PDA

View Full Version : Southern Motion Leather Sectional - color wearing off.

Questions!
12-14-2016, 11:08 AM
I have a fairly new couch but where my husband sits; the dye is starting to wear off; can you direct me on how to choose the correct dye? Would there be a tag under a seat stating type of leather it is?

Here are few pictures of the couch. Tonight when I was wiping it down some of the leather started coming off (that's the 2nd photo). :/

I'm pretty sure the brand is southern motion it's maybe 2 & half years old.
I wipe it down with Luke warm water, nothing else; if there is "dirt" stuck in the grain then I gently use a horsehair brush to loosen from the grain with water.

Roger Koh
12-17-2016, 12:09 PM
There are two possibilities to this color loss, the color system itself and/or the weakness of the leather:

When color is without an effective prime or adhesion coating to enhance adhesion promotion the color has poor bondage to the leather crust. And, if the color coating is not seal with a clear top coating it has poor cleanability or wearability. A complete system for the 3 step refinishing system is Adhesor-73 > Micro-54 > MicroTop-54.

Weakness of the leather is revealed as elongated or split stitching holes due to lost of the leather stitch tensile strength. Lost of tensile strength is directly related to diminishing fatliquor. A healthy leather averages 14% of fat and oil and should maintain a strength of 2000psi, Below 1800psi of tensile strength will show weakness of the leather and the stitching holes no more retains its roundness. Insufficient fatliquor will also cause exfoliating dryness to the leather crust. Rectifying the leather tensile-strength weakness is by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. Refinishing will require Adhesor-73 > Micro-54 > MicroTop-54S > Protector-B/B+.

A holistic color refinishing system is found in this Kit-Sa7.cl
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7-cl-semi-aniline-leather-color-refinishing-kit/

Color shading examples:

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]