Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - Restoration Hardware - leather sofa - worn, dull & faded stain spots posible dog pee or other liquid.

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - Restoration Hardware - leather sofa - worn, dull & faded stain spots posible dog pee or other liquid.

I got your name from a friend. I have a sofa from Restoration Hardware that is looking very worn and dull and faded in spots. For years I have tried to find a product/service that could bring new life to it but have not been able. I recently purchased a product from the UK that was supposed to do the trick (wax pull up product). I used it on a corner. It did nothing and left an awful toxic smell. I'm hoping you may have some ideas on what would work. It is dark brown lightly waxed leather.

One of the arms and the top back of sofa has sun damage - faded and dry. The sofa has faded from the dark rich brown when we bought it to a more reddish brown. There are a couple of stain marks also. Is it possible to get the rich dark brown color back? I don't mind that it looks old and worn so much. The Restoration Hardware file shows the actual leather and how it looks now.

The stains are either a small dog pee or other liquid. The spot is lighter. Is this something we can do ourselves? I am in the Seattle area.

Last edited by Questions!; 07-21-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Leather Identification:
    From pictures, this leather is identified as “Aniline Wax Pull-up” leathers.
    It derive it color form a combination of dyestuff, fatliquor and the wax effect.
    On hidden areas the leather can be stretch to review a lightening up of the color will positively confirm that it is a pull up.

I got your name from a friend. I have a sofa from Restoration Hardware that is looking very worn and dull and faded in spots.

Worn:
    - as seen from picture #3, is due to over drying that may have crack the leather – this weak areas can be strengthen by application of Impregnator-26 into the leather structure under “Structural Repairs”
    Dull:
    - as seen from picture #4, is the wearing out of the gloss topcoat – refinishing by using Aniline Topcoat-79G
    Spots Fading:
    – as seen from picture #5, this is most possibly caused by alkaline contamination (as suggested from dog pee to other unknown liquid). It is best to check the health of the leather by rubbing it over with wet finger to detect any signs of sliminess or tackiness. If so, an Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) is highly recommended to revert the spots to a healthy squeaky feel. This is done by soaking the acidifier and towel extract the contamination.
    Dog Pee:
    - Urine is identifiable by its characteristic smell and is best decontaminate by first removing the protein component by using d’Protein-10 follows by d’Urine-2.1 to neutralize the ammonia contents of the stains follows by an acidic rinse with Rinse-3.0 (pH 3.0).

For years I have tried to find a product/service that could bring new life to it but have not been able. I recently purchased a product from the UK that was supposed to do the trick (wax pull up product). I used it on a corner. It did nothing and left an awful toxic smell. I'm hoping you may have some ideas on what would work. It is dark brown lightly waxed leather.

Kit Aw6.dt is the closest that match your leather types and problems – with add-on such as d’Protein-10, d’Urine-2.1, Impregnator-26, Thickener-48, etc.

One of the arms and the top back of sofa has sun damage - faded and dry.

Faded:
    - is restored by using Aniline Dye-21 “Dark Brown”.
    Dry:
    - Is restored by rejuvenating the leather first with Hydrator-3.3 (pH 3.3) to plumps up the stick together fiber and thereafter fatliquor replenish with Fatliquor-5.0

The sofa has faded from the dark rich brown when we bought it to a more reddish brown. There are a couple of stain marks also. Is it possible to get the rich dark brown color back? I don't mind that it looks old and worn so much. The Restoration Hardware file shows the actual leather and how it looks now.
    The stains are either a small dog pee or other liquid. The spot is lighter. Is this something we can do ourselves? I am in the Seattle area.

The sequence of process for a holistic restoration is recommended as follows:

Tackiness/Sliminess of stains:
    Check by wet finger test to detect tackiness or sliminess.
    Use Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) to correct the sliminess to a squeaky feel.

Urine Decontamination:
    Use d’Protein-10 to remove the protein component of the urine stain.
    Thereafter use d’Urine-2.1 to remove and neutralize the ammonia component of the stain from shifting alkaline.

Degreasing:
    Use Degreaser-2.2 to degrease penetrated body, oil and grease and neutralize the sweat simultaneously
    Thereafter rinse off emulsified stains until the color turns clear.

Redyeing:
    Use Aniline Dye-21 for “stain” redyeing into the leather structure. Optional dye “coating” is done after the wax effect replenishing, after Adhesion-73 coating.

Hydrating:
    Use Hydrator-3.3 to hydrate the leather structure, plumping it for an effective fatliquor replenishing.

Fatliquor Replenishing:
    Use Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish the original fatliquor returning the leather to its original suppleness.

Wax Effect Replenishing:
    Use Wax Effect-8.6 to replenish the original pull-up effect.

Adhesion Coating:
    Use Adhessor-73 to coat as foundation/sealer prior to “dye coating”.

Gloss Top Coating:
    Use Aniline Topcoat-73 gloss luster to restore original sheen.

Finish Wear Protection:
    Use Protection-D+ that matches the wax pull-up effect

Let me know if you would like to go through the above sequence of procedure?

With add-on to this basic kit

Leather Doctor® Aniline Wax Pull-up Leather – Color Refinisher, Degreaser & Tackiness Control – Kit Aw6.dt

Standard Colors:
    Dark Brown
    Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-23-2012 at 10:43 PM.

Thread Information