PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Full Sauvage) - chair & ottoman faded & head oils, for: "Elkins"

chet
05-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Head oil and faded pictures to follow
Sent you a leather sample to match

chet
05-09-2014, 05:57 AM

close up of hair oil

close up of hand oil

Most fading on top

Odd discolored/ fading on side?

chet
05-09-2014, 06:00 AM
Ottoman

Roger Koh
05-19-2014, 10:46 AM
>>> Sent you a leather sample to match

Sample received is “semi-aniline” sauvage design leather. Removal of this surface micro coating is by Stripper-2.3. Recreating this mottled fashion will require Micro-54 as the base opaque coloring to block out existing appearance and a secondary coloring to create the molted design with translucent 2Tone-37 hybrid dyestuff.

>>> close up of hair oil #2 and close up of hand oil #3

These body oil, grease and sweat stains are degreased and protonated at the same time with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0 for further control bleeding. Further deep removal of suspended foreign soiling is done with the help of Hydrator-3.3 using a reverse transfer technique to trap the soiling particulates as it wicks through a stretchable paper towel.

>>> Most fading on top #4, Odd discolored/ fading on side #5?, Ottoman #6.
Since the leather was originally dye through, the dormant or excess dyestuff within the leather structure may be reactivated to moves to the surface with Hydrator-3.3 evaporation control dwelling process for up to 72 hours duration. Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing thereafter will take a deeper appearance besides imparting the leather with softness and strength. This leather rejuvenating process helps reduce the color contrast making color refinishing achieving a more natural finer appearance.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com
[email protected]

Product information:

Leather Doctor Kit Sa7.cl – Semi-Aniline Leather Color Refinishing Kit
Leather DoctorŽ Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Roger Koh
07-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Good to see some pictures!

chet
07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
hair oil area after first cleaning. We then applied DGrease2.2 AND LET DWELL OVERNIGHT. Recleaned then rinsed , hydrated and fatliquored overnight. Rinsed again, dried thoroughly for several days. area looked ok but as soon as I applied Impregnator with color this area shrunk. I have about 5 applications of Impregnator. I was going to use stucco to fill low areas and try to stretch back.

close up of finish before applying stucco.

Roger Koh
07-22-2014, 09:13 AM
Is there a way to work from the reverse suede side?

Roger Koh
07-22-2014, 09:16 AM
>>> I was going to use stucco to fill low areas and try to stretch back.

Reverse the sequence - stretching first, stucco last.

Prior to stretching the leather is recommended to be hydrated (stretch) > fatliquored (stretch) > Impregnated (stretch) and best work from the reverse suede side.

chet
07-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Can only work from the top. I was stretching between each step. Looks good now.

Roger Koh
07-22-2014, 12:35 PM
Like to have a look at your progress, please!

chet
07-23-2014, 10:38 AM
Overall appearance much better, but client needs chair back and color of dye is off, I don't have enough dye to touch up and will need a deeper tone
Please send out 250 ml of dye with next order. I told client that we will touch up when dye comes in.

Close up of original swatch against seat cushion.

I want to work on head oil area, cracking still apparent.

Roger Koh
07-23-2014, 11:45 AM
>>> Please send out 250 ml of dye with next order.

"Leather DoctorŽ - Micro-54 (MELOCHE - Custom Maroon) - 250ml"

This order is ready to be shipped as an individual order, do you want it out today?

Roger Koh
07-23-2014, 11:57 AM
>>> I want to work on head oil area, cracking still apparent.

Tips:
The integrity and strength of the leather lies within the structure and should not be ignore while working on appearance.

Working on the leather structure will require Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Impregnator-26 system.

Working on surface will require Bond-3D + Stucco-90 to conceal cracks, as this is a high stress areas Bond-3D will give extra strength to the Stucco-90 from constant flexing.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
[email protected]

chet
08-21-2014, 06:43 AM
I still haven't received the 250ml of dye need to finish this chair- I posted several weeks ago, I need a deeper tone the original was too light.
clients name: Elkins

Roger Koh
08-21-2014, 11:38 AM
From our record

chet
10-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Is this dye on its way yet? Also Aniline clear76?

Roger Koh
10-07-2014, 01:55 PM
Check Paypal invoiced send!

chet
11-15-2014, 04:36 AM
Roger,

We will be working on this chair and ottoman Monday. We are going to do a little more filing at the hair oil area, and apply dye to a few areas where it is too light to even up the appearance. The hair oil area stretched back somewhat and looks good. I need to know how you want us to prep the leather prior to re-dying it. It has been getting used for 3 months.

Roger Koh
11-15-2014, 07:14 PM
>>> I need to know how you want us to prep the leather prior to re-dying it.

If there is a zip behind, reworking with Hydrator-3.3 to relax the shrinkage and Fatliquor-5.0 to hold it up better will improve the appearance of shrinkage. Otherwise the finishes may be removed with Stripper-2.3 and shaved off in order to reach the leather crust and allow the rejuvenating system go into the leather structure to improve the appearance of shrinkage.

If Stripper-2.3 is used then either Rinse-3.0 or Hydrator-3.3 may be used for rinsing any finishes residue off the surface.

Impregnator-26 when used for weak leather structure repair is used as a standalone. And to finish with opaque Micro-54 adding color to the Impregnator-26 does not serve much purpose, as any Impregnator-26 that is left or remaining on the surface should be rinse off to reduce surface build-up.

>>> We are going to do a little more filing at the hair oil area,

Filling is classify as surface repairs and at this stage is done with combination products using Bond-3D + Stucco-90 + Micro-54. Bond-3D will be able to withstand more flex from cracking. Stucco-90 have more body for filling but may not stand up from stress that is why at least 50% of the Bond-3D is used in the mix, stronger when percentage goes up. Micro-54 is for aesthetic appearance.

When repairs are done with satisfaction the surface is seal with Adhesor-73. Color Coating with Micro-54. Topcoat with MicroTop-54. And Protection with Protector-B+.

Roger Koh
11-15-2014, 07:23 PM
>>> We then applied DGrease2.2 AND LET DWELL OVERNIGHT. Recleaned then rinsed , hydrated and fatliquored overnight. Rinsed again, dried thoroughly for several days. area looked ok but as soon as I applied Impregnator with color this area shrunk.

I believe the leather in this area was empty of Fatliquor - otherwise it will not shrink!

The Impregnator-26 with colouring may not have penetrated into the leather structure but stay on the surface.

Need to re-examine the details of Degreasing in connection with the rejuvenating process.

For further reading

Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor:

The quantities of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents retained in the leather after an universal tannery fatliquoring process may varies up to 14% depending on the leather types and it usage. This percentage drops as the fat and oil content diminishes or leaches through ageing, water, heat or chemical overexposure.

Leather rejuvenating or fatliquor replenishing is base on weight of the leather in relation to the percentage of remaining fatliquor. A simple calculation of percentage of fatliquor topping up requirement would be as follows:

If the weight of the leather in question is 100gm and fatliquor (fat and oil) content meter reading is less than 1%.

By applying 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to it will deliver an end result incremental of 13.3% fatliquor when dry as the 66.6% water contents evaporates.

In the leather rejuvenating Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system, Hydrator-3.3 plays an important role by relaxing, opening up the inter-fibrillary spaces, facilitating and redistributing colloidal water movement, protonating and doing all the pre-conditioning work prior to fatliquoring including cleaning up any excess surface remnants to have a sticky-free surface. In practice the ratio for Hydrator-3.3 is 2 to 1 of Fatliquor-5.0.

It works out to be approximately 160gm of Hydrator-3.3 plus 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish a 100gm dry leather from less than 1% back to the original tannery up to 14% fatliquor content.