Thread: Perfume and dust odors

Default Perfume and dust odors

Is there any way to remove old perfume from a handbag. Smells like the perfume was inside the fabric lining and then worked its way into the leather. I've washed the lining several times with soap and water and it has had no effect on the smell. I've also tried various spray odor eliminators, Atmosclear, Nature's Way Pet spray, activated charcoal, baking soda and nothing has diminished the rancid perfume smell.
    On another bag there is an odor I've smelled on many vintage handbags and also on luggage. It isn't moldy or musty, it's a strange odor in the leather like maybe the bag has been stored without proper air circulation or dust protection. Any solution for these problems?

Is there any way to remove old perfume from a handbag.
    Most of scent is oil based, in perfume it is dissolved in alcohol.
    To remove the scent, the off-gassing oil particulates has to be removed and could be done by using Degreaser-2.2, Prep-7.7 or Prep-4.4.
    Below surface into the leather structure would require the help of Degreaser-2.2.
    On surface for non-absorbent leather would need Prep-7.7 and absorbent leather would require the leather-safe Prep-4.4 without interfering with the anionic dyestuff.

Smells like the perfume was inside the fabric lining and then worked its way into the leather.
    For lining any of the above products will work.

I've washed the lining several times with soap and water and it has had no effect on the smell.
    Soap may not have the power to emulsify or breakdown the oily perfume particles, besides its residue scum further coats them; now making removal in two stages – the product has to break down this protective scum before it can reach the oily particulates – thus compounding the problem.

I've also tried various spray odor eliminators, Atmosclear, Nature's Way Pet spray, activated charcoal, baking soda and nothing has diminished the rancid perfume smell.
    What you mentioned about these odor eliminators may only be “masking” or cover-up agent.
    Rancidity is the working of bacteria that’s off-gassing.
    The source that causes the rancid has to be removed follows by sanitizing it with d’Bacteria-3.7 a leather-safe bactericide to be free of bacteria.

On another bag there is an odor I've smelled on many vintage handbags and also on luggage. It isn't moldy or musty, it's a strange odor in the leather like maybe the bag has been stored without proper air circulation or dust protection.
    If the smell is moldy or musty – after decontamination it has to be treated with d’Mold-3.6 a leather-safe fungicide to be free of musty smell.

Any solution for these problems?
    Assuming all these leathers are aniline types:

To remove old perfume, see Kit A3.dr in this link:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ead.php?t=7721

To kill fermenting rancid smell, see Kit A3.ao in this link:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ead.php?t=7718

To kill musty smell, see Kit A3.mo in this link:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ead.php?t=7715

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thanks Roger, it's a whole science! Need to order more products.

Thread Information