PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Full mono-tone) - Severe perspiration stain 4 months old for: "Ron"

chet
03-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Roger this aniline cushion is only 4 months old. The client sat down right after working out and stained the cushion with the perspiration form his head. I just applied
degrease 2.2 gently agitated with horse hair brush, extracted with towels, very little transfer. so I reapplied Degrease 2.2 and placed it in an airtight plastic bag. I can remove the leather (slightly difficult). The stain did not penetrate all the way through yet.

1 Before doing anything

2 Close up before

Roger Koh
03-05-2015, 01:22 PM
>>> The client sat down right after working out and stained the cushion with the perspiration form his head.

Perspiration or sweat with its uric acid or protein contents when ferments by the natural bacteria from the atmosphere will denature or revert the leather back to rawhide.

Any tackiness or sliminess is the sign of the tanning agent breaking bonds with the leather protein fibers and to rectify will need Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) to protonate or charge the protein fiber back to ionic positive (+ve). The evident or proof is when the leather feels squeaky thereafter as with the rest of the leather.

Dyestuff migrating with loss of color to this area needs further treatment with Hydrator-3.3 to bring back or redistribute from the non-stain areas.

Once the contaminated oil and grease is removed the leather will be stiff when dry and will be prone to cracking if not handled appropriately.

A holistic approach to prevent any integrity failure to the leather structure is to perform the above processes in continuous sequences without allowing the leather to become too dry or less than 25% combine moisture level.

The leather is only allow to dry up to 14% fatliquor moisture level at the end of this wet processes to maintain suppleness with softness and tensile strength.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

chet
03-10-2015, 05:03 AM
Stain appears to be looking much better. I can want to hydrate and fatliquor from behind and let extract with towels from the top grain side if you think it will help. I haven't let it fully dry yet.

Just opened plastic bag this morning.

chet
03-10-2015, 05:06 AM
I noticed that the grain is smooth in this area, I'm sure this didn't happen overnight. This chair must get used a lot.

After I get the stain out, the client was asking how we could protect it without changing the leather. I was thinking about using adhesor?

chet
03-10-2015, 05:47 AM
Hydrate and fatliquor from behind, I separated foam from leather with plastic barrier. It is difficult to dismantle but I can still work from backside.

It felt a little slimy from the suede side, so as I would massage with my finger tips and push moisture to top side I would gently extract with clean towels

I'm worried about developing a ring- I will keep an eye on it while it dries.

Part of the ring is dissipating

I would like to apply a poultice from the top, what do you think?

Roger Koh
03-10-2015, 02:14 PM
>>> Stain appears to be looking much better. I can want to hydrate and fatliquor from behind and let extract with towels from the top grain side if you think it will help. I haven't let it fully dry yet.

If possible always towel extract from the suede side (you can squeeze as much as you wish but also have a thick layer of white terry towel on the grain side.

>>> I noticed that the grain is smooth in this area, I'm sure this didn't happen overnight. This chair must get used a lot.

Pebble grains are work back for extra softness and texture exaggerated by a boarding process.
The grain side is face folded to face and rub from the suede side first in one direction and then crosswise it.

>>> After I get the stain out, the client was asking how we could protect it without changing the leather. I was thinking about using Adhesor-73?

Yes, Adhesor-73 will seal the leather making it less absorbent thus protect from future stains.
When used alone it has to be topcoated as well.

>>> It felt a little slimy from the suede side, so as I would massage with my fingertips and push moisture to topside I would gently extract with clean towels.

Correct and repeat until the slimy becomes squeaky.

>>> I'm worried about developing a ring- I will keep an eye on it while it dries.

Chances are it will, wiser to feather out the contrasting line with Hydrator-3.3 while it is still damp or about 25% moisture level.

>>> Part of the ring is dissipating.

Good if it does – you may lightly mist spray Hydrator-3.3 even at this stage if you wish.

>>> I would like to apply a poultice from the top, what do you think?

Poultice may leave a residue that need a cleanup, I would rather place a tight stretchable paper over it and let the wick up foreign contamination absorbed by the paper to peel off easier than still remaining on the surface.

chet
03-16-2015, 10:22 AM

this is how the dark perspiration spot looks now. I would like to improve it further but I'm afraid to do anything further, last time I tried to hydrate and fatliquor, it turned very dark. Your thoughts?

Roger Koh
03-16-2015, 12:11 PM
Pebble grains are work back for extra softness and texture exaggerated by a boarding process.
The grain side is face folded to face and rub from the suede side first in one direction and then crosswise it.

The working spots will blend with the surroundings in grain and texture.

chet
03-19-2015, 09:17 AM
Roger I have cleaned with degrease 2.2 and rinsed with acidifier at least 10 times. I have let degrease2.2 dwell overnight several times. this is as good as I've been able to get it. do you have any more suggestions?

19 A As good as it gets?

Roger Koh
03-19-2015, 12:55 PM
The darkening effect shows oil and grease soiling particulates.

It could be at the at the edge of the surface and need to be gently brushed off - use Nubuck Brush-2.

See how it appears.

Further improvement is allow further wicking with Hydrator-3.3 using "reverse transfer" technique with stretchable paper towel.

chet
04-02-2015, 08:55 AM
02-A Never could get rid of dark area

02-B so we used Adhesor, Mixed some micro54 a little lighter, then dyed with Aniline 76 to match the rest. Looks very good.

Roger Koh
04-02-2015, 10:18 AM
Thank you for the feedback!