PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Micro or Semi-Aniline) - Restore this Semi Aniline Chair & Ottoman

chet
02-28-2014, 01:31 PM
I need dye and procedure to repair this chair and ottoman. alot of oil seat, arms and back.

Roger Koh
02-28-2014, 04:40 PM
Pictures not showing up, please re-post them.

chet
02-28-2014, 06:55 PM

chet
03-03-2014, 06:10 AM
Roger, Ive sent you a sample of the leather. You should receive it any day now.

Roger Koh
03-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Most of these body oil, grease and sweat are already penetrated and it has to be all out for a refinishing.

Degreasing is perform by Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0 for control bleeding easily from the surface. Penetrated from below surface may require saturating the leather structure with Hydrator-3.3, control evaporation with Hydrator-3.3 up to 72 hours dwell time to move the suspended particulates to the surface.

I will walk you through the process including a new technique for inspecting the thoroughness of the degreasing process.

Reference for this project:

Pigmented (P.m) Micro-Pigmented / Semi-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide.

Recommended startup Kit Sa7.cl with custom color.

Leather Doctor Kit Sa7.cl – Semi-Aniline Leather Color Refinishing Kit

Leather DoctorŽ Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

chet
03-19-2014, 07:15 AM

Roger, Progress so far, Cleaned with 7.7, 4.4, 2.2, Clean 3.8, Rinse 3.0, Hydrated and Fat Liquored overnight. I don't like the way it looks but it feels clean. Dark areas seem to be lose of color, not sure how to lighten it back up?

Arms have rings, Seat cushion looks blothy and dark, hair oil only a little darker, Ottoman looks pretty good.

Roger Koh
03-19-2014, 10:31 AM
>>> Dark areas seem to be losing of color, not sure how to lighten it back up?

Dark areas especially on the headrest may still have grease below its surface and may need extra treatment of Degreaser-2.2 to get them out or lighten it.

>>> Arms have rings; seat cushion looks blotchy and dark, hair oil only a little darker,

Armrests and seat darken areas may be due to wick-up residue that remains on the surface that is traction removed by Eraser-4 follows by 2000grit sanding deteriorated or discolored finishes (avoid sanding into the leather crust). Then an extra degreasing may lighten it back.

A more even tone overall appearance properly prep makes color refinishing much easier, otherwise extra coating may be needed to block off the darker patches.

Tips:
Adhesor-73 with extra attention to these mentioned areas will retards or prevent adhesion failure from contaminated oils that may be slowly moving up to interfere with the new finishing.

Thicknener-48 up to 10% to the color mix will increase its viscosity with better flow control coverage.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

chet
04-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Sanded with 1000 grit (tried 1500 grit but didn't do anything) on problem areas gently, Applied Degrease 2.2, agitated with aniline eraser, re-applied after 10 minutes.
Pictures show where they are at now. I will rinse in another 20 minutes and post pictures tomorrow.
I will finish and dyeing tomorrow if all goes well.
There are a few cracks in seat cushion, how should I fill?
Do I apply Adhesor-73 prior to leather bond?
And how much micro pigment can I add to leather bond?
How should I apply Adhesor-73? spray or sponge brush in?

After Degrease2.2 allowing it to dwell

Close up of seat

Hair oil

Rt arm

Left arm

chet
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Close up of cracks, they are minor but on seat cushion and will be noticeable unless filled. I can barely feel them with my fingernail.

Minor cracks In about a 5" area, rest of cushion is crack free.

How chair looks after thorough rinse.
I sprayed rinse almost a puddle and agitated with aniline eraser and absorbed with towel. I worked about 10 square inch area a time them sprayed rinse all over and absorbed with towels to feather it out.

Roger Koh
04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
>>> Sanded with 1000 grit (tried 1500 grit but didn't do anything) on problem areas gently, Applied Degrease 2.2, agitated with aniline eraser, re-applied after 10 minutes. Pictures show where they are at now. I will rinse in another 20 minutes and post pictures tomorrow.

Tips:
The grease, oil and sweat stains are deep, to let it dwell better to emulsify the contamination – cling wrapped it to control evaporation will be more effective – continue apply under wrapped to keep the leather saturated and leave to the next day. Extra rinse with Hydrtor-3.3 instead helps relax and open the pores for better released of suspended soiling particulates.

>>> I will finish and dyeing tomorrow if all goes well.

See if there is an improvement that may not result in adhesion problem in the long run.

>>> There are a few cracks in seat cushion, how should I fill?

It is the stiffness of the leather that when flexed or stressed results in cracks. Rejuvenate it with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system will help soften up these areas thus suppleness prevents it from further cracking.

>>> how should I fill?

Picture from your “Close up of seat” shows coarse hairline cracks.
Filling options are by Stucco-90, Bond-3D and donor suede fibers of the same color taken from existing suede sides if possible. Since this is a stress area material should able to withstand the constant stress. Stucco-90 is easy to use but not highly recommend on high stress area by itself. Increase strength is achieve by mixing with Bond-3D with the higher the ratio up to 75% for the Bond-3D the stronger will be the repair. Bond-3D with suede fiber as fillers becomes part of leather produce the best result but may not be practical is the gap is too thin for inserting the suede fiber.

>>> Do I apply Adhesor-73 prior to leather bond?

Bond-3D first, follows by Adhesor-73.

>>> And how much micro pigment can I add to leather bond?

25% for micro pigment should satisfy appearance without compromising with strength, anyway I believe the color coating will cover the repairs up, right?

>>> How should I apply Adhesor-73? spray or sponge brush in?

Adhesor-73 is best applied with plush padding or foam brush to even out absorbency rate.
Use a light second coating to test out effectiveness, if it darkens, it means absorbent and need to seal entirely to save on your coloring. Mistake often is made to use the coloring to do the sealing that makes the coating too thick and the finish looks too plastiky. A good foundation with Adhesor-73 will saves on the color coating and produce a finer aesthetic appearance with strength from pealing or cracking.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

Roger Koh
04-02-2014, 10:17 AM
>>> Close up of cracks, they are minor but on seat cushion and will be noticeable unless filled. I can barely feel them with my fingernail - Post #9

After further soften up this area with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 to soften up the area when dry - follow this picture sequence for this repair.

Impregnator-26 penetrates into the thickness of the leather to tighten up the fibrilary structure with added strength. Application can be done with a syringe, plastic pipette or direct application from bottle.

Bond-3D is applied as the first coating leaving top space to be filled with color and stucco mixture.

Color mix with Bond-3D and Stucco-90 – color for appearance, Bond-3D for Strength and Stucco-90 a filling aid.

Filling with suitable tools or any equivalent.

Remove excess with any equivalent tools and when dry sand off to a smooth feel.

Roger Koh
04-02-2014, 01:21 PM
>>> Minor cracks In about a 5" area, rest of cushion is crack free.

This could be an unknown "urine" stain if you can detect some smell?

Does it feels slippery when wet and run over with fingers?

If ammonia smell is detected use d'Urine-2.1.

This could be unforgotten stain that is alkaline in nature that cause the original fatliquor to leach away and when stress leads to cracks.

Stabilize its pH chemistry integrity with Acidifier-2.0 helps.

Roger Koh
04-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Will further give you some tips before you color coat it - show some pictures!

chet
04-07-2014, 10:51 AM
Filled cracks and sanded with 1000 grit

Applying adhesor with a sponge, we wiped in all drips and runs so it looked uniform. Let air dry for about 15 minutes, then used a hairdryer. dried all overlaps from tufting. Then reapplied adhesor and dried.

How it now looks after applying adhesor

Roger Koh
04-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Tips:

Inspect if the stain areas are well sealed - if a damp sponge of Adhesor-73 darkens it again, repeat until it does not turn dark.

Remember to add Thicknener-48 10% by weight to the custom color.

Work on the dark area to test that it will block off the dark color beneath, otherwise use "white" to block off prior to coating the custom color.

Using "white" to block off will reduce unnecessary color buildup with better appearance.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

chet
04-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Several coats of dye and a very good result. Maybe could have used less dye if I had White Micro Pig first. Still a very good look and feel. Still need to top coat.

Entire chair

Hair oil area

Seat cushion

Arms

Roger Koh
04-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Please resend, pictures not showing up!

chet
04-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Completed chair

close up of hair oil area

Close up of seat

chair and ottoman look great and feel great.

chet
04-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Roger I just received an order of dye today. Humphry, Micro white and Duncan. You duplicated and sent me another shipment of this same dye for this chair and ottoman side marked for Duncan. I spoke with you about 3 weeks ago and let you know that I finally received dye for Duncan and to disregard that swatch and order.

Roger Koh
04-21-2014, 09:25 AM
We certainly need to improve communication, as this is not a technical issue phone or email is preferred.

chet
04-25-2014, 01:07 PM
Roger, Please email me when you receive a leather swatch for color match so I know when you receive them. It seems like it takes at least 2 weeks to get to you.

Roger Koh
04-26-2014, 11:09 AM
Will do when we received them!