PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Unkown damage to set cushion (Ethan Allen) - for 'Samoray'

chet
09-14-2015, 08:29 AM
Unknown damage, I have this exact same leather sofa in my home. I do know that it is alcohol sensitive, Will wine and other alcoholic beverages cause color loss? I'm not sure what caused this, but the client says his wife drinks wine.
How should I proceed to clean and prep this cushion for repair? The client stated that there was a small spot and he rubbed it with a damp towel and now it is larger and the finish is peeling.

9-14A

Roger Koh
09-14-2015, 08:54 AM
This is a Two-Tone finishes.

The secondary "Translucent" (2Tone-37) color coat is typically darker than the primary "opaque" (Micro-54) color coat.

They are not as durable and are easily rub-off from wear.

Alcohol depending on percentage easily removes them.

>>> How should I proceed to clean and prep this cushion for repair?

Use Leather Doctor Stripper-2.3, may be further dilute with distilled water to just remove the secondary coating without damaging the primary coating.

The stain should be gone and you leave with a lighter appearance primary opaque color coating.

Two-Tone Refinishing System:

1 - Primer / Sealer / Adhesion Coating
Adhesor-73 is applied, etch with a 3M scouring gray pad or equivalent and surface excess is wipe off with a lint-free towel.

2 - Secondary Color 2Tone-37
Since this is a mono-tone look a fine air brushsing less feed and more air will blend the color in.

3 - Top-Coating
MicroTop-54 Satin to match (or adjust luster with gloss or matte).

4 - Protector-B/B+ Protection
This rub-resistant protection will reduce wear to the finishes

chet
09-14-2015, 09:22 AM
Is the 2-tone37 a standard color or does it have to be custom matched?

chet
09-14-2015, 09:40 AM
9-14C

This test swatch looks like the primary is lighter. I removed the secondary with stripper. So the original problem area must have something that stained it darker, should I just try stripper, or should I clean with something else?

Roger Koh
09-14-2015, 09:43 AM
>>> Is the 2Tone-37 a standard color or does it have to be custom matched?

There are 6 standard colors and they can be intermixed mixed to match or custom matched.
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/2tone-37/

Roger Koh
09-14-2015, 09:46 AM
>>> should I just try stripper, or should I clean with something else?

The darker secondary color is already damaged - Stripper-2.3 is just one step and immediately ready for the Adhesor-73 when dry.

Roger Koh
09-14-2015, 09:50 AM
>>> 9-14C

From picture the closest standard color is Ochre-Brown

chet
09-14-2015, 10:04 AM
Should I send in the swatch or should I order other colors so I can match it? I have the exact same sofa at home, so I don't care about having extra dye, I will need dye eventually.

Roger Koh
09-14-2015, 12:12 PM
As usual, wait for your sample.