Thread: Nubuck - Aniline, Nubuck Couch? Not sure - but definitely sure this is sun fade - I know nothing about leather other than I absolutely love it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Default Nubuck - Aniline, Nubuck Couch? Not sure - but definitely sure this is sun fade - I know nothing about leather other than I absolutely love it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hi! You guys really seem to know your stuff!
    I was wondering if any of you could confirm for me that this is top grain nubuck and what I can do as far as helping this poor ten-year-old couch survive another ten years. (If you say I have to dye it brown, I won't cry - but I have no clue how to do that.) I had a leather guy come out today to clean it. He said that if he messed with the color it would feel like sandpaper, he spot cleaned it for me but said it wasn't really dirty enough. I'm not sure what to do. (When I blow out my candles on my birthday cake, I'm gonna wish that my couch was dark brown though! (I have kids - a thirteen month old, an 8 yr. old, and a 12 yr. old))
    Here are some pics... I know nothing about leather other than I absolutely love it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Nubuck may come in the standard types, pull-up in oil, in wax or a combination of oil and wax.

The similarity is that these are all aniline dyed and thereafter buff with 320grit emery sanding paper; to produce a “finger writing effect”; sometime also known as “velvet suede”.

The difference is that additional fashion pull-up effect is infused into the leather; besides the effect of oil or wax or a combination; it’s for additional protection against staining or waterproofing – made popular by timberland shoes.

However, most of the nubuck furnishings are the standard type; still you can find some that is embossed.

The wax effect is more common than the oil effect – these leathers when pull or stretch will lighten up and when heat (hair dryer) is applied it will revert back to the original shade.

The distinction between a suede and a nubuck is that the nubuck is buffed at the grain side; so the reverse is the rough suede side; while else the suede reverse side is the smooth leather grain. The suede is ruled out here; information is just for general knowledge.

Where the nubuck has no nap; especially on the unused area; it may turn out to be pigmented printed nubuck design; looks like nubuck but actually is pigmented leathers.

Based on picture #2, it looks like nubuck; and the fading as you said assure us that it is aniline dyed, so the pigmented imitation is ruled out; and the top grain only can be confirm that it has the “finger writing effect” and the reverse is suede; and whether it has the pull-up effect you have to test it out. Picture #4 is where I mention about the pigmented printed because of the sheen; nubuck is matte; maybe it’s the camera that picks up too much reflection. Picture #3 shows the shiny cushion seat – seldom seem on nubuck; again what has been used to cause these shine?

My suggestion is that you retake better pictures and we can go from there; in the meantime do some testing:

1] Does it absorbed water readily; reverse the cushion and test it.

2] Finger nail scratch; reverse unused side to see if it will turn lighter; apply heat with hair dryer to see if it returns back to original shade.

3] Write with your finger to see if you can see the “finger writing effect”.

4] Show us the contrasting color from the un-exposed to sunlight (reverse the cushion) and compare with the worst faded area.

From your feedback we will know which care kit matches the nubuck type; and for the lost of color thru fading; we can reactivate from within the leather structure by hydrating without resorting to dyeing. You may have seen a 20 yrs faded nubuck; when hydrated and fatliquor surprises you.

It’s one of these kits:

Leather Doctor® Nubuck Leather Care Kit-N.c

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-S - 120ml
    Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
    Nubuck Eraser-5 - 1pc
    Nubuck (nylon) Brush-2 - 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 6pcs

Leather Doctor® Nubuck Oil Pull-Up Leather Care Kit-NO.c

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Oil Effect-2.8 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-B - 120ml
    Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
    Nubuck Eraser-5 - 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 6pcs

Leather Doctor® Nubuck Wax Pull-Up Leather Care Kit-NW.c

Contents:
    Prep-4.4 - 60ml
    Degreaser-2.2 - 60ml
    Cleaner-3.8 - 250ml
    Rinse-3.0 - 250ml
    Hydrator-3.3 - 250ml
    Fatliquor-5.0 - 250ml
    Wax Effect-8.6 - 250ml
    Leather Scent-D - 120ml
    Leather Eraser-4 - 1pc
    Nubuck Eraser-5 - 1pc
    3” Poly-Brush® - 1pc
    Washable Rags - 6pcs

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.

When I blow out my candles on my birthday cake, I'm gonna wish that my couch was dark brown though!

You may keep your wishes for your children.

As for keeping it brown for the next 50-100 years is not a problem as long as you follow my recommendation.

Overall photo

Look into fold to show fading

The result of hydrating and fatliquoring; activating the dormant dyestuff to resurface.

Wow! You are a wealth of knowledge!!! How lucky I am to have found you!
    I can tell you right now - the sheen/shine is coming from a product that my mom was using on the couch to try to help keep it conditioned/clean. She's a fan of that Queen of Clean lady who promotes a product called Leather CPR. Mom would buy canisters of the stuff and slather the couch in it. I guess in some ways it was okay since it kept the sun faded spots from becoming brittle??? But it definitely changed the texture of the leather and caused it to be shiny. I've taken some new photos hoping to show that. Where mom put the Leather CPR stuff, there is no 'finger writing' ability whatsoever. But when I unzipped the back cushion from the couch (an area she hadnt' gotten to with the cream), it has the finger writing effect and is still bright blue and suede-like.

Here's a pic of the sheen/shine difference - I'm glad you mentioned to go to an area untouched!

The finger writing effect picture done on the untouched cushion back:

The poor cushion that was sitting near the porch window - which also looked out to the lake - reflection of the water had to do some damage despite window treatments.

Another shot of the fade:

We did the stretch test to see if it would discolor (on the part of the fabric unfaded and untouched by Leather CPR):

Though we have the hairdryer handy, it didn't seem to change the shade at all.

We did the water test to the back of that cushion that was untouched by the Leather CPR - soaked the water droplets right in!

I really dig those brown chaises! I think I would really dig this couch in that brown too...

Here's a pic of the sheen/shine difference - I'm glad you mentioned to go to an area untouched!

This sheen/shine has to go, to reverted back to the original; now it’s a pariah, not the “pure pedigree” of what nubuck should be.
    To remove the years of accumulation may require the strongest cleaner to do the stripping with this pH value 2.3, Stripper-2.3.

The finger writing effect picture done on the untouched cushion back:

With this test, we know for sure it is blue and it’s nubuck.

The poor cushion that was sitting near the porch window - which also looked out to the lake - reflection of the water had to do some damage despite window treatments.

Nubuck derived its color from transparent aniline dyes and is inherently not strong against UV light in comparison to pigment color. The good news is that it can be activated through the leather structure rejuvenating process to wick-up the dormant dyestuff to the surface.

Another shot of the fade:

Unfortunately, the unwanted conditioner that cause these shine is definitely going to resist the releasing or accepting new dyestuff; unless they are effectively removed.

We did the stretch test to see if it would discolor (on the part of the fabric unfaded and untouched by Leather CPR):

This test confirm that this is the standard nubuck type; and not any of the other pull-up types.

Though we have the hairdryer handy, it didn't seem to change the shade at all.

So, it’s a double confirmation; and the care kit that matches this leather is Kit-N.c

So the products requirement for a complete restoration includes:

1] Kit-N.c
    2] Stripper-2.3
    3] Nubuck Dye-21
    4] Nubuck Dye-Fix-99

The original tender loving care if done with understanding and having the right system would not have reach this sad stage; all the hard work unfortunate have to be removed, and taking it out may be ten time more tedious than putting it in.

Do you wish to proceed further, how best to salvage it?

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

We were thrilled to take this couch off mom and dad's hands when they decided to buy a new one. They were planning on taking it to Goodwill after being unable to sell it on Craigslist and solicited our help in getting it out for the new couch. My husband and I are total project addicts, so we are definitely looking to learn as much as we can about leather, rehabilitating it, and loving it properly. Tedious is fine!

I shall walk you through, once you have the products ready...

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Wonderful!!!! Do you have a source from which I can purchase these Leather Doctor products or is it available in a particular store?

Oh, I should mention too - In a few other posts I read, it was mentioned that substances had to be removed from the inside out. That got me thinking about whether that meant that the leather would have to be removed from the frame of the couch (I may be too literal!) and I know that I don't have the skills or tools to sew the leather back together. That's the one caveat.

To remove from the suede side is easier, and safer if only the unwanted products has penetrated to the reverse side.

You may unzip all the cushions to inspect; there is no necessity to remove the leather from the frame; in fact the leather covering is recommended to be put back in place during the drying process to regain it's shape, while it is still wet (to prevent distortion when the leather is dry).

So show us some pictures of the worst cushion, the reverse side!

As for the products, please email me for the prices.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Jesann21 View Post
    Oh, I should mention too - In a few other posts I read, it was mentioned that substances had to be removed from the inside out. That got me thinking about whether that meant that the leather would have to be removed from the frame of the couch (I may be too literal!) and I know that I don't have the skills or tools to sew the leather back together. That's the one caveat.

The “Caveat” in this project is how effective we can strip this unwanted Leather CPR…return to its original finger writing effect...and evenly clean enough to accept the new dyes...so you know what we are up against.

This is really challenging, how best we can strip off these unwanted CPR.

It would be good if you can find out the chemistry make-up of this CPR - the pH and the ingredient.

Either you send me the sample for me to test it out or you have to test it out at your end.

Here are the pictures of the nubuck blue dye and the dye fix that may fail to do its work against the CPR.

Nubuck Dye-21 (60ml Blue-119)
    It’s for nubuck and suede. This is a new generation aqueous transparent dyestuff to provide a more lively and brilliant color than standard dyes.

Dye Fix-99 (60ml Natural)
    It’s a natural finish for Pure-Aniline, Nubuck and Suede. This is an aqueous formulation dye fix spray to abate crocking. Crocking is greatly reduced or eliminated on most leather with good fixing of both dyes and micro pigment colors. It improves wet rub fastness and reduces bleeding. It maintains the natural feel and “finger writing effect” of the nap.

Thread Information