PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Chanel lambskin restoration

Sunberry
04-01-2024, 01:44 PM
Hello,
I need help restoring my vintage Chanel lambskin to its original beige color, if possible. I sent it to Leather Surgeon before and they painted my bag, which I hated. So I removed all the paint off and cleaned the bag.

The front flap has darkened areas from maybe conditioner and hand oil. It’s also dull and dry. The leather is smooth and no longer puffy. How do I fix these issues?

The back side has some darkened and lightened areas and is also dull. Could I bring back the orginal beige brown color?

The sides have a nice patina that I like. This is the color I want.

Overall, could it’s original color be restored, if so how? If not, do I have to redye or repaint the bag to get a uniform color? Thank you. -Jenn

Roger Koh
04-02-2024, 09:09 PM
>>> I need help restoring my vintage Chanel lambskin to its original beige color, if possible.

Yes, all the soiling contamination needs to be removed, and its original color within the leather structure reactivated to resurface to freshen up to a degree, and the fat liquored replenished will intensify the color further, and then a gloss topcoat will magnify the color to the next level, if the original is not restored to satisfaction, the final process is then resorted to redyeing by coating over the topcoat and re-topcoat again.

Here we are not using opaque paint, but transparent dyestuff same as the original.

Why redyeing is not the first consideration, because redying the original tan color will either be done with very light and even sprayed with Paasche Airbrushing at 80 to 100psi with Antique-Brown, or Antique-Brown color intensity has to be adjusted with about 3 parts of clear and then applied with fine brushes to get the desired color.

>>> I sent it to Leather Surgeon before and they painted my bag, which I hated.

What was the reason you sent the bag out? Did you request a color refinishing?

>>> So I removed all the paint off and cleaned the bag.

What are the products and tools you used to remove all the paint?

>>> The front flap has darkened areas from maybe conditioner and hand oil.

Were these darkened areas already there before you sent the bag out?

>>> It’s also dull and dry.

The dullness is due to the gloss topcoat being worn off and can be restored to the original gloss with a topcoat refinishing.

>>> The leather is smooth and no longer puffy.

Smooth as being flat? and no longer puffy, is the result of shrinkage. When leather loses its original fatliquor (fat and oil) through aging or cleaning with alkaline or solvent-content cleaners it will cause a shrinkage and no longer puffy.

>>> How do I fix these issues?

These flattened and no longer puffy issue is fixed by hydrating the leather soft enough to stretch back to its original dimension with a combination of hydrating and fatliquoring systems.

>>> The back side has some darkened and lightened areas and is also dull. Could I bring back the original beige-brown color?

The darkening areas are mostly caused by body oil and grease and will need a degreasing and pH-balancing rinse and a deep colloidal water movement with hydrating, a three-in-one process to resurface the soiling contamination.

The lightening areas are most likely caused by alkaline cleaners that cause the dyestuff to move.

To even out the blotchy appearance will also need hydrating and pH balancing to activate the dormant dyestuff and redistribute the dyestuff to resurface.

>>> The sides have a nice patina that I like. This is the color I want.

The side panel looks good because the gloss topcoat is still there, you may have to remove it by stripping it off so that the entire bag looks a bit dull without any topcoat to have an overall appearance before rebuilding a new topcoat again.

>>> Overall, could its original color be restored, if so how?

The original color could be restored if all the darkening soiling is removed with a good possibility if they are mainly body oil and grease.

The color loss could be caused by the aging body sweat, and alkaline cleaners.

This color loss is revived by pH balancing, hydrating to activate the dormant dyestuff to resurface, depending on its saturation (just like activating tea leaves with hot water, fresh tea leaves versus a second time reactivating brings different results).

Replenishing the original ionic negative (-ve) charged fat and oil will intensify the color further and the final gloss topcoat magnifies it further, that is how aniline leather color is built up from within the leather structure.

>>> If not, do I have to redye or repaint the bag to get a uniform color?

Using transparent dye brings back the original color, but redyeing is the last resort, if the top coating does not bring out the color intensity to satisfaction.

A very light coating with 80 to 100 psi airbrushing will certainly achieve the desired color shading.

Painting with opaque leather paint is no longer original and not recommended.

I am the preferred service provider for Chanel Boutique here in Vancouver, Canada, and Leather Doctor system produces redying work back to the showroom's original appearance.

This link to the Aniline Leather Redyeing Kit A7.cl is for your further reading.

https://leatherdoctor.com/aniline-leather-redyeing-kit-a7-cl/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected],
email: [email protected]
phone: 604 773 1878

Sunberry
04-03-2024, 12:08 AM
Thank you so much for providing all the information on how to restore my bag.

>>> I need help restoring my vintage Chanel lambskin to its original beige color, if possible.

Yes, all the soiling contamination needs to be removed, and its original color within the leather structure reactivated to resurface to freshen up to a degree, and the fat liquored replenished will intensify the color further, and then a gloss topcoat will magnify the color to the next level, if the original is not restored to satisfaction, the final process is then resorted to redyeing by coating over the topcoat and re-topcoat again.

Here we are not using opaque paint, but transparent dyestuff same as the original.

Why redyeing is not the first consideration, because redying the original tan color will either be done with very light and even sprayed with Paasche Airbrushing at 80 to 100psi with Antique-Brown, or Antique-Brown color intensity has to be adjusted with about 3 parts of clear and then applied with fine brushes to get the desired color.

This is good info!

>>> I sent it to Leather Surgeon before and they painted my bag, which I hated.

What was the reason you sent the bag out? Did you request a color refinishing?

I wanted them to clean and restore the color. They asked if I wanted the original color and I said yes. They never told me they were going to paint it. After receiving I noticed the paint which they call pigment. It was thick and cracked. I wiped the bag with baby wipes and the paint/pigment came off. I was disappointed and sent to them again to fix. It was pretty much the same.

>>> So I removed all the paint off and cleaned the bag.

What are the products and tools you used to remove all the paint?

I used Angelus deglazer to remove the paint off. Then Cadillac lotion to condition the bag. I used very little lotion. I applied to a towel first and wipe down.

>>> The front flap has darkened areas from maybe conditioner and hand oil.

Were these darkened areas already there before you sent the bag out?

Yes, they were already there. I bought the bag preowned and it was already darkened.

>>> It’s also dull and dry.

The dullness is due to the gloss topcoat being worn off and can be restored to the original gloss with a topcoat refinishing.

>>> The leather is smooth and no longer puffy.

Smooth as being flat? and no longer puffy, is the result of shrinkage. When leather loses its original fatliquor (fat and oil) through aging or cleaning with alkaline or solvent-content cleaners it will cause a shrinkage and no longer puffy.

>>> How do I fix these issues?

These flattened and no longer puffy issue is fixed by hydrating the leather soft enough to stretch back to its original dimension with a combination of hydrating and fatliquoring systems.

Glad to know it can be fixed.

>>> The back side has some darkened and lightened areas and is also dull. Could I bring back the original beige-brown color?

The darkening areas are mostly caused by body oil and grease and will need a degreasing and pH-balancing rinse and a deep colloidal water movement with hydrating, a three-in-one process to resurface the soiling contamination.

The lightening areas are most likely caused by alkaline cleaners that cause the dyestuff to move.

To even out the blotchy appearance will also need hydrating and pH balancing to activate the dormant dyestuff and redistribute the dyestuff to resurface.

Great info!

>>> The sides have a nice patina that I like. This is the color I want.

The side panel looks good because the gloss topcoat is still there, you may have to remove it by stripping it off so that the entire bag looks a bit dull without any topcoat to have an overall appearance before rebuilding a new topcoat again.

I’m nervous about ruining the side but I want a uniform look.

>>> Overall, could its original color be restored, if so how?

The original color could be restored if all the darkening soiling is removed with a good possibility if they are mainly body oil and grease.

The color loss could be caused by the aging body sweat, and alkaline cleaners.

This color loss is revived by pH balancing, hydrating to activate the dormant dyestuff to resurface, depending on its saturation (just like activating tea leaves with hot water, fresh tea leaves versus a second time reactivating brings different results).

Replenishing the original ionic negative (-ve) charged fat and oil will intensify the color further and the final gloss topcoat magnifies it further, that is how aniline leather color is built up from within the leather structure.

I hope the original color can be restored.

>>> If not, do I have to redye or repaint the bag to get a uniform color?

Using transparent dye brings back the original color, but redyeing is the last resort, if the top coating does not bring out the color intensity to satisfaction.

A very light coating with 80 to 100 psi airbrushing will certainly achieve the desired color shading.

Do you have an airbrush recommendation?

Painting with opaque leather paint is no longer original and not recommended.

I wouldnt want to paint.

I am the preferred service provider for Chanel Boutique here in Vancouver, Canada, and Leather Doctor system produces redying work back to the showroom's original appearance.

Wow, do you service bags? I would love to send mine to you to restore. This is such a rare camera bag that i’m afraid to do more damage than I may already have.

I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your expert advice. Thank you so much!

This link to the Aniline Leather Redyeing Kit A7.cl is for your further reading.

I will read more. Thank you!

https://leatherdoctor.com/aniline-leather-redyeing-kit-a7-cl/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected],
email: [email protected]
phone: 604 773 1878