PDA

View Full Version : Chanel Reissue 227 bag - restore [if possible] or dye?

MFAz212
05-18-2019, 02:39 PM
Hi - I have been considering doing something to reinvigorate this bag, and every time I do a search on restoring Chanel bags, I end up here. It is obvious you have helped so many, thank you!

So, before I take the plunge, and in light of your helpfulness, I thought I should reach out! I have a reissue bag that is in need of a lot of TLC. It has abrasions on the corners and throughout, ink underneath the flap, poor structure to the bottom and discoloration throughout.

As an ombre bag in cream / pink, I imagine a general "restore" may not work. One of my thoughts was to dye the bag black, with a metallic strip as is done in the photo I am attaching. Or, I would love to do a maroon metallic also as in the photo below. I am somewhat of an artist, so I have even considered trying to recreate an ombre but with darker colors to cover the rubbed parts, but I fear I would end up dying the bag one color anyways. Thoughts? Thank you!!

What I would like it to look like:

Roger Koh
05-20-2019, 12:21 PM
>>> It has abrasions on the corners and throughout, ink underneath the flap, poor structure to the bottom and discoloration throughout.

Preparation cleaning is performed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
Ink is removed with CleanDye-7.9 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
Poor structure to the bottom need a leather rejuvenation with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
Discoloration throughout is refreshed by reactivating the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure and redistribute to the surface with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
Abrasion is smooth with Adhesor-73 or repair with Bond-3D > Bond-7A system.

>>> As an ombre bag in cream / pink, I imagine a general "restore" may not work.

Final refinishing decision may be made after restorative cleaning, stain removal, activating dormant dyestuff, leather structure rejuvenation and abrasion repairs.

A choice of transparent, translucent and opaque coloring will best accomplish the desired result.

>>> One of my thoughts was to dye the bag black, with a metallic strip as is done in the photo I am attaching.

You may have 3 version of blacks to choose from (Aniline-76 (transparent), Micro-54 (opaque) and Antique-27 (translucent). Metallic-98 is available as - Gold, Silver, Copper and Bronze

>>> Or, I would love to do a maroon metallic also as in the photo below.

Marroon is available as 2Tone-37 (translucent)
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/2tone-37/
or Burgundy as Antique-27 (translucent)
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/antique-27/
Metallic coats over the primary color result in metallic effect.
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/metallic-98/

>>> I am somewhat of an artist, so I have even considered trying to recreate an ombre but with darker colors to cover the rubbed parts, but I fear I would end up dying the bag one color anyways. Thoughts?

Feathering out would be easier than to create a straight line and airbrushing with stencil will also help. Any dissatisfaction is remove with Stripper-2.3 and start all over again to perfection.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]