Thread: Aniline Wax Pull-up - How to Create the waxy/shiny look for chesterfield style Aniline Wax Pull-up Effect Restoration Hardware sofa and chair

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aniline Wax Pull-up - How to Create the waxy/shiny look for chesterfield style Aniline Wax Pull-up Effect Restoration Hardware sofa and chair

Hi there. I have a chesterfield style sofa and chair that was purchased from Restoration Hardware about a year ago. The leather style is "Tobacco". I'm not sure on the exact type of leather. Based on what I have read here, I would guess aniline wax or oil.

We purchased the furniture before building a new house, and due to delays in the construction of the house, the furniture was stored in a warehouse for several months before arriving.

When it did arrive it had a tackiness that was more intense in some spots than others. Also, the leather seemed to be unusually dry. I called their customer service and they recommended I try a leather conditioner. After doing some research, I purchased a bottle of Lexol cleaner and Lexol conditioner.

I gently cleaned all surfaces with the cleaner. This seemed to remove much of the tackiness. Then I generously applied the conditioner and massaged it in using my hands. I may have been too generous, because when I was finished and the conditioner had set in, the leather seemed too buttery and soft. This is particularly true on the seat cushions as they don't have the buttons that hold the leather taught. It almost feels like you could stretch the leather with your hands. It feels loose, and I wonder if it has, in fact, become stretched.

I see this same style of furniture in movies and magazines, usually in club settings around fireplaces, pool tables, etc. They always appear to be shiny and rich looking. Also, I recently attended a house party where the host had a similar chair, and after sitting in it, I found the leather was much stiffer than mine. Like it was impregnated with wax.

I have attached some photos for your convinience. I really love this furniture and just want it to be more rich and luxurious.

Let me know if I need to do any tests to help you determine the type of leather.

Thanks,

Brad
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information