PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Chanel after 30 years is Dry and Dull!

Question
12-31-2023, 05:28 PM
Hi Roger.

I would love to know what products you think I should use to bring some life back to my vintage Chanel that is in excellent condition.

But just very dry from sitting almost 30 years.

I never use it!

Can it be fixed?

The sides and bottom aren’t as dry.

The rest is almost matte at this point it’s so dry!

#1 Chanel Bag after 30 years!

#2 Chanel Bag with Chain.

#3 Chanel Bag Very Dry.

#4 Chanel Bag Right Side.

#5 Chanel Bag Left Side.

Roger Koh
01-02-2024, 10:57 PM
Restoring the dryness is not a big concern.

Restoring the shrunk diamond quilting will be a big challenge since we are not able to work from the reverse suede side.

Restoring the gloss finish is easily done with a new top coat.

For a holistic restoration, the recommended sequence of steps is as follows:

1* Degreasing

2* Stain Dyeing

3* Hydrating

4* Fatliquoring

5* Coat Dyeing

6* Gloss Top Coating

7* Protection

1* Since a topcoat is necessary to restore the original gloss finish, the leather has to be degreased and checked for surface tension so that new coats would not turn out with blotchiness from uneven absorption from the leather.

2* It is also highly recommended that a fresh dye is applied both by staining and by coating to restore some color lost through the years.
Redying with Staining dyestuff is done before hydrating and coating dyestuff after fatliquoring in this double redying system, one goes deep into the leather and one covers the surface with fresh dyes.

3* The hydrating objective is to relax the shrunk leather, stretching and manipulating it back to the original surface dimension, only limited working from the front, without any access from the reverse suede side.

4* The softness of the leather is restored by fatliquoring, where fat and oil are introduced back to the leather as originally processed from the modern tannery.

5* Coat dyeing ensures good surface dye coverage for a high intensity of color.

6* The gloss top coating brings back the original showroom gloss that seals the dyestuff from bleeding or crocking.

7* A non-stick rub-resistant protection with a classic leather scent imparts a buttery feel against sticky soiling and abrasion wear.

The system products mentioned are found in this Aniline Leather Redyeing Kit A7.cl either you do it yourself or you prefer I do it for you.

https://leatherdoctor.com/aniline-leather-redyeing-kit-a7-cl/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected],
email: [email protected]
phone: 604 773 1878