Thread: Question about drying wet cowhide purse?

Default Question about drying wet cowhide purse?

After cleaning and rinsing I had a vintage semi-aniline cowhide purse hanging outside to air out the interior before applying hydrator and fatliquor. Well, we had a torrential downpour while I was out and the purse is sopping wet. I patted it down to remove as much water as I could and stuffed it with towels to maintain the shape. Will applying hydrator and or fatliquor while it is drying be of any benefit or should I wait until it is completely dry? It keeps wanting to shrivel and I've been changing the towels and stuffing it full which seems to help some. Appreciate any help with this.

>>> Will applying hydrator and or fatliquor while it is drying be of any benefit or should I wait until it is completely dry?

When there is not staining or appearance issue; hydrate and fatliquor it while drying.

If inspection after cleaning is necessary to determine satisfaction, then it is only possible when it’s completely dry.

You may show some pictures of the leather types; as rain water may cause stains too, depending on finish types.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thanks Roger. It's black and it was evenly saturated so I'm hoping it will not have water marks, not seeing anything as of yet. Since it is still wet how will I know how much to hydrate before I begin the fatliquor process?

>>> Since it is still wet how will I know how much to hydrate before I begin the fatliquor process?

Hydrating is to relax the leather of creases and wrinkles; if there is, stretch it cross-wise to reduce such creases; hydrating with film cling wrapper and let it dwell overnight will be more effective.

Hydrating is also to check for even appearance while evenly damp.

If the above satisfy you, proceed with fatliquor replenishing it.

This is done repeatedly at interval while the water content evaporates until it’s saturated.

Then leave it natural dry.

Keep the bag stuff with cloth to keep in shape while the leather dries.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thanks Roger, will do!

Thread Information