PDA

View Full Version : Pigmented (Two-Tone) - Need help identifying discoloration

addfellow
03-01-2013, 03:53 PM
Any ideas what this discoloration is & how to remove it? It is a stain on a leather chair in the area where my head rests and yes, I have been known to sit & relax in this chair with my hair still damp from the shower. Thanks!11091110

Roger Koh
03-01-2013, 11:55 PM
The main problem is the second pictures where the finish is wear off.

This looks like a three layers finishes, a primary white color that blocks off the grayish blue leather crust, a secondary ochre color that is again over colored with a tertiary brown color to produce a simulated aniline leather effect. A complete restoration has to be in the sequence of the coloring order.

Prior to a color refinishing the stain areas is probably be degreased using a waterbased Degreaser-2.2 (pH 2.2) follows with a pH stabilizer using Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) prior to a color refinishing system.

In this wet preparatory cleaning, the first picture surface residue will be stripped off as well.

This is a refinishing work rather than cleaning to improve the appearance and restore the leather pH integrity.

Cleaning just remove the surface residues, is that what you would like to do?

Does the stain area feels sticky when feel with touch?

Let me know you decision and I will recommend accordingly.

Roger Koh
[email protected]

addfellow
03-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for you very detailed reply, Roger. Honestly, I don't care nearly as much about the discoloration seen in the 2nd picture as I do about that ugly surface residue. In fact, the only reason I would spend the $ to do the restoration you describe is if the restoration would significantly prolong the life of the chair. This was a fairly low-priced piece of furniture, and not necessarily worth the investment of much more $.

So yes, if there is a way I can remove the surface residue myself, that would be great.

I've used the manufacture-supplied leather cleaner & restore wipes on the stain area. While that area's not "sticky", my hand doesn't glide over the stain area nearly as smoothly as it does over the unblemished areas of the chair.

Thanks again.

Roger Koh
03-06-2013, 03:46 PM
>>>So yes, if there is a way I can remove the surface residue myself, that would be great.

The surface residue will most probably be removed by Prep-7.7; the sticky residue would need Cleaner-3.8 to removed follows with Rinse-3.0 to a squeaky feel.
I would try the Cleaner-3.8 first instead as these layers of secondary and tertiary coatings are very delicate and have already been removed. Any stronger product as the Prep-7.7 may remove these deteriorated coating in the process, so need to be caution, in terms of dwell time and agitation.

>>>While that area's not "sticky", my hand doesn't glide over the stain area nearly as smoothly as it does over the unblemished areas of the chair.

The tactile feel will improve with a buttery-feel with Protector-B+, which will also impart a non-stick and a rub-resistant surface.

Products mention is found in this Kit P2

Roger Koh
[email protected]

Leather DoctorŽ Kit P2 Pigmented Leather Care Kit