PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-tone) - Ikea Karlstad - Leather Sofa – dye transfer stain from red blanket.

Questions!
12-31-2014, 10:59 AM
So to recap:
My daughter is staying in an apartment she is renting for a few months while she prepares to take the bar…. so the sofa does not belong to her.
She fell asleep on the sofa with the throw that has been on her bed for years and has been washed multiple times.
When she woke up she discovered the red stain beneath the throw.

The sofa is made by Ikea so she contacted them and was told they had a leather cleaner – Absorb.
This product did nothing.
I went to Los Angeles to help her out and tried the Absorb myself….still no results.
I went to Home Depot and purchased a leather cleaner call Zep and still there was no change.

Attached are several photos of the sofa, the throw and the throw label as you instructed.
I have the missing back pillow here (that’s the photo I sent you yesterday).

As you can see from the photos the damage is “wide spread”.
Let me know if you need additional information or if you have any other questions.
I need to know how to proceed and what products I am going to need.
Please help!

As you can see from the photos the damage is “wide spread”.

#1 Sofa Two

#2 Sofa One

#3 Sofa Right

#4 Sofa Left

#5 Red Stain

Questions!
12-31-2014, 11:07 AM
#6 Red Stain

#7 Red Stain

#8 Stained Cushion

#9 Offending Throw (Blanket)

#10 Throw Label

#11 Absorb and Zep Leather Cleaners with no Results and no Changes

Roger Koh
01-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Roger:

My kit finally arrived today (while I was at the post office).

I have only one of the cushions here – the left back cushion. The sofa is in Los Angeles (about 50 miles from here). I used both the Zep Leather cleaner and the Absorb Ikea cleaner on the entire cushion. The Absorb instructions are to use only the foam from the sponge that they supplied, but I found that the mixture made little suds and after the suds did nothing, I used it full-strength with no results.

Attached are two photos of the same cushion. I have numbered each of the sections. As you can see the worst of the of stain is on sections 2, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 9. The photos may not show this, but there is some pink on each section of the pillow especially on the pleat of the tufting (even between 14 and 15).

I will await your instructions.

Roger Koh
01-09-2015, 01:23 PM
It looks like section #6 is about the heaviest stained.

Simply place a thumb size paper cut from the kit below the sticker #6 and saturate it through with Prep-7.7.
Record the day and time onto the paper sticker #6.
Let it dwell up to 72hrs.
Watch at periodic 8 hours interval to see any color transfer to the paper towel.
Replace them when necessary.
No rubbing or agitation necessary to reduce finishes damages.
Remember we are not dealing with the original stains.
It has been compounded and may not response as well or finishes has deteriorated and becomes more vulnerable during the reverse transfer processes.

Please show pictures if you are doing accordingly.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

Product information:

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7-di-semi-aniline-leather-dye-ink-stain-remover-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit-Sa7.di, semi-aniline or micro-pigmented leather dye and ink stain removal kit is an innovative concept of removing blue jeans dye and ink stains featuring a “reverse transfer” technique utilizing a paper towel over the dwelling Prep-7.7 for micro-pigmented, antiquing and two-tone leathers that normally has a satin luster effect. The micro-pigmented and fashion effect varieties have a more delicate finish and is easily removed during stain removal and color refinishing is the norm on most wear areas. Prep-7.7 works by penetrating, lubricating and suspending the stains on dwell time and the paper towel reverse absorb the stain instantaneously from the leather. Prior failed attempt with set-in stains may require the help of Bleach-9.9 as booster to the Prep-7.7 to remove the residual stains. Remove sticky residue with Clean-3.8, rinsed with Rinse-3.0 and neutralized with Acidifier-2.0 when Bleach-9.9 is being used. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and eliminates surface tension prior to fatliquor replenishing. Fatliquor-5.0 rejuvenates the leather structure with softness and suppleness when dry. MicroTop-54S is an option for renewing the finish from friction wear. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe dye and ink stain removal system.

Questions!
01-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Roger:

Step one complete. See photo.

Renee

Correction!

Application not skin tight.

The whitest of the paper shows no surface contact - thus poor transfer in those areas.

Use the horsehairBrush-1 to compress tight to the leather giving a translucent surface is the proper application.

Roger

Roger:

It’s working!!!

Attached are the photos of after the first eight hours for Section 6. I’ve replaced the patch and will update you later today.

Renee4344

Good Evening Roger:

It has been 24 hours and the test patch is much improved. There is still some pink in the area and I am continuing the application of the Prep 7.7 as instructed. Stay tuned for more developments!

Renee

Questions!
01-12-2015, 01:27 PM
Good Morning Roger:

I’m starting to lose track of what I have sent you. Sorry.

Here is a photo of the test area at hour 24, a photo of the patches through Hour 56 and two current photos of the test area. I just checked the new patch that has been on the stain since 5 this morning and the lifted stain is barely visible, so I think the stain is almost gone.

Let me know if there is anything specific you would like me to send you. As always, thanks for your help!!!

Renee

Questions!
01-12-2015, 01:49 PM
Roger here is a photo I just took. As you can see the stain is nearly gone. Also brushing the patch definitely helped. You can see from the previous photo I sent you of all the patches, the lifted stain on hour 56 is much darker than the stain on hour 48.

Questions!
01-12-2015, 03:34 PM
This is a current photo. I believe all of the stain has been lifted. What is the next step in the process?

Roger Koh
01-12-2015, 03:50 PM
Once Stains is “reverse transfer to satisfaction.

The following steps are:
1st - Remove the remaining Prep-7.7 residue from the surface by blotting them off with paper towel.
2nd – Remaining sticky residue is removed with Clean-3.8, horsehair Brush-1 and towel extract.
3rd – Both Prep-7.7 and Clean-3.8 residue is to be removed by Rinse-3.0 with horsehair agitation and extraction.
4th – pH balancing with Acidifier-2.0 by saturating the similar paper towel and let dwell to natural dry.
5th – Acidifier-2.0 application may repeat until leather finishes achieve a healthy squeaky feel – thus the pH chemistry integrity of the leather is back to normal.

What are the total hours up this point?

What have you learn and what you think adjustment can be made from this testing?

Questions!
01-12-2015, 05:44 PM
It's been 66 hours from the start of the test patch for Section 6. I will follow the steps you have listed below to complete the test.

As for what I learned....

-Firstly, I learned that your product is sensational and that you are a detailed task master (which I truly appreciate). Thank you!!
-Next, I learned that I needed to apply a heavier layer of the Prep 7.7 than I was using originally to truly saturate the towel and use the brush to ensure snug and uniform contact. By adjusting the amount of product I use and using the brush I think the lifting time will be shortened.

I'm assuming that once I finish the steps listed below I should move on to the rest of the cushion.

Thanks again for your help.

Roger Koh
01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
>>> It's been 66 hours from the start of the test patch for Section 6. I will follow the steps you have listed below to complete the test.
Due to your willing to correct and improve the application technique the reward is a shorter time than expected, looking back what you did isn’t it simple?
The next move is to cut down your inspection interval time for the rest of the areas to 12hrs – 24hrs – 24hrs and so forth or unless the paper to overload with reverse dye transfer but the paper has to be kept saturated by replenishing them.
As you are confident what best technique to apply and knowing the outcome of desired result can be, you may want to start all at the same time. Record keeping and picture taking will be good for reference to fall back when certain section is not responding accordingly.

These are the most likely following sequence of the process
1 – Prep-4.4
2 – Clean-3.8
3 – Rinse-3.0
4 – Acidifier-2.0
5 – MicroTop-54S
6 – Protector-B+

You have understood Step-1: Prep-4.4.
Let me know if you need further understanding why the followings?