PDA

View Full Version : add sheen/lustre/shine to re-dyed upholstery

flatlander
12-22-2019, 04:51 PM
I am trying to match the existing finish on some dining chairs. I bought a Spinneybeck 3 oz full hide in a slightly lighter shade than my project and applied a couple coats of Angelus alcohol-based dye but the resulting finish has almost no sheen. The dye is the same brand and color that I had used on the existing chairs and the leathers had similar sheen before I applied the dye. I am looking for recommendations about what product(s) and technique(s) are best to add/restore that missing sheen.
Thanks in advance, all ideas are welcomed!

Roger Koh
12-23-2019, 08:03 AM
The most popular topcoat for dyed leather to produce a gloss luster is AnilineTop-76G
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-76g-heavy-duty-gloss/

Here is a cut and paste for your readings on topcoats from http://www.leatherdoctor.com/topcoat-2/
Most smooth leather will come to a stage that develops topcoat damages as being part of its useful life cycle. Topcoat damages may vary from leather types and it may manifest as stickiness, common to bicast leather from perspiration contamination; scaly flaking or mud cracking to aniline leathers through ageing and streaks from alkaline overexposure are a common occurrence to pigmented leathers. Accidental damages include usage or moving or pet scratches. The objective of the topcoat is to impart a film forming coating that provides abrasion and stain resistance to the colorcoat, besides intensifying the color intensity it also amplifies and magnifies the beauty of the aniline leather crust. Some topcoat forms discontinuous film especially from nitrocellulose that allows greater transpiration to take place. Others will sooner develop micro crazing especially the finer aniline topcoat, while the micro-pigmented leather may take a longer time. When topcoat is cross-linked, its performances increase from stickiness for the common bicast leather sticky problem. A wide variety of topcoats is available, with both ingredient and formulation varied to suite the requirement of the leather usage; not only in terms of luster level like gloss, satin or matte; but also in terms of flexibility and breathability, etc. Ingredient used includes elastomeric, acrylic, nitrocellulose, urethane, etc. Without this topcoat, the color basecoat would be: a) poor in aesthetics such as appearance and feel; b) susceptible to sticking together or attracting loose dust and dye especially in hot humid condition; c) poor physical properties such as wet rub, sweat resistant and scuff resistant; d) poor in ageing properties such as soil resistant and wet cleaning resistant.

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

flatlander
12-23-2019, 10:51 AM
thanks, Roger