PDA

View Full Version : Bellino - Messenger bag dye coming off!

AFG
07-31-2014, 01:24 PM
Hi there, and thanks for reading.

I recently got a Bellino Messenger bag. It works great mechanically. Upon arrival I applied mink oil to give the leather a nicer feel and to preserve it (to the best of my knowledge). There were several types of leather use in the construction of the bag. The thicker, tougher leather used for gussets and reinforcements reacted well to the oil. The softer, silkier, thinner leather used on pockets and the front and back faces of the bag did not react well (I'm not actually sure these parts are leather, though the bag is advertised as 100% leather, leather from what animal, I am not so sure about). The dye on this thinner leather is now coming off after the mink oil application! I let the oil set for about a week in hopes the oil would be absorbed more and still, the same problem persists. A wipe from a dry paper towel shows show the dye is slowly being removed from the bag. Since the oil caused the dye to come off, I would think the dye is oil-based and not alcohol based like the dye in the thicker bits of leather. Images detailing the damage are attached.

Is there a way to restore and seal the dye on my bag?
Thanks again for reading.

Roger Koh
08-01-2014, 09:39 AM
>>> Is there a way to restore and seal the dye on my bag?

You have three choice of coloring in black to match from – transparent “staining” as Aniline-21 system, transparent “coating” as Aniline-76 system or opaque micro-pigment as Micro-54 system.

The sequence of procedure is as follows:

1] Mink oil has to be degreased with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0 for bleeding control if any. Mink oil damages finishes and the desired suppleness is replaced with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.

2] Due to the presence of mink oil, the degreased finishes has to be seal with Adhesor-73 prior to coating with either Aniline-76 > topcoat system or Micro-54 > topcoat system.

3] Protector-B+ imparts a natural buttery-feel, reduces noisy squeaks thus prolongs the wear of the finishes.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

Leather Doctor Kit A7.cl – Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
Leather DoctorŽ Kit A7.cl, aniline leather dye refinishing kit is designed for dyestuff and topcoat refinishing from the simple sunlight fading to the severely sweat damages from body oil and grease. Most severely penetrated, prolonged and neglected stains show a darkening effect with a sticky feel have its topcoat and dyestuff probably deteriorated by the sweat. When the stain feels sticky, it is a sign of leather denaturing and reverting to rawhide from breaking of bonds with the tanning agent. When sign of color is transfer to a white towel, it indicates that the dyestuff has also break bonds with the protein fiber. When leather is stiff or shows signs of whitish residue migrating, it shows that the fatliquor is breaking bonds as well with the protein fiber. The main component of the leather protein fiber is amphoteric while the other constituents are not; shifting of the pH mainly caused from sweat to alkalinity affects the pH imbalance. To revert from denaturing into rawhide prior to topcoat refinishing, contaminated alkaline soiling is removed with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies greasy contamination besides controlling dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of a healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Custom redyeing commences prior to topcoat refinishing. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery-feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline leathers dyestuff and topcoat refinishing system. Please email [email protected] for custom matching services or choice of color: Antique-Brown, Black, Yellow, Orange, Red, Red-Brown, Rubine, Blue or Dark-Brown.

Leather DoctorŽ Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.