Thread: Suede - How to clean suede sofa that had water damage?

Default Suede - How to clean suede sofa that had water damage?

Entire sofa is very stiff.

Go through this Problem Solving Guide for Suede and do accordingly to the steps; that will include for the repairs as in pictures #11, #12 & #13 with leather Bond-3D - topping it with suede fibers from hidden corners.

Leather Doctor® Suede Leather Care Kit-S3

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-S - 120ml
    Suede Eraser-5 - 1pc
    Suede (brass) Brush-3 - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 5pcs

Email [email protected] for prices.

[CENTER]

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

More background on this sofa, it is top grain suede, when unzipping a cushion the smooth top grain is on the inside, even on the back where they ripped it.
    I've never seen top grain suede, I presume a very premium furnishing. Any idea, if it's not worth restoring i will let hte other company know to right it off.
    Another company was called in to mitigate the water damage, I believe they extracted with a truck-mount and tried cleaning it with some kind of leather cleaner. I see tool marks all over it. There are only a few areas that still look like suede. The rest is very stiff and matted down. I had Jermaine rinse a back cushion thoroughly, hydrate, Fatliquore and cover with plastic over the week end to see how it looks and feels monday. We will let it thoroughly dry Monday and then try to restore the nap with nubuck eraser and nubuck brush.
    We need you suggestions if you think we should try something else or are we on track?

More background on this sofa, it is top grain suede, when unzipping a cushion the smooth top grain is on the inside, even on the back where they ripped it. I've never seen top grain suede, I presume a very premium furnishing.

Sure it is, as split-suede is coarser and would not have the strength of the top-grain suede.

Any idea, if it's not worth restoring i will let hte other company know to right it off.

It is sure to be able to restore it, especially critical is the structure rejuvenating process; to purge out all foreign contamination at the same time.

Another company was called in to mitigate the water damage, I believe they extracted with a truck-mount and tried cleaning it with some kind of leather cleaner. I see tool marks all over it. There are only a few areas that still look like suede. The rest is very stiff and matted down. I had Jermaine rinse a back cushion thoroughly, hydrate, Fatliquore and cover with plastic over the week end to see how it looks and feels monday.
    We will let it thoroughly dry Monday and then try to restore the nap with nubuck eraser and nubuck brush. We need you suggestions if you think we should try something else or are we on track?

You are on the right track, however; we do not know the chemistry from the truck-mount extraction; alkalinity is bad as it may upset the hydrogen-bonding between the leather protein fibers with the leather constituents especially the fatliquor – that ‘s the reason for the stiffening naps turning sandpaper-like-feel.

You will need lots of neutralizing with Acidifier-2.0 soaking in and extract; thereafter purge out the foreign contamination with Hydrator-3.3 and dwelling it overnight to relax the stiffed fibers; thereafter Fatliquor-5.0 it sufficiently; to return the suppleness and strength to the leather.

Tips:
    With all these wet process; the technique is to check the moisture content with finger and thumb squeeze; moisture content should oozed out easily to be effective to restore the softness back to the leather nap.

Do you think the Problem Solving Guide is simple to understand...any suggestion for improvement?

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-12-2011 at 05:40 PM.

I like the guide, I will print it out and use it, we will let you know if there are any improvements needed. Do you have a guide for Pigmented, Aniline and Semi-aniline Leathers?

Yes, I will post it accordingly!

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information