PDA

View Full Version : Removing Blue Jean Dye from Auto Leather

buda
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
A HUGE problem for auto detailers is being able to remove blue jean dye from leather seats that are protected leather without removing the dye on the analine leather.

What chemicals can safely be used and would you use a towel, scrub pad or what to work chemical into the leather?

Regards
Bud Abraham
DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Roger Koh
07-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Dear Bud and Viewers,

Re: How to remove blue jean dye stain from Auto Leathers

We have seen blue jean dye stain removal for both absorbent leather and suede on the other thread.

Removal of blue jean dye on protected leather would be easier compare to suede and absorbent leathers, since it has a very durable finish to it.

The colors used are usually high performance automotive leather pigment, much durable than home furnishing leather pigment.

They are design to withstand UV light compared to standard pigment for indoor used which is poorer to sun fades.

On top of that they are commonly sealed with heavy urethane top coat.

Cross linkers are usually added to the top coat to increase durability to dry and wet rubs.

For your interest by means of a glass electrode model HI-1414 and reading of both leather and vinyl from Mazda3 reveals a pH value of 4.1 for the leather seat and pH 5.0 for the door vinyl panel.

Blue jeans dyes are acidic too that’s why it migrate and transfer onto the leather acidic finishes easily.

The four fundamentals of soil suspension in leather cleaning include; Chemical Action, Time, Temperature and Agitation.

Removing blue dye stain rely much on the safe and effective chemical system used and dwell time.

Temperature is non existence except the hot leather seat during summer response to the chemical reaction better than during cold winter.

Agitation should only resort to soft leatherBrush1™ to enable to reach the bottom grooves of the leather grains.

Dwell time works by allowing the products to penetrate, lubricate and suspense the stains.

The recommended products and procedures system that works for me is as follows:

Step 1 Apply Prep-7.7 with leather Brush-1 on the stain area and feather out to the entire panel.

Step 2 Let it dwell for at least 2 hours for effective penetration, lubrication and suspension to take place; then extract with dry absorbent towel.

Step 3 Inspect for satisfaction, either repeat the above steps or proceed to remove the sticky residue.

Step 4 Spray Cleaner-3.8 over the entire panel, lightly agitates and extract with dry absorbent towel again.

Step 5 Spray Rinse-3.0 and extract for a squeaky residue free clean.

Step 7 Mist spray or foam brushes it with leatherScent’B™.

leather Scent-B is a sensuous conditioner that impart the unforgettable classic leather scent that enchant both sexes “more leathery than the leather itself”.

Yields a soft natural buttery feels to the leather.

Enhance a non stick surface essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling.

Increases resistance to wet and dry rubs.

Promote abrasion and scuff resistance.

Reduce squeak when leather seat rubs against leather garment during movement.

Pictures show dyestuff stains from a black leather car coat that looks more purplish than back.

I have explained to the car owner that it takes time for the products to work and therefore suggested that it is more convenient to do it themselves.

I have not heard form them since after I took these pictures.

I believe that it did work; otherwise they would have returned the products back to me by now.

Need to learn to appreciate leathers; they are not produce in factories like vinyl and plastic with a push of a button.

Auto leathers are mostly from steer, the young males takes 12 to 14 months to grow the hide until they reach an optimum size and weight for meat production.

Their hides are thereafter taken from the slaughter house and process in the tannery.

To turn the hide into leather takes a total of 19 operations both in the wet and dry operation.

Cool down, don’t rush; dwell time for products to work is an important factor for safe removal without resorting to instance physical harsh agitation that damages the finishes.

Roger Koh
IICRC#942 LCT MTC MSR
Leather DoctorŽ System
[email protected]