PDA

View Full Version : Repairable?

mschoonmaker
05-02-2021, 06:59 AM
I have an American Leather recliner that works very well, but ONE ARM is experiencing some wear. I'd like to try to fix this before it gets too bad, but maybe I'm past that. Nowhere does the wear go completely through, so that gives me some hope. It almost seems like a "peeling" is occurring. There's also some veining/cracking beginning to come through.

While I'm an experienced craftsman (woodworking) I currently have ZERO skills or experience with leather.

Any direction would be most helpful and appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read and suggest.

Roger Koh
05-05-2021, 09:19 AM
>>> Any direction would be most helpful and appreciated.

It looks like these peeling layers were add-on (perhaps for color matching).

Yes, it is repairable with a new matching color coating system.

A more durable coating system would also include a "primer" for better anchorage or bonding and a rub resistance protector to give the surface a buttery-soft-smooth protection against friction rubs.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin, Hair, Eye & Acne Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

mschoonmaker
06-17-2021, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for such a late response, I must not have had "notifications" turned on.

Can you suggest/point me in a direction (website, youtube, etc) that might describe what products I'd need to do this?

Thank you once again.

Roger Koh
06-19-2021, 12:32 PM
Before any repairs, color matching comes first, and you can see an example of color matching from this chart.

mschoonmaker
06-19-2021, 02:33 PM
Thank you. Can you suggest a good source (and/or product) of a quality color matching kit?

Roger Koh
06-22-2021, 12:17 PM
Here is the link to the color refinishing system, let me know if you need two other colors.

https://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather-perforated-auto-seat-color-refinishing-kit-ap7-cl/

mschoonmaker
06-22-2021, 12:25 PM
thank you!

lisanclark
02-09-2023, 09:45 PM
I recommend using a leather cleaner and conditioner to help prevent further damage. Additionally, I suggest using an upholstery protector to shield the leather from dirt, oils, and other substances that might cause damage over time.