PDA

View Full Version : Prada - bag need to restore!

Johnny
11-21-2013, 03:34 AM
Hi Roger
Needing help in restoring a Prada bag. The bag is part nylon and part leather and from the pictures quite worn. The handles are totally worn and parts of the leather also worn. Wondering what is the best approach to take in restoring this bag

Thanks
Johnny

Roger Koh
11-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Please put a number to the picture for reference and a little description so I can answer you from each picture.

However, this Aniline (A) Leather Problem Solving Guide will be used as reference.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

Johnny
11-21-2013, 02:30 PM
What can be done with the worn handle in the last picture?

Roger Koh
11-21-2013, 02:40 PM
I do not see any worn handle from the last picture (which one is the last picture - the one with the metal ring or the "attached images"? - a reference number will be easier as reference)

Impregnator-26 is for internal structure repair.

Adhesor-73 is for surface abrasion repair.

Follows with Anilne-76 (black).

Then AnilineTop-76G.

Protector-B+ finish it.

(See guide - Structure Problem - worn and over-stretch sequence of process to the problem).

Roger Koh
11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
What you are showing (the handle damages) in the last picture was hidden away, now I see.
Options will follow.

Johnny
11-21-2013, 02:53 PM
For some reason the picture is placed after the words "Thanks Johnny" you can see the Prada logo in the picture and also my hand holding the handle. The first layer of leather has worn completely off exposing the next layer of the handle

Roger Koh
11-22-2013, 11:32 AM
>>> The handles are totally worn and parts of the leather also worn. Wondering what is the best approach to take in restoring this bag.

Worn can be repaired, but missing leather completely from friction rubs needs replacement.

There is no best answer to the solution depending on your customer's expectation.

What do they expect, a complete replacement of new leather – is option #1.

Repair with new suede fibers (just like fiberglass) is option #2.

Repair without any leather material is option #3.

Anyway, prior to repairs the leather need to be clean in this sequence:

Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 >>> Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 and leave to dry when the repair begins:

1 – Use Bond-3D to bond the edges of the damage to the base of the leather.

2 – Add Bond-3D to Aniline-76 (black) and color the base.

3 – The edge of the repair have to be smooth to the touch or feel of hand – this is done with working with Bond-3D and Bond-7A to smoothed out the edges.

4 – To even out the appearance – work on the remaining areas with Aniline-76 and finished off with AnilineTop-76 gloss and matte to produce matching luster effect.

5 – Rub-Resistant protection – use Protector-B+.

Tips:
Option #3 besides repairing appearance (natural scars) will be least noticeable when detect with hand as compare with option #2.
Option #2 is working with suede fibers of the same type (lambskin) as 3A above.
Option #1 is replacement of lambskin leathers to both handles to look equally good.

Tips:
When work with dark aniline leathers especially black - gloss topcoat gives the best clarity without cloudy effect as compare to matte (matte + gloss = satin).

Questions welcome.

Note:
I like big and sharp pictures.
Better if you include a number (example #1 - Picture shows.........what-to...how-to...?) to each picture and have a description for easy reply reference.

Roger Koh
Leather Care Consultant
www.LeatherDoctor.com

borlinoleather
12-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi Johny,
Your bag is looking fine except it is slightly worn from where you pick it. For that you can simply replace it from Prada. Some stores offer the total replacements if something happens. Let me know where you are residing so that i can tell you where you can replace it. Or if you want to buy a new bag, Di Lusso, Gucci are some of the brands to go for. You can also checkout a new brand in town named Borlino. But is ships only in United States as per my knowledge.