PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Wax Pull-up) - sofa surface is crack and rough - what to do?

steve
01-26-2015, 07:13 PM
I have a Restoration Hardware analine wax pull up, Lancaster, sofa. One of the arms has a dark area with what appears to be cracking and the surface is not smooth but feels sort of sandy or rough. i have used regular over the counter cleaners and olive oil to try to get dog scuffs and scratches out. I have attached some pics. I am curious to how to clean, repair the area. Thanks

Steve

Roger Koh
01-26-2015, 09:52 PM
>>> One of the arms has a dark area

This dark area is typically from body oil, grease and sweat stains.
Oil and grease when penetrated resulted I dark marks.

>>> with what appears to be cracking and

Sweat when ferments by the natural bacteria from the atmosphere dries out the leather of its original fatliquor, stiffen the leather and stress cracks the leather.

>>> the surface is not smooth but feels sort of sandy or rough.

It is the sweat that causes these surface damages.
When wet test with tap water with our fingers, the surface may reveal a tacky or slimy feel is a sign of leather denaturing or reverting to rawhide.

>>> i have used regular over the counter cleaners

Aniline Wax Pull-up leathers are absorbent so any cleaners not leather-safe (pH 3 – 5) will denature the leather especially when compound with the fermented sweat. Any cleaners above the pH value of 7 should not be used for absorbent leathers.

>>> and olive oil to try to get dog scuffs and scratches out.

Olive oil only darkens the leather, and it is not comparable with the original finishes.

>>> I am curious to how to clean,

It is recommended that the existing remaining fatliquor and wax effect moisture content be read by a simple wood moisture meter (although a leather moisture meter is preferred). It should be up to 14% otherwise it should be replenished first with Fatliquor-5.0 to the desired moisture content and follows with WaxEffect-8.6.
Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Hydrator-3.3 for below surface cleaning and Acidifier-2.0 for above surface cleaning. Note the product suffix number denotes its pH value. Acidifier-2.0 is to pH balance the leather to return to a healthy squeaky feel.

>>> repair the area.
A 2000grit sanding is done to the surface during wet cleaning process to remove surface roughness.

The comprehensive sequence of process is as follows:

Restorative Cleaning:
1- Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2
2- Rinse and pH balance with Acidifier-2.0
3- Below surface colloidal movement is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3
4- Sandy or roughness repairs is done during the wet process with Eraser-4 and 2000grit sanding.

Leather Rejuvenating:
5 – Hydrator-3.3 to rectify unnatural creases and wrinkles and coarse breaks.
6 – Fatliquor-5.0 replenished the difference from original fatliquor moisture reading of 14%.

Wax Effect Fashion Rejuvenating:
7 – WaxEffect-8.6 replenishes the original pull up effect and impart a waxy natural shine to the leather.

Topcoat repairs:
8 – AnilineTop-21G repairs surface damage and pet scratches with in-between 2000grit dry sanding.

Finishes Protection:
9 – Protector-D+ or D finishes the leather and is used routinely to repairs minor scuffs and shield the finishes of sticky soiling.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

Recommended product

Leather DoctorŽ Kit-Aw6.tc, aniline wax pull-up leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for after degreasing in a holistic approach. Most penetrated stains from the head and hands that show a darkening effect have its topcoat probably deteriorated by the oil, grease and sweat. Deteriorated topcoat removed during the degreasing process is refinished with AnilineTop-21G after wax effect rejuvenated. Removing penetrated soiling contamination starts with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies the greasy contamination, controls dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Wax Effect-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen. Protector-D+ enhances a non-stick draggy-feel to shield against sticky soiling, besides healing and concealing lightening scuff and abrasion marks. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline wax pull-up leathers topcoat refinishing system.