PDA

View Full Version : Aniline (Wax Pull-up) - I have 2 years old Aniline Chesterfield Sofa with cat peed on it.

Roger Koh
03-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I have 2 years old Chesterfield sofa in aniline leather Havana vintage color from haloliving.co.uk.
Now I have cat as well which peed on it.
Pictures are attached.
Spot is still wet and I don't have any special cleaning aids.
All New Zealand cleaning companies will treat it as surface dirt and do just one-step cleaning.
What I can do as treatment before your products will arrive?
And cat must stay in house for few more days as it’s relocated from different owner.

Michal

Roger Koh
03-04-2013, 03:15 AM
Spot is still wet and I don't have any special cleaning aids.
What I can do as treatment before your products will arrive?

Soak up as much of urine as possible, while waiting for the products to arrive.
Apply distilled water let it soak in and towel extract as much of the solid content as possible.
Cover with tissue paper and wet through without airspace to trap the soiling as it wick during the drying process.
This wicking process utilizing distilled water and tissue paper is a preliminary measure until the products arrived.

Now I have cat as well which peed on it.
And cat must stay in house for few more days as it’s relocated from different owner.

Cat has the tendency to go back to the same spot to do it again.

All New Zealand cleaning companies will treat it as surface dirt and do just one-step cleaning.

Urine is dirt of a different kind; it is a compound waste discharge, comprises of urochrome, uric acid and the ammonium salt to deal with. When deposited urine attracts the natural bacteria from the atmosphere and starts to ferments, a putrid odor will develop from the protein component of the urine and ammonia odor will develop from the ammonium salt. When ammonia odor becomes present, the pH of the contamination would have shifted to 10. Such high pH above the neutral average 3 to 5 of leather causes the amphoteric protein fiber to shift ionic negative (-ve); that causes the protein fibers to repels its other ionic negative (-ve) constituents like the tanning agent, fatliquor and dyestuff. Behaving just like the attraction of a magnet, like poles repel. When the leather constituent breaks hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, the leather starts to denature and revert to rawhide. The first sign of leather denaturing is stickiness from the ionic repelling tanning agent. Destabilized dyestuff becomes fugitive and will show when rub with a damp white towel. Stiffness of the leather indicates the diminishing effect of fatliquor.

A systematic sequence of decontamination approach includes surface residue removal with Rinse-3.0 (pH 3.0), uric acid removal with d’Protein-10 (pH 10), pH balance with Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) recharging the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve) and neutralizing the ammonium salt with d’Urine-2.1 (pH 2.1). Utilizing such a low pH treatment retards bacteria activities from off gassing putrid odors, a natural pH control without the need to use bactericide or fungicide for mold prevention. Therefore, urine is a type of dirt that will require a biochemistry approach to decontaminate it.

Restoring the leather begins after decontamination with Hydrator-3.3, a pH 3.3 multifunctional product that has ionic positive (+ve) charging abilities, an active surfactantcy essential for colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces to redistribute the leather constituents and purging foreign contamination to resurface. This is the last of the wet cleaning process to remove suspended urochrome yellowish compound through visible white tissue paper as an extension of the leather in the wicking process as the leather dries naturally.

Only then, without a trace of the urine stain that Fatliquor-5.0 (pH 5.0) replenishing commences. The emulsified fat and oil encased water molecule breaks free when hydrogen bond attraction takes place between the fat and oil with the protein fiber, leaving a breathing space essential for leather transpiration to function naturally. The fat plumps the leather with fullness from easily collapsing into creases and wrinkles during stress or flex, while the oil lubricates the fibers so that they slide over one another like millions of inter-connecting hinges with smoothness. One important unique characteristic of leather is suppleness with strength and much depends on the fatliquor.

I have 2 years old Chesterfield sofa in aniline leather Havana vintage color from haloliving.co.uk.

From pictures, the leather is identified as aniline with a wax pull-up finishes. Wax pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As effect wax, behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some coagulates as fine crystal and remains on the surface. The naturally dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated that coats the surface with a glossy sheen.

Products mentioned are found in this Kit Aw3.uo

Leather Doctor® Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather - Urine Odor Killer Kit AW3.uo

Roger Koh
[email protected]