PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Mono-Tone) - Chair to clean & possibly repair - would like to know type of leather and kit / product to use

camjr
04-27-2014, 11:45 AM
I've reviewed the other threads, but I still don't know how to identify the type of leather of the purple armchair I have to know how to treat it - is it possible for someone to tell me that from the attached pictures?

Once I know that, I would like to know how to clean the chair - which product(s) or kit is best?

Finally, if there's a product that can repair what I believe to be claw marks, that would be great.

I'm also asking a 'how to clean' question under the bags forum - I appreciate the time in answering these questions, thank-you.

~jr

Roger Koh
05-01-2014, 02:07 PM
>>> how to identify the type of leather of the purple armchair.

The color looks brown to me or is it purple?
This leather looks Aniline with a gloss finish.
Aniline leather is dye throughout and the reverse suede side (from the edges) will reveal the same color range.

>>> I have to know how to treat it - is it possible for someone to tell me that from the attached pictures?

Use this Aniline (A) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference.

>>> Finally, if there's a product that can repair what I believe to be claw marks, that would be great.

Any serious repairs to the claw marks with Bond-3D/7A may produce a darkening effect and may need to follow-up with a darker aniline transparent dyestuff to camouflage the marks. An alternative is done with first bringing up or reactivate the color with Hydrator-3.3 to make the mark less contrasting, soften the leather with Fatliquor-5.0, when dry AnilineTop-21G to magnify or amplify the color intensity.

>>> Once I know that, I would like to know how to clean the chair -

1st. The complete preparation cleaning is done with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0 to control dye bleeding if any.
2nd The leather is rejuvenated dormant dyestuff reactivated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
3rd Repairs is done with only AnilineTop-21G to avoid darkening effect.

>>> which product(s) or kit is best?

Recommend Kit A6.tc from this link: http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/the-Kit-%E2%80%93-Aniline-Leather-Care-%28Gloss-fdsh-Satin%29-cln-Aniline-Leather-Refinishing-dsh-Topcoat-Kit-A6.tc/Categories.
Products mentioned are also available as individual bottle.

Leather Doctor Kit A6.tc – Aniline Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit
Leather Doctor® Kit A6.tc, aniline leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for topcoat repairs from friction wear, accidental scratch, scuff and abrasion to deteriorating greasy sweat stains. These topcoat damages are identified as white, dull or darkening stain from bare body contacts. Accidental whitish damages in most cases are free of soiling and direct AnilineTop-21G application with in between dry sanding rectifies most damages. Repairs to topcoat from daily wears that dulls will require a degreasing to remove penetrated rub-in soiling prior to topcoat application in a sequence process including Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0; Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0 prior to topcoat application. In a greasy and sweaty topcoat damaged areas especially to the headrest and armrest, a deep degreasing is essential follows with Acidifier-2.0 to stabilize the hydrogen bonding between the protein fibers with the other leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. This deep degreasing process is assisted by leather Eraser-4 in both the wet and dry cleaning process to remove soiling particulates off the leather surface. Hydrator-3.3 helps in the colloidal water movement bringing suspended soiling particulates to resurface through a dwelling and wicking process. Fat and oil is replenished by Fatliquor-5.0 in an emulsion form to penetrate into the leather structure. Once the fat and oil is hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, the water content breaks free leaving a breathing space for natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness preventing the leather structure from collapsing during compressing and flexing while the oil lubricates the fiber from sliding smoothly over one another like millions of connecting hinges. Protector-B+ impart a non-stick, rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel helps reduce friction wear to the topcoat and extended a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. When the leather is contaminated with foreign soiling, it is essential to look at topcoat refinishing in a holistic approach. Note that the cleaning and rejuvenating products suffix denotes its pH value in this leather-safe aniline leathers topcoat refinishing system.

Note:
Quality pictures will help proper identification!

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

camjr
05-11-2014, 11:15 PM
The chair is in fact purple, and yes I would say it has a gloss finish to the leather. Thank-you for giving me a good estimate as to the type of leather.

The steps you mention...

1st. The complete preparation cleaning is done with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0 to control dye bleeding if any.
2nd The leather is rejuvenated dormant dyestuff reactivated with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
3rd Repairs is done with only AnilineTop-21G to avoid darkening effect.

...are very helpful, and I'll look at the kit you mention - much obliged! ~J.R.