PDA

View Full Version : Peeling aniline topcoat

baglover
06-03-2021, 09:50 PM
Hi Roger,

I noticed that the topcoat comes off quite easily for a vintage bag. I had applied about 5 layers of topcoat, drying after each layer. Now I can rub the topcoat with my fingers and it comes off.

How do I make the topcoat stay? Is the bag too dry?

Roger Koh
06-04-2021, 07:28 PM
Please share your procedure prior to top coating.

baglover
06-04-2021, 10:28 PM

I used the usual hydrator-fatliquor-hydrator cycles several times (can't remember the number). Last step before topcoat is hydrator to clean the surface, and left to dry completely.

baglover
06-04-2021, 10:55 PM

Also, subsequent application of topcoat may form droplets on the surface, instead of a smooth surface. Should I apply surfactant 3.6 in between topcoats?

Roger Koh
06-05-2021, 07:18 PM
>>> I used the usual hydrator-fatliquor-hydrator cycles several times (can't remember the number). Last step before topcoat is hydrator to clean the surface, and left to dry completely.

Option-1 (Test it out on a hidden area or bottom of the bag.)
1- Use LeatherEraser-4 or equivalent to erasing surface residue as dry-preparation.
2- Apply the top coat, blow-dry, and repeat until satisfied.

Option-2 (Test it out on a hidden area or bottom of the bag.)
1- Use LeatherEraser-4 or equivalent to erasing surface residue as dry-preparation.
2- Rub on Adhesor-73 to promote adhesion and let it dry.
3- Aniline-76
4- AnilineTop-76G
5- Leather Protector-B/B+

>>> Also, subsequent application of topcoat may form droplets on the surface, instead of a smooth surface.

Wash off the brush with warm water and use it again or use a new brush.

>>> Should I apply surfactant 3.6 in between topcoats?

No!

baglover
06-14-2021, 12:34 AM
Hi Roger,
if the surface of a bag appears "suede" from wearing, what are the steps to restore it?
are the steps:
degreaser --> rinse --> hydrator -> fatliquor --> hydrator --> aniline topcoat?

Roger Koh
06-14-2021, 02:47 PM
>>> if the surface of a bag appears "suede" from wearing, what are the steps to restore it?

“Suede” or worn grain surface is smooth with ‘Adhesor-73’ after dry preparation with ‘LeatherEraser-4’.

Tips:
Brushing action in a circular motion is recommended for suede or worn surfaces to create smooth skin when dry with Adhesor-73.