PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Wax Pull-Up) - Restoration Hardware - Brompton Cocoa Leather Sofa Stain? - Is it a stain or removal of wax?

TheresaB
05-19-2015, 08:02 AM
Hello All,

I am new to this amazing site. I just bought a custom wax pull up analine sofa and notice this stain on it. The area has lost its shiny and appears grainy. My husband believes it is not a stain but rather the removal of the wax. We had a tech come out under the warrenty but he did not have to proper product to fix it (i.e. wax restorer) so he is coming back once he gets instructions from the manufacturer. He used a heat gun on it but I worry that he may have further depleted the oils from the hide. In the meantime, I am leaning towards DIY with Leather Doctor products and guidance. Please advise on what this "stain" appears to be and which kit should I purchase to resolve and work best for maintenance. We appreciate your input...Theresa & Ed5103

TheresaB
05-19-2015, 08:06 AM
Here is another photo of my mystery spot on the wax pull up analine sofa cushion.

Roger Koh
05-19-2015, 09:54 AM
>>> I just bought a custom Aniline Wax Pull-Up leather sofa . . .

Wax pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As this, effect wax behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some coagulates as fine crystal and remains on the surface. The dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated and when they melt, they coat the surface with a glossy sheen

>>> and notice this stain on it. The area has lost its shiny and appears grainy. My husband believes it is not a stain but rather the removal of the wax.

Looks like the scar mark is on the vertical backrest and any liquid stain that causes it would have drip marks flowing downwards by gravity. A sharper picture will help me help you better.

>>> We had a tech come out under the warranty but he did not have to proper product to fix it (i.e. wax restorer) so he is coming back once he gets instructions from the manufacturer. He used a heat gun on it but I worry that he may have further depleted the oils from the hide.

Using a heat gun will activate the wax pull-up but only recommended that it is first replenished other wise it depletes the structure not only the wax effect but also dries up the original fatliquor. The health of wax pull-up leathers depends on its fatliquor and wax effect and is measurable with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter. A healthy leather has an optimum up to 14% of fat and oil content from Fatliquor-5.0 and a wax pull up will need a few more percentage from WaxEffect-8.6 as the lifeblood otherwise the leather will be dead with neglect you see what Chet the professional leather service provider from Michigan, USA is trying to restore from this link: http://www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com/forum/showthread.php?12617-Aniline-%28Wax-Pull-Up%29-brown-leather-chair-with-light-oils-in-arms-and-back-Sun-fading-for-quot-Russell-quot
When wax pull-up leathers is no more supple and stretchy it is dead and keeping it perpetual alive is by periodic relaxing it with Hydrator-3.3, soften with Fatliquor-5.0 and keeping the effect alive with WaxEffect-8.6.

I appreciate you share this information with the ‘Warranty Technician’.

>>> In the meantime, I am leaning towards DIY with Leather Doctor products and guidance. Please advise on what this "stain" appears to be and which kit should I purchase to resolve and work best for maintenance.

1st – Have a visual inspection with a magnifying glass if this scar is inherent (leathers is not made but grows from the fields or feeding lot and in the animals life time, scars to their skin is part of their growing up or birth marks – a gift from nature and you decide to accept it or not – the imitation version from ‘Bicast’ cheaper many times - will not have such scar mark – too perfect and unreal).
2nd - Finger test if this spot is stiffer than surrounding area – if so you will need Hydrator-3.3 to relax it to open up the stick-together leather structure.
3rd – Thereafter before completely dry or up to 25% combine moisture level Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished sufficiently so that when it dries the moisture contents of the fat and oil reads up to 14% and staking, flexing or massaging it will return to its suppleness with softness and strength.
4th – WaxEffect-8.6 replenishing follows to saturate the leather structure that replenish the pull-up effect and wax crystalline will form on the surface approximately 4 – 8hrs to be activated with heat blower or hair dryer to transform them to a natural characteristic sheen.
5th – Skin imperfection may still not able to merge the gloss level with surrounding areas as original topcoat may be missing and need restored with AnilineTop-721G (or the heavy duty version of AnilineTop-76G) with a painting brush or a lint free towel that comes with the kit.
6th – Protection-D+ leather scented or scentless version ‘D’ helps to restore surface scuffing and protect the topcoat from friction wear.

Note:
When topcoat is intended to be used it is recommended that a restorative cleaning be done to remove any foreign contamination of greasy residue and an entire section is done to even out appearance.
Preparation Cleaning for Topcoat Refinishing:
Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0
This process should be slot into before 2nd above.

Use this Leather Problem Solving Guide for Aniline Wax Pull-up leathers:

Product recommendation from this link:
http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6-tc-aniline-wax-pull-up-leather-topcoat-refinishing-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit-Aw6.tc, aniline wax pull-up leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for after degreasing in a holistic approach. Most penetrated stains from the head and hands that show a darkening effect have its topcoat probably deteriorated by the oil, grease and sweat. Deteriorated topcoat removed during the degreasing process is refinished with AnilineTop-21G after wax effect rejuvenated. Removing penetrated soiling contamination starts with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies the greasy contamination, controls dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Wax Effect-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen. Protector-D+ enhances a non-stick draggy-feel to shield against sticky soiling, besides healing and concealing lightening scuff and abrasion marks. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline wax pull-up leathers topcoat refinishing system.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor

TheresaB
05-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Roger- both pictures are of the same spot, the first is a closeup and the 2nd was taken looking downward at the seat cushion where this mark is with a glimpse of my hardwood floor. Do you believe it is a natural scar rather than a Stain? As your remark says below:

"Looks like the scar mark is on the vertical backrest and any liquid stain that causes it would have drip marks flowing downwards by gravity."

I was wondering if it could be a scar or some type of hide imperfect/ birthmark?

Also, are you saying you recommend that I purchase kit Aw6.tc?

Thank you so much for your detailed response

Roger Koh
05-19-2015, 12:27 PM
>>> I was wondering if it could be a scar or some type of hide imperfect/ birthmark?

Close your eyes and run your fingertips across if you could feel it – it is inherent hide imperfection/birthmark.
Surface roughness cause uneven light reflection and refraction and you need the topcoat repairs with in between fine sanding to smooth out the surface so that the whole cushion have an even light reflection.

>>> Also, are you saying you recommend that I purchase kit Aw6.tc?

If you are following my prescription the products system are found in this Kit-Aw6.tc

Alternatively you may want to send this repair to me for US$350/- the entire cushion appearance will be even out!

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor