PDA

View Full Version : Dekalb Aniline Waxy-Matte Leather Sofa – body oils, dull wears that need rejuvenating color and suppleness with a quality protection.

Questions!
07-13-2016, 12:35 PM
I have this aniline sofa

http://www.westelm.com/products/dekalb-leather-sofa-h271/

(Premium Aniline Leather, Molasses - Our highest quality leather, with a natural look and soft, waxy texture.
Top-grain Italian hide; full aniline dyed and hand finished.
Dark and handsome, with a soft side.
The complete package, the Dekalb Premium Leather Sofa is covered in our highest quality, top-grain aniline leather, which has been oil-rubbed by hand for a texture that only gets richer and more comfortable over time.
Covered in Italian top-grain, hand-finished aniline leather in Molasses.
Aniline leather has a natural look and soft, waxy finish that will scuff over time and develop a beautiful vintage patina with age and use.)

which is “full dyed aniline” with a matte “waxy finish”

I have used your products before, but do not know which to use on this sofa.
It is only 6 months old, and does not really need refinishing, just some light cleaning of body oils, and a quality protection layer.

Yes… I’d like to refurbish it a little..
The pictures look worse than it does in person, but yes… in the wear areas its starting to “dull” and not look nearly as rich as the other spots.

Let me know what you think i need to do.

As for cleaning, I would think we would be in the Light Cleaning / Routing Maintenance area…

We would definitely like to refresh the color and suppleness.

Can you layout a set of products that will do this and an application order?

Please let me know if you would, what I should use to keep this in great shape.

Roger Koh
07-13-2016, 01:21 PM
We shall use this Aniline (A.w) Waxy-Matte Leather Problem Solving Matrix as our guide to restore to “great shape”.

Phase-1 - Refinishing starts with removing of surface and penetrated body oil, grease and sweat.
Oil and grease will hamper or retard or resist any refinishing thus has to be removed.
Sweat has create more damages as it shift the amphoteric protein leather fibers ionic negative (-ve) which gradually denatures the leather as it repels the ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agents, dyestuff and fatliquor. Leather structure becomes tacky is a sign of leather denaturing a squeaky leather feel is a healthy leather and is pH balance in the degreasing process with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0. At pH value below its neutral pH value of 3 to 5 it charges the protein fibers ionic positive (+ve) to attracts all the other leather constituents – thus leather is create in this hydrogen-bonding process.

Phase-2 - Penetrated soiling that is suspended will need to be brought to the surface with the help of Hydrator-3.3 with the help of Eraser-4 to remove surface soiling during the wet process. Dwelling on the stain areas will help moves the soiling particulates to the surface.

Phase-3 - To have an even appearance, the existing topcoat is recommended to be “shaved” with Razor-60 during the hydrating process with the strength of the leather increases and the strength of the topcoat decreases – makes shaving an easier task with less surface grain damages. Need to be careful when removing the topcoat without causing abrasion that will turn the smooth skin into nubuck. However, worn areas may show signs of grain wear and deep damages may takes up an undesirable darkening effect when comes to repairs and refinishing. It may be difficult to match up without removing the existing finishes just like any other furnishing refinishing to start from an even appearance. As the finishing is clear the beauty and the blemishes will both show through as well.

Phase-4 - A “reverse-transfer” technique using Towel-5 helps to wick the soiling particulates through instead of still remaining on the leather porous surface. The stain towel is peel and any remaining residue on the leather surface is dry erased with Eraser-4

Phase-5 – Inspection to determine that stains if any are deal with according – see guide. Upon satisfaction the process is move on to rejuvenate its suppleness. Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system will both refresh the intensity of the color from within the leather structure redistributed to the surface and the leather gains its suppleness as the water contents evaporates. A 14% to 16% of ionic charged fat and oil remain in the leather structure returns the leather to its original cycle of useful life.

Phase-6 – Color would be refreshed with sufficient Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 treatment and it will be further intensify and magnify when AnilineTop-21W is applied to appearance satisfaction drying between coatings.

The above process is my recommendation that will returns the leather appearance back to “great shape”.

Let me know if you wish to follow the above route or you have doubts that need clarify before you proceed.

Products mentioned are available as individual items or you prefer to have them in a standard kits?

Roger Koh
Leather Care System Formulator
Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
web: www.leatherdoctor.com
forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
email: [email protected]