View Full Version : Removing Stains from Suede Jacket

Johnny
05-18-2014, 08:36 PM
Untreated Jacket stain

Treated with Acidifier 2.0

Treated with Cleaner 3.8

Picture of whole jacket

Hi,
Above are pictures of a customers jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are, but have tried to treat it in a couple of ways. The first picture is a sample of an untreated stain, the second I have used acidifier and the third is with cleaner 3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for. Any ideas what I should have done and how to correct what I have already done.

Thanks
Johnny

Roger Koh
05-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Use this Suede (S.n) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.

>>> a customer’s jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are,

My guess is the possibility of alcoholic stains; alcohol breaks the hydrogen bond between the protein fiber and the dyestuff and when the fugitive dyestuff is removed it shows the natural crust color. To confirm that the dyestuff has already being affected prior to cleaning is to test the two products out – Use a cotton swab saturated with both Clean-3.8 and Acidifier-2.0 on a hidden corner and see the result.

>>> the second I have used Acidifier-2.0 and the third is with Clean-3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for.

As explain above the stains have already been leach out. Cleaning the surface fugitive dyestuff simply reveals it.

>>> Any ideas what I should have done

Always test out any product on a hidden area and let dry to observe prior to actual application.

>>> and how to correct what I have already done.

The only solution is restoring the matching color with Suede/Nubuck-28

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]

Leather Exotica
03-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Use this Suede (S.n) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.

>>> a customer’s jacket which has a number of the same liquid stains on it. I am not sure what they are,

My guess is the possibility of alcoholic stains; alcohol breaks the hydrogen bond between the protein fiber and the dyestuff and when the fugitive dyestuff is removed it shows the natural crust color. To confirm that the dyestuff has already being affected prior to cleaning is to test the two products out – Use a cotton swab saturated with both Clean-3.8 and Acidifier-2.0 on a hidden corner and see the result.

>>> the second I have used Acidifier-2.0 and the third is with Clean-3.8. Both have different results but not the desired result I was looking for.

As explain above the stains have already been leach out. Cleaning the surface fugitive dyestuff simply reveals it.

>>> Any ideas what I should have done

Always test out any product on a hidden area and let dry to observe prior to actual application.

>>> and how to correct what I have already done.

The only solution is restoring the matching color with Suede/Nubuck-28

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]

The chart presented here seems to be useful and easy to understand. Thank you for posting it here.