Thread: Nubuck - Possibly aniline sofa from Craigslist needs scratches camouflaged, color restored, stains cleaned

Default Nubuck - Possibly aniline sofa from Craigslist needs scratches camouflaged, color restored, stains cleaned

Hi all!

I picked up a big leather couch from Craigslist for less than 1/6 of the original price... but it's 7 years old. I don't want to spend a ton to improve it, and I don't expect it to look brand new again, but I want it to look better.
    It's faded and has lighter scuffs as well as some cat scratches (which I'm not really concerned about, but if they'd be minimized I wouldn't mind). In addition, there's a small tear in it in a semi-visible area. The tag says that the couch is 'brushed leather'

I've been looking around the forum but I'm very confused! Can you guys help me figure out what to do? Will update with more photos.

Sorry for the double thread, just realized I don't have permission to edit or reply yet.

I've attached photos - showing some of the damage as well as the texture and overall condition. The swatch photo is up against a cushion so you can see the change in condition (the swatch is attached to the frame under the cushions).

Name:  -1.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  72.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_1748.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  47.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_1754.jpg
Views: 598
Size:  29.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_1755.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_1756.jpg
Views: 581
Size:  54.2 KB

The tag says that the couch is 'brushed leather'

Brushed Leather are leather that is buffed or brush to create a soft, velvety finger writing effect also known as “nubuck”.

Most of the pictures show it is a smooth gloss finish, especially the last picture.

The second last picture shows light scuffing, which is typical of topcoat damages (Aniline Topcoat-79G).

The sample as shown in the first picture does not show any nap of a velvety effect.

The leather has to be positively identified before commencing any cleaning, repairs or refinishing.

You may post more pictures, including the tag that says “brushed leather”.

You may also send me a slice of the sample to positive identify it for you.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information