PDA

View Full Version : Dior white lambskin

jas
02-28-2019, 10:57 PM
moving from http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?16110-Coach-65th-Anniversary-Ali-Bag-hard-and-tough-verdigris-metal-stain

Just to refresh your memory -> keep my bags really dry because of mold problem.

This is the bag that was repaired by the boutique but it came back stiff after the recoloring - if I can regain the softness of the original lambskin, what do I need to strip and redo the finish aside from the white pigment? There is also a crack on the handle, which for which you recommended Impregnator-26 >Adhesor-73 earlier.

4-...color refinishing does not affect the softness or suppleness of the bag... 2 pigment white system to choose from... Micro-54 does not breath only until micro crazing appears, while Napa-84 breaths as it form a “discontinuous” film. Does this mean that Napa 84 will feel softer in texture?

Roger Koh
03-01-2019, 11:05 AM
>>> what do I need to strip

Use Stripper-2.3 with a StrippingBrush-9 and LeatherEraser-4.

>>> if I can regain the softness of the original lambskin,

Rejuvenate with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system to regain leather softness.

>>> and redo the finish aside from the white pigment? Does this mean that Napa 84 will feel softer in texture?

Napa-84 system with matching topcoat NapaTop-84S/G is a higher quality pigment, that allows the leather to breathe, feels finer, easier to coats or apply as well, then Micro-54 system.

>>> There is also a crack on the handle, which for which you recommended Impregnator-26 >Adhesor-73 earlier.

Impregnator-26 is to strengthen structural weakness and Adhesor-73 smooth out surface damages prior to color refinishing.

jas
06-12-2019, 09:18 PM
Hi Roger,

I've just finished with refinishing the bag. While the main body of the bag does feel a little softer than the previous finishing, I've issues with the handles. I've done the Impregnator-26 >Adhesor-73 then follow up with the Napa-84 system and matching topcoat NapaTop-84S. It looks great until I carry the bag, i.e. stretch the handles, the cracks reappear and a lot more than before. I tried spray painting while stretching the handles to minimize the look of the cracks but they are still there. Is this an issue with the pigment because it is a “discontinuous” film?

Roger Koh
06-18-2019, 09:13 AM
>>> Is this an issue with the pigment because it is a “discontinuous” film?

The issue is the leather structure and nothing to do with any finishing coatings.

Most likely it was not rejuvenated above the strength threshold.

Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system restore the strength of the leather, when above 2000psi will eliminate any weakness.

When leather already has existing cracks it will need to be repaired thereafter with:

Impregnator-26 > Bond-3D > Patch-4S > Bond-7A accordingly.

Let me know if you are interested to go that route to redo your repairs.

jas
06-20-2019, 10:06 PM
>>>Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system restore the strength of the leather, when above 2000psi will eliminate any weakness.

How do I tell when the leather is above 2000psi?

>>>Impregnator-26 > Bond-3D > Patch-4S > Bond-7A accordingly.

Isn't a patch repair a little extreme for a crack? I could see how it'll be useful for a tear or rip but won't the patch be really obvious for a crack? Can you advise in greater detail?

Hope you can get back to me soon, I've got stuff from your store pending in the cart and I really do need to fix the Chanel which has been left hanging...

Roger Koh
06-21-2019, 01:02 PM
>>> How do I tell when the leather is above 2000psi?

The tensile-strength is realized only when put through a test in a leather chemist laboratory.
The strength of the leather is originally controlled by the fatliquoring process.
Thus, an industrial leather belt would need to have a higher value of strength then for bag manufacturing.

>>> Isn't a patch repair a little extreme for a crack? I could see how it'll be useful for a tear or rip but won't the patch be really obvious for a crack? Can you advise in greater detail?

Option-1 is to remove the finishing and return back to the leather rejuvenating process. And ensure that the leather strap is fully saturated with fatliquor (fat and oil) content over 15% measure with a leather moisture meter. Cracks is broken fibers and repairs by Impregnator-26 > Bond-3D > Bond-7A with donor fiber to fill up the cracks. (May give way to further cracks if the tensile-strength have not reach over specified original strength. As fat and oil evaporates leather weakens).

Option-2 is to patch through half inch on both sides of the cracks. Skived one inch down with a Dremel tool to about 0.4mm to accommodate both Bond-3D and the patch to level. The edge is then sealed wil Bond-3D and smooth with Bond-7A. This method will ensure that the strength is restored. (To add strength to this one inch joint, Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 applies).

>>> won't the patch be really obvious for a crack?

A patch is too obvious and not recommended for non load bearing parts of the bag.
Filling it up with Stucco-90 is the weakest among repair options only for aesthetic.

>>> a “discontinuous” film?

The leather breathes through these discontinuous film and add to the ease for periodic leather rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. The original strength of leathers is maintain by the fatliquor (fat and oil). Dry-rotting or lost of tensile strength or cracking or denaturing is directly related to the lost of fatliquor (fat and oil)

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

jas
06-22-2019, 12:28 AM
>>>Bond-7A with donor fiber to fill up the cracks

How do I go about obtaining the donor fiber that you mentioned? Does it come from scraping Patch-4S?

Roger Koh
06-24-2019, 03:37 PM
>>> How do I go about obtaining the donor fiber that you mentioned?

I have donate a piece enough for your repairs.

>>> Does it come from scraping Patch-4S?

No, What you need is a vegetable-tanned leather to match your original leather tanning type.
Patch-4S is chrome-tanned with different characteristic.

Leather Exotica
03-23-2023, 10:28 AM
Dior white lambskin looks so luxuious and also seems very delicate.