PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Mono-Tone) - Restoring a Worn and Overstretch Sectional

Questions!
05-12-2014, 11:05 AM
I recently learned of your website and I hope Leather Doctor can help me restore this couch for a reasonable price!
I've attached a couple of pictures, can you tell me if this is something I can restore on my own with success.
And what products should I use?

rchow
05-12-2014, 11:14 AM
I don’t know if I can handle a ‘professional’ job myself at home with all the products you recommended and I certainly don’t have the skills for airbrushing or the equipment.
Is there something you can recommend, that I can clean, condition and add some colour back into the cushions that need it....I don’t want to risk re-colouring the entire couch – just the 4 cushions that need it. Is this something I can do with your products?

Roger Koh
05-12-2014, 11:29 AM
We need to identify the leather type first.

Please take a picture of the reverse suede side and see if the color range is the same as the surface?

rchow
05-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Hi I'm not sure what do you mean? This is a leather couch (not suede). do you want me to take a picture of the bottom of the cushion?

Roger Koh
05-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Unzip any of the cushion and see the color of the reverse suede side.

Roger Koh
05-12-2014, 02:49 PM
There are no zippers. Only label is attached.

This leather is identified as "Semi-Aniline".

This Semi-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide is used as reference.

Roger Koh
05-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Products information:

Leather Doctor Kit Sa7.cl – Semi-Aniline Leather Color Refinishing Kit
Leather Doctor® Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles. This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as acidifier-2.0, Rinse-3.0, Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.

Leather Doctor Impregnator-26

Leather Doctor® Impregnator-26 is design for structural weakness on pigmented and aniline smooth leather types. This is a protein compact resin-blend compound for impregnating worn leather grains and micro cracks. It is to seal, strengthen and leveling out uneven absorption for further coating process. It fills and tightens with good leveling properties that is film forming for improve abrasion resistance. Caution! Avoid darkening effects on all non-pigmented leathers; apply from the reverse suede side instead!