Determine on the source of the smell and the possibilities are:

1: Smell from within the leather structure - it’s inherent nothing can do about it until it’s completely evaporated depending on their percentage of VOC (volatile organic compound) that carries the smell out.

2: Smell from the leather surface - A complete restoration cleaning to strip the foreign contamination in conjunction with an odor control and leather scent conditioner will eliminate the smell.

Sequence of process: Super Cleaner-4.9 + d’Odor-4.5 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > leatherScent’B, D, S or W.

3: Smell that is cause by bacteria decay - requires sterilize treatment with d’Bacteria-3.7 prior to masking with leather scent.

More product information can be found in this link:

http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=360

Roger Koh
[email protected]