PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Sauvage) - How to Restore this Cat Scratched, Sun-Faded, Tired, Body Oil Stained 3-Seater Full Leather Club Couch ? by Alex

Roger Koh
04-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi Roger,

I found your info on a really interesting forum on-line.
I'm hoping you can help me with my leather couch.
Your responses to the forum questions have convinced me that you know what you're doing and you're man to ask!

My couch looks a little tired, but I think it can be restored.
Our cats have made surface scratches all over it.
The front has faded because it faces the sun.
And there seems to be human oil on the front side of the seat cushions only. It's a 3-seater full leather club couch.
I have pieces of the original leather to send you for a colour match or type if that helps.

So my questions
- How?
- How long does it take?
- How much will it cost?
- What are my options?

Please see attached photos.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Alexcouch1of4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Alexcouch2of4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Alexcouch3of4.jpg

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn4/Rogerkoh/Alexcouch4of4.jpg

Thanks a lot Roger!

Best,
alex

Roger Koh
04-20-2010, 01:03 PM
How do we like to restore it?
Majority of the leather restoration you see elsewhere reveals that they are heavily pigmented and looks plastiky and cheap.
Seldom have you seen that the original leather types are retain but rather pigment coated that kills the aesthetic original natural beauty of grain and depth.
We are more interested in the fine art of leather restoration that allows us to restore back to its original finishes.
Restoring the leather structure is generally ignored but we know it is fundamental as its strength and suppleness lies there and it’s the foundation for a good finishing.
Besides the leather structural integrity for strength of usage and suppleness, aesthetic for appeal, the tactile-feel (buttery, draggy, silky or waxy) and the leather classic leather scent contributes to the emotional appeal of why leather is so charming and much sought after as upholstery material of choice.

Leather Finish Type Identification:
From picture #1, the paler color bottom seat edge reveals that the protective topcoat has worn off.
It’s a typical observation only from Standard Aniline Leather Type and using only Topcoat Aniline-79G test with a cotton swab will brings back the original beauty with color of the leather again – will confirm it’s Aniline Leather.

How to repair Cat Scratches?
From picture #3, we can see holes and lines and flaps from picture #2.
The holes need a dental prick to ease out the fiber and skin and bond with Leather Bond-3D.
Flaps will be bond back in place with the same leather bond from the underside.
And majority of the scratches can be repaired with Impregnator-26.

How to Remove Stains?
Body Grease:
From picture #1, besides the body grease stains which is easily remove by Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0.
Unknown Stains from Animal or Human:
The unknown stains, if it comes from the fluid of animal or human probably need a protein stain removal as some of these stains may contain protein that coagulate that makes removing more difficult and d’Protein-11.0 is necessary.
Blood stains may turn dark brown and requires a tarnish removal to oxidize the iron that produces a rusty color after d’Protein-11.0.
Unknown Stains from fruit or vegetable source:
Any tannin colored stains as seen in picture #1 and #4 may need the help of d’Tannin-3.5 to remove them.

The general restoration structure can be done in this sequence:
Step 1:
Use Degreaser-2.2 to those body grease area – agitate and dwell.
Cut Degreaser-2.2 half with distilled water to the used area.
Cut the half strength Degreaser-2.2 further to half to the non-body contact area.

Step 2:
Acidifying rinse them all until towel shows clean with Rinse-3.0.
Scrub with leather Eraser-4 to remove deteriorated finishes.

Step 3:
Do the specialty spots and stains removal with matching products mentioned above.

Step 4:
Hydrate the leather structure and relax the leather structure – thus reduce the creases and tiredness with Hydrator-3.3.

Step 5:
Rejuvenate the leather structure for suppleness and strength – with Fatliquor-5.0.

Step 6:
The necessary repairs are done at this stage from wet to semi-dry mentioned above.

Step 7:
Re-topcoating with Aniline Topcoat-79Gloss.

Step 8:
Enhance the leather with a non-stick surface with a classic leather scent with Leather Scent-B.

We shall go into more details when you are ready to take up this challenge.

What do you think?

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

prodco101
04-21-2010, 05:24 AM
Hi Roger,
Thanks for this.
I am ready to proceed, but would like to understand more about the cost and timing. How long will this take? Can it be done in my living room? Do you supply "idiot proof" directions? And, how much will it cost?

alex

Roger Koh
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
The relevant products price list is send by email to you.

How long will you take will depends on the size and condition of the leather.

Need more pictures to show the overall view and perhaps every back and seat cushion including the surface contact areas.

Unknown Spots and Stains removal may be frustrating and time is unpredictable.

Usually the worst stains is tackle first to determine the overall appearance and the direction we need to go – (can we maintain the transparent finishing or have to compromise with translucent finish, an opaque finish will cheapen the value of your leather).

It can be done in your living room.

I would like to think that “Idiot Proof” instruction hopefully is not meant for idiots!

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor