PDA

View Full Version : I have only owned the 2010 Lexus ES350 for a month but the driver's seat backrest is showing hairline cracks

Questions!
03-01-2013, 10:12 PM
I have a 2010 Lexus ES350 and I would like to enhance the leather upholstery smell back into my interior.
Your product got great reviews online.
Look forward to using it soon.
Thank you for the recommendation.
I have only owned the Lexus ES350 for a month but the driver's seat backrest is showing hairline cracks as well as a small portion of the heated/cooled perforated driver's seat (I am certain the seats were never hydrated or protected).
Passenger and rear bench seat do not get much use and thus, do not show signs of cracks or wear.
I recently bought and have used Tanner's Preserve Leather cleaner and conditioning cream.
I like the smell but think I need a more long-term permanent solution to keeping the leather in top notch condition as I plan to keep the car for 10+ years.
Wanted to wait until had natural light this morning to take photos.
Great points about the stitched holes.
Tried to take a close up but I cannot see any stress on the stitches (can you?).
I found a magnifying glass but photos with it did not turn out well.
Based on these photos, can you tell me the best course of action to remediate and remove the cracks and enhance the overall condition of the leather?
I'll send you multiple photos in additional emails due to the HD size of the photos.
I also saw it will take about 4 days to be delivered from you location in Canada.
Really looking forward to rejuvenating my interior with your products.
Thanks for your input.
Thanks and look forward to your response.

Peter B. H.

Questions!
03-01-2013, 10:15 PM

Roger Koh
03-01-2013, 10:43 PM

2010 Lexus ES350 - Lets go through the pictures. . . creases and wrinkles filled with soiling that mistaken for cracks.

Pictures #1, #3, #4, #5, #8 & #9:

These pictures show the leather creases or wrinkles and soiling or aged conditioner lodge there.
It is often assumed that they are cracking or showing hairline cracks but not.
A restoration cleaning is required to remove the accumulated soiling.

Procedure is as follows:
Prep-7.7 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.

Roger Koh
03-01-2013, 11:16 PM

2010 Lexus ES350 - This picture shows possible finish damages on the vertical red mark lines.

Possible causes are from the sharp edges of the safety belts.

This side bolster has received lots of compression that develops these creases.

Further noisy rubbing in and out of the seat wears the top ridge of the creases, eventually revealing the leather crust.

Restorative cleaning by Prep-7.7 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 will confirm if the damage is real or just accumulated soiling.

Rejuvenating by Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing is a consideration to even out the stressing tension.

Protector-B+ with the buttery-feel lubricates the surface with reduce friction noises prolong the life of the finish from abrasive wear.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
03-01-2013, 11:30 PM

2010 Lexus ES350 - This picture shows excess of folding lines due to friction stretch where the leather somehow gets stuck to our body.

A well-lubricated leather with a non-stick and rub-resistant protector will reduce stretching folds and creases.

Solution to the problem:

1. Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 (will taut up the stretch as the leather thickness increases)
2. Protector-B+ (reduce rub-resistant translate to less stretch to the leather)

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
03-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Tried to take a close up but I cannot see any stress on the stitches (can you?).

The red marked stitching rows show tear to the stitching holes.

These and other exposed perforated holes will develop or cracks eventually.

Periodic hydrating to relax and fatliquor replenish will increase its tear strength.

2010 Lexus ES350 - Red marked points shows tear to the stitching rows.
"I plan to keep the car for 10+ years" (have to watch out these weak points with periodic care)

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Roger Koh
03-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Products mentioned is found in this Kit Ap3

Kit Ap3 – Auto Pigmented (perforated) Leather Care Kit

Restorative Care
Restorative care is the ultimate corrective or salvage care system that removes accumulated soiling including aged conditioners to its original OEM finishes. Accumulated soiling that fills creases is often mistaken for cracks. Restorative cleaning is performed by using Prep-7.7. It works by chemical reaction to emulsify soiling through its penetrating, lubricating and suspending power. Its thick as honey viscosity facilitates coating the surface for effective dwell time. Horsehair detailing Brush-1 is recommended to worked into heavily soiled areas sufficiently to avoid excessive agitation that might damage already weaken finishes especially on heavily used areas. For extreme cases, the Prep-7.7 can stay continuous for up to 72 hours to do its work safely.

1st phase - Restorative Cleaning
1. Apply Prep-7.7 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1, ensuring a uniform application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
2. Allow a dwell time of 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries prior to towel extraction until it shows clean.
3. Sticky residue is removed by Cleaner-3.8 with gentle brush agitation and towel extraction until it shows clean.
4. Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extract to a squeaky-clean.
5. Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat Prep-7.7 application with a longer dwell time as necessary or proceed to hydrating.

2nd phase – Hydrating
Although pigmented leathers surfaces are usually non-absorbent until micro crazing develops it is the stitching rows and perforated holes that are usually vulnerable. These weak areas when wet and dry again have the tendency for the fibrils to become stick together resulting in stiffness and when stressed may lead to premature cracks. Hydrating is essential to relax and separate the stick together collapsing fibrous structure besides charging it ionic positive for a more effective hydrogen bonding with the negative ionic fatliquor.
1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 control and spread with foam brush to hydrate especially the stitching rows and perforated sections.
2. Let dwell 10 to 30 minutes depending on severity of dryness with optional plastic cling wrapping to control evaporation for a longer dwell time to plumps the leather more effectively.

3rd phase – Fat and Oil Replenishing
Fatliquor evaporates as VOC (volatile organic compound) when temperatures rises especially from exposed micro-crazing, perforation and stitching rows. Periodic fat and oil replenishing maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus strengthen these exposed leather from cracking.
1. Spray Fatliquor-5.0 control and spread with foam brush to hydrate especially the stitching rows and perforated sections.
2. Repeat application in between drying until saturated.
3. The leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.
4. Surface strays are wipe with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue.

4th phase – Preventive Care
1. Apply Protector-B+ to the seats and Protector-D+ to steering wheel including the gear shift knob after shaking well spread
with lint free towel and is ready for use when dry.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Questions!
03-10-2013, 09:30 PM
This was this morning after 16 hours of prep 7.7. Appears permanent damage due to excessive compression? Any thoughts?

Questions!
03-10-2013, 09:32 PM
This was after 2 applications of prep 7.7, cleaner, rinse but before hydration and fat liquor. I let first application of prep stay on overnight for approx 16 hours.

Questions!
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
This is after prep 7.7, cleaner, rinse, hydration, and fatliquor. I had 2 applications for prep 7.7. All applications were with brush agitation per instructions. Looks like damage is irreparable?

Roger Koh
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Should repeat Prep-7.7 to those questionable soil lines for another 32 hours before cleaning up with Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.
(If you need to drive, place paper towel soak through with Prep-7.7 and cling wrapped it).

Finish pre-damages repairs will be at the last after Fatliquor-5.0. However, Fatliquor-5.0 is meant for the thickness of the leather structure and not to remain on the surface. Spray Hydrator-.3.3 and drive them into stitching rows and perforated holes.

Repairs to Post #9, picture #2 is done with this sequence for your consideration
1.] Apply Adhesor-73 to wear areas with a bamboo skewers
2.] Color mix is possible with Pigment-64 = 90% white 7% black and 3% ochre (this is only an estimate with adjustment at your end to derive at a perfect match).
3.] MicroTop-54M (matte)
4.] Protector-B+

Roger Koh
[email protected]