PDA

View Full Version : White haze/wax/distressing

Kurtis
11-06-2018, 07:04 PM
Hello,

I have two pairs of leather boots that I really love, when I first got them they came with a "Distressed finish" which was a white haze or wax of some kind. Of course after a while it started to fade and completely went away after cleaning/treating the boots. Does anyone have some ideas on how could recreate this type of finish? I'll attach picture of what they look like brand new.

These are Frye James Lace Up's
https://cdnd.lystit.com/1200/630/tr/photos/c158-2014/02/10/frye-black-james-lace-up-boot-product-1-2331884-2-413854206-normal.jpeg
http://www.cornishgame.co.uk/images/images/category_11/Mens-James-Lace-Up-Tan-Leather-Frye-Boots-9gLw5J.jpg

Roger Koh
11-10-2018, 02:07 PM
>>> when I first got them they came with a "Distressed finish"

As a waterproofing boots, the “distressed finished” is either Oil-Pull-up (EffectOil-2.8) or Wax-Pull-up (EffectWax-8.6).
Good to have pictures of the original appearance to determine either effect by oil or wax.

>>> which was a white haze or wax of some kind. Of course after a while it started to fade and completely went away after cleaning/treating the boots.

This white haze is most probably the “fatliquor” that spews to the surface, especially when these boots are kept in the cold.

>>> Does anyone have some ideas on how could recreate this type of finish?

The possibilities are by Fatliquor-5.0, that spew.

>>> I'll attach picture of what they look like brand new.

The 2 pictures are “brand new”, right?
What is the appearance now?

Interested in Online-Life-Coaching?

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Online-Life-Coaching
online store: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

Kurtis
11-17-2018, 12:13 PM
>>> when I first got them they came with a "Distressed finish"

As a waterproofing boots, the “distressed finished” is either Oil-Pull-up (EffectOil-2.8) or Wax-Pull-up (EffectWax-8.6).
Good to have pictures of the original appearance to determine either effect by oil or wax.

>>> which was a white haze or wax of some kind. Of course after a while it started to fade and completely went away after cleaning/treating the boots.

This white haze is most probably the “fatliquor” that spews to the surface, especially when these boots are kept in the cold.

>>> Does anyone have some ideas on how could recreate this type of finish?

The possibilities are by Fatliquor-5.0, that spew.

>>> I'll attach picture of what they look like brand new.

The 2 pictures are “brand new”, right?
What is the appearance now?

Interested in Online-Life-Coaching?

Roger Koh

Thanks for the reply! Yes the pictures are of the boot brand new, they are the pictures used on the websites store.

Here are the boots now
https://image.ibb.co/nnxxX0/IMG-5617.jpg
https://image.ibb.co/ks3RQL/IMG-5616.jpg

The website description might help, it seems it is a effect by wax

"The high and low tones inherent to pull up leather offer a fresh take, while our craftsman apply white wax to ensure your boot has that antiqued, well-worn look we know you love."

Thanks again, and any input is welcome!

Roger Koh
11-20-2018, 10:24 AM
>>> "The high and low tones inherent to pull up leather offer a fresh take, while our craftsman apply white wax to ensure your boot has that antiqued, well-worn look we know you love."

There is a mismatch to “apply white wax” on a “pull up leather”, “EffectWax-86 a pull-up wax should be used instead to bring back to the tannery originality.

There is two component of an EffectWax-86 for wax pull-up leather.
1- one goes into the leather structure to create the lively pull-up, that when stretch or pull lightens up.
2- The other is fine wax that crystalline on the leather surface with a cloudy effect and has to be activated to produced a natural waxy gloss.

A- So originally the brown pair of leather should look glossy of a wax pull-up leathers.
B- To apply “white wax” on black leather is technically not correct! But, if you like the appearance, simply apply EffectWax-8.6 and leave to dry to have quite a similar appearance. It should be a oil pull-up leather, also known as “crazy horse”. These are out doors leathers similar to most saddles and typically especially for a “black” color EffectOil-2.8, Look at the review from this link . . .
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/effectoil-2-8/

The creases and wrinkles also reveal the dryness of the leather and should be rejuvenated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system prior to the Effect secondary conditioner. The Fatliquor-5.0 is for replenishing the primary leather structure conditioner and the EffectWax-8.6 and EffectOil-2.8 is their corresponding secondary leather structure conditioner.

Detail holistic care system are found in this link:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw3-aniline-wax-pull-up-leather-care-kit/

Online-Life-Coaching is available now to do it right the first time, half an hour for US$99/-
Otherwise take your time and read through the kits instructions and also the individual products information.

You may direct or invite your store to this forum for further discussion that their decision to use "white wax" on both of these shoes is out of tannery specification, should be a pull-up wax (EffectWax-8.6) and pull-up oil (EffectOil-8.6) that takes care of both internal structure and surface appearance instead. However, in terms of only for after market fashion appearance, then, there is no right or wrong.

Roger Koh