PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Prescription for Toiletry Bag

cathytexas
04-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Hi Roger! Before I begin here I wanted your opinion on starting point. Should I do degreaser first or Hydrate, Fatliquor, Hydrate? Most of the vachetta (besides the sides) looks good and shiny. My concern is cracks on both sides.

PS. I may end up painting the vachetta so I could probably use advice on bonding for cracks before painting. Thanks!

Roger Koh
04-08-2019, 02:40 PM
>>> Hi Roger! Before I begin here I wanted your opinion on starting point.

Starting point is Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Protector-B+ to the simulated leather first to satisfaction prior to resolve the Vachetta leather.

>>> Should I do degreaser first or Hydrate, Fatliquor, Hydrate?

Combine degreasing and rejuvenating in this sequence: Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 >>> Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.

>>> Most of the vachetta (besides the sides) looks good and shiny.

“Shiny” is removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system

>>> My concern is cracks on both sides.

While still damp continue with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 to control cracking when dry. When moisture (fat and oil) content reaches 14% when dry, the leather will not crack. Slow drying and a little massaging from almost dry to dry also reduces any chances of cracking.

When dry and free of surface residue from leatherEraser-4 treat with Vachetta-2.8 to rejuvenate appearances.

To ensure sufficient fat and oil continue with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

When both appearance and suppleness is satisfied, finished with Protector-D.

>>> PS. I may end up painting the vachetta so I could probably use advice on bonding for cracks before painting.

I would not recommend “restoration” to change sometimes “conservation” to preserve is a better route to keep its character and originality.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

cathytexas
04-08-2019, 05:21 PM
Perfect!! Thanks for your detailed answers!!