Thread: Coronado - Please help- can I remove Kiwi Camp Dry Silicone spray from my purse, and re-lighten it??

Default Coronado - Please help- can I remove Kiwi Camp Dry Silicone spray from my purse, and re-lighten it??

Hi everyone, I just bought a lovely soft purse from Coronado Leather. It was accurately described as glove-soft, antiqued leather in a beautiful light cognac finish. I made the mistake of putting two layers of Kiwi Camp Dry silicone waterproofing spray on it, thinking to protect it, but failing to realize how this would work on it. Now it is an unpleasantly darker shade and doesn't feel nearly as soft. Is there anything I can do to remove the silicone spray and return the leather to how it was before, without further damaging it? I'd love any advice!

To return the leather to how it was before, without further damaging it by removing the silicone spray:

Removing silicone on a smooth non-absorbent surface has proven to be successful without damaging to the leather by using Prep-7.7.
    This product with a pH of 7.7 is not recommended to be used on your glove soft leather, as the alkalinity may affect the pH sensitive dyes.
    The leather safe version is using Prep-4.4 less effective but safer on aniline leathers, however it has no proven record use to remove silicone from aniline leathers yet; you may be the first to try on it.
    The technique to remove is by dwelling the Prep-4.4 for the product to work on the silicone maybe up to 24 hours; follows by cleaning the sticky residue with Cleaner-3.8, then rinse.
    The suspended silicone that is reabsorbed into the leather structure has to be wick out by using Hydrator-3.3.
    So the steps involved Prep-4.4 > Cleaner-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 > Hydrator-3.3
    This cleaning sequence objective is to remove the unpleasantly darker shade side effect from the silicone spray.

doesn't feel nearly as soft

The solvent contents of the silicone spray have cause the drying up of the fatliquor with shrinkage that result in stiffness to the leather.
    Softness and strength is restored by replenishing Fatliquor-5.0.

It would be good if we can see some pictures to confirm that the above recommendation applies to your situation.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

#1 Well the first one is how it looked at the beginning- a lighter color and softer.

#2 The next two are after- the leather is darker and a bit rougher,

#4 and the parts with a little wear just look strange with the silicone product sprayed on.

Will the waterproofing spray wear off over time? Is it worth trying to get the silicone spray out and re-lighten the purse? Have I damaged the leather by spraying on a silicone waterproofer and thus clogging the leather pores? Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 09-03-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Are the lighter color scratches in pictures #2 & #3 the original color you want the leather to return to?

If it is so, then this kit may solve the darkening effect and softening up the leather. . .

Leather Doctor® Aniline Leather – Stain Remover – Gum Based – Kit A3.gs

Thread Information