PDA

View Full Version : 2005 F-350 King Ranch Leather Restoration-- Antifreeze stains, sweat stains, cracking & rips

Nate_casey
04-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Roger,

I am attaching some pictures below for a diagnosis, and reccomendation of products from your website. Both passenger and drive seat leather covers have rips. Passenger side is torn at seams, is this re-sew-able?
Drive side is ripped, left of seams. It seems to me, a new seat cover is required.

Back seat passenger bucket seat has antifreeze stains. All seats have wear, and need to be reconditioned. I am wanting to understand which kit is required for my issues. I'm thinking all seats have oil, sweat, water, fading etc. seats REALLY rough condition.

Did my best with pictures to show color differentiation.

Thanks, Nate

Roger Koh
04-17-2018, 10:28 AM
>>> Passenger side is torn at seams, is this re-sew-able?
Leather shrinkage is one issue that has cause the sewing thread to give way. It is re-sew-able, and is recommended after the leather is rejuvenated that has return to its pre-shrunk dimension with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system. Replenishing the leather structure up to 15% of fatliquor (ionic negative charged fat and oil) when dry will increase the leather tensile strength. With a 2000psi leather tensile strength the leather is strong against stitching tear. A strong leather would have a round needle holes and a weak leather shows needle holes as slanted or elongated with eventual split.

>>> Back seat passenger bucket seat has antifreeze stains.
Antifreeze pH value is on the alkaline side of the pH scale. Leather is acidic and has a pH value of 3 to 5. Thus the antifreeze denatures the leather by shifting the leather ionic negative, which repels or break the hydrogen between the ionic negatives constituents like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. A low pH system to neutralize helps restore or reverse the leather protein fiber ionic positive with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system (the suffix numbers denotes the products pH values).

>>> All seats have wear, and need to be reconditioned.
Fatliquor is an volatile organic compound (VOC) and will diminish through time, accelerated heating or leached (breaking of hydrogen bond) by alkaline solutions (in this case the antifreeze stains denatures the leather). One sign of leather denaturing is the tackiness when damp and stiffness when dry. pH conditioning sets the leather chemistry integrity and fatliquor replenishing or conditioning impart suppleness and strength to the leather. Wear is reduced when the leather rub strength increases with Fatliquor-5.0.

>>> I'm thinking all seats have oil, sweat, water, fading etc. seats REALLY rough condition.
Body oil, grease and sweat issue is rectified with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Vachetta-2.8 system.
Water Stain is rectified with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Vachetta-2.8 system.
Fading is rectified with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > AnilineTop-83G/AnilineTop-76G.
Color refinishing is an option with Micro-84 > Aniline-86 > AnilneTop-83G/AnilineTop-76G > Protector-B/B+
Surface roughness is rectified with Adhesor-73 prior to color refinishing.

>>> I am wanting to understand which kit is required for my issues
See this King Ranch Leather Repair & Refinishing Kit-K8.cl. Product mentioned are found as individual items and refills as individual items are also available accordingly.

Roger Koh
Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]

Nate_casey
04-18-2018, 04:21 PM
>>> Passenger side is torn at seams, is this re-sew-able?
Leather shrinkage is one issue that has cause the sewing thread to give way. It is re-sew-able, and is recommended after the leather is rejuvenated that has return to its pre-shrunk dimension with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 system. Replenishing the leather structure up to 15% of fatliquor (ionic negative charged fat and oil) when dry will increase the leather tensile strength. With a 2000psi leather tensile strength the leather is strong against stitching tear. A strong leather would have a round needle holes and a weak leather shows needle holes as slanted or elongated with eventual split.

>>> Back seat passenger bucket seat has antifreeze stains.
Antifreeze pH value is on the alkaline side of the pH scale. Leather is acidic and has a pH value of 3 to 5. Thus the antifreeze denatures the leather by shifting the leather ionic negative, which repels or break the hydrogen between the ionic negatives constituents like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. A low pH system to neutralize helps restore or reverse the leather protein fiber ionic positive with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system (the suffix numbers denotes the products pH values).

>>> All seats have wear, and need to be reconditioned.
Fatliquor is an volatile organic compound (VOC) and will diminish through time, accelerated heating or leached (breaking of hydrogen bond) by alkaline solutions (in this case the antifreeze stains denatures the leather). One sign of leather denaturing is the tackiness when damp and stiffness when dry. pH conditioning sets the leather chemistry integrity and fatliquor replenishing or conditioning impart suppleness and strength to the leather. Wear is reduced when the leather rub strength increases with Fatliquor-5.0.

>>> I'm thinking all seats have oil, sweat, water, fading etc. seats REALLY rough condition.
Body oil, grease and sweat issue is rectified with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Vachetta-2.8 system.
Water Stain is rectified with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Vachetta-2.8 system.
Fading is rectified with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > AnilineTop-83G/AnilineTop-76G.
Color refinishing is an option with Micro-84 > Aniline-86 > AnilneTop-83G/AnilineTop-76G > Protector-B/B+

>>> I am wanting to understand which kit is required for my issues
See this King Ranch Leather Repair & Refinishing Kit-K8.cl. Product mentioned are found as individual items and refills as individual items are also available accordingly.

Roger Koh

Thanks Roger, Do you know about how much $ i will need to invest. Im not sure that one kit will complete my front and back seats.

Thanks, Nathan

Nate_casey
04-18-2018, 06:34 PM
Roger,

Thanks for the message back. Do you know about how much $ will need to be invested to restore these seats?

Also, did the leather rip due to cushion deformation? OR due to leather strength loss?

Thanks, N

Roger Koh
04-19-2018, 09:29 AM
>>> Do you know about how much $ will need to be invested to restore these seats?

If you write down the scope of work you need done, will indicate you the refills you will need, that will add up to the amount you need to spend.

>>> Also, did the leather rip due to cushion deformation? OR due to leather strength loss?

Shrinkage of the leather, I do not see any rip to the leather stitching holes, I think stitching somehow fails (a stitch in time saves nine).

Roger Koh

Nate_casey
04-20-2018, 05:52 PM
Roger, thanks for reply.

what order am i supposed to start in? I am challenged by the rubric for cleaning steps.

Here is also a picture of my driver seat. Thanks, Nathan8405840618407

Roger Koh
04-21-2018, 08:40 AM

The above job scope may be rearranged in sequence as:

Step-1:
Degreaser-2.2 > CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 and while the leather is still wet continue with
Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 and leave to dry

Step-2:
Vachetta-2.8 is applied to reduce the darkening effect.

Step-3:
This is the “dry preparation” including using the Eraser-4 and Sand-2000.

Step-4:
Surface roughness is smooth with Adhesor-73

Step-5:
Color refinishing with Micro-84 > Aniline-86 > AnilneTop-83G/AnilineTop-76G > Protector-B/B+

Note:
You may find details instruction from each of the products from:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/degreaser-2-2/ as an example.

>>> Here is also a picture of my driver seat.

If there are no missing pieces, there is a high possibility to stretch back by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 Hydrator-3.3 process. Stretching it to the desired dimension and let it dry for retention and it is then bond with Bond-3D + Patch-4S.

See product instruction here:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/bond-3d/