PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Lexus IS, Honda S2000 & Mazda Miata interior leather care (cleaning, moisturizing and protecting)

Questions!
08-10-2016, 08:46 AM
Seeing your customer support on a number of forums led me to the Leather Doctor site, and hoping you could help me narrow down the multitude of product combos.

I have an '06 Lexus IS with beige/cashmere perforated leather seats, and while they have worn fairly well for their age, I think they are very dryed out, they show some dirtyness on the surface, and there is some mild cracking evident.

If my goals are to be able to thoroughly clean all the seating surfaces (perforated center sections and non-perforated side bolsters), moisturize the leather, and do anything possible to reduce the appearance of cracks, what would you recommend?

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-af3-auto-perforated-leather-care-kit/

Would that be most appropriate? Icing on the cake would be to address a few very small spots where the leather coloring has worn off the seat bolster.

As a second priority, I have a black Honda S2000 interior and a brown Mazda Miata interior that I would also like to clean, moisturize and protect.

Please see attached, with brown Miata, beige Lexus and black Honda shots.

Look forward to hearing what kind of improvements you may think possible.

Roger Koh
08-11-2016, 11:35 AM
>>> they have worn fairly well for their age,

Friction rubs from sliding in and out of the seat causes wear to the finishes and to reduce wear the surface is recommended to be protected on a periodic basis with Protector-B or the leather-scented B+ to impart a natural buttery-feel. This non-stick protection also reduces sticky soiling and makes maintenance cleaning easier.

>>> I think they are very dried out,

It is the fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil) moisture content within the leather structure that determines the level of dryness. Up to an average of 15% is normal standard from the tannery. As fatliquor is an volatile organic compound (VOC) it will tend to evaporate at a faster rate with heat, becomes stiff and when stress with flexing it cracks. The perforated and needle holes are the more vulnerable areas as the cross section of the leather structure has no extra coatings and dryness accelerate from there as seen as Picture #7. The Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system perform on a periodic basis will reduce leather structure dryness.

>>> they show some dirtiness on the surface,

Soiling accumulates on groves that give the appearance of cracking but disappear when removed with either Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 on non-perforated surface and Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 or Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Acidifier-2.0 on perforated surface in conjunction with a detailing horsehair Brush-1.

>>> and there is some mild cracking evident.

Cracks are repair with Stucco-90 + Bond-3D + Micro-54 system and you may see an example from this link:
http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?805-1989-Merkur-Scorpio-Leather-Seat-with-Cracks-and-Rip-How-to-Restore-!

>>> If my goals are to be able to thoroughly clean all the seating surfaces (perforated center sections and non-perforated side bolsters), moisturize the leather, and do anything possible to reduce the appearance of cracks, what would you recommend? http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-af3...ther-care-kit/ Would that be most appropriate?

Use this Pigmented (P.p) Perforated Leather Problem Solving Matrix for reference.

This Kit-Af3 combo consists of 3 systems:
System-1 – Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 + horsehair Brush-1 for “Restorative Cleaning”.
System-2 – Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 + Towel-5 & Brush-1 for “Leather Structure Rejuvenation”.
System-3 – Protector-B or B+ (leather scented) for leather interior and Protector-D for the steering wheel and the shift knob.

Add-on would be required for repairs to cracks with Stucco-90 + Bond-3D + Micro-54 system.

>>> Icing on the cake would be to address a few very small spots where the leather coloring has worn off the seat bolster.

Touch-up refinishing would require Adhesor-73 > Micro-54 > MicroTop-54 system.

>>> As a second priority, I have a black Honda S2000 interior and a brown Mazda Miata interior that I would also like to clean, moisturize and protect. Please see attached, with brown Miata, beige Lexus and black Honda shots. Look forward to hearing what kind of improvements you may think possible.

System are the same for all three leather interiors except for their Micro-54 pigment custom colors.

Refer to Picture #4
Whitish scuff marks are topcoat damages and is repair with MicroTop-54 with a choice of luster level.
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/microtop-54/

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]